• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to AAPF...

Genie51

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Smith
Hi...I'm Genie...Jeanne, actually. I live in the pacific NW (tho I'm from So Cal)...up here 14 yrs now. We live on 2+ acres of forest foothills, so lots of deer come here. It's a beautiful place and we love it! We also have 2 very large ponds, complete with fish...koi, goldies, and mosquito fish, and a catfish, plus a turtle. The herons come here all the time, to eat, but there's plenty of fish for them, too.
I just started keeping small conures last summer, tho I do have experience with other birds. I had a Red Mitred Conure for over 30 years...he died about 4 years ago. I used to raise cockatiels, and still have 2 left (one was the breeding male, and one son, who is a bit loopy)...they're both in their mid 20's. I've also had quite a few parakeets, and currently have 2 (males)...one yellow w/red eyes, and one white and bright blue. (I also have 6 cats, and we have an old blind and deaf pug. The cats pretty much ignore the birds, and leave the room when I let the birds out.)
Two years ago, after missing my parrot so much, I was at PetSmart, and they had this lovely male yellow-sided conure there. He was pretty expensive and I didn't think my hubby would go for it, so I hemmed and hawed over him for a couple of weeks, then when I finally decided I wanted him, the mgr of the store bought him for herself. ugh. Last June, I was in that store and there was another yellow-sided there. He was so beautiful, and since I'd missed out on the last one, I decided I was taking him no matter what! So, after playing Let's Make a Deal with the people there (who also know me well, having shopped there for years...we also have had many fish, and currently have 3 beardies), they made a great deal with me which included a large floor cage and toys! They said Tyghe (as in tie) was about 7 months old, so still a baby. He was/is such a sweet bird, tho, being male, is VERY bitey at times, and he talks a LOT! ;D
Then, in August, I was back in that store, and they had another conure in there...this one was a female Cinnamon Green Cheek. She was so adorable, rolling over and laying on her back and just running around the show tank, playing. So I got them to make another deal for her, tho this one didn't include the cage (which I bought a week later, online). She was about 5 or 6 months old, and loopy. lol Her name is Celebi, and she's so sweet! Turned out she couldn't fly as someone at the store had cut her flight feathers way up under her wings and they weren't growing out, so when she'd end up on the floor, I'd just call her and she'd come running to me. I was worried about her flight feathers and did a lot of searching the net, but found nothing. Well, I'm happy (I think) to say that they FINALLY grew out and now she's flying all over the house! At least she lets me know where she is so I can get her! :D
Their floor cages are next to each other and in front of a south-facing picture window, so they can see out and get sun. They get along quite well, often spending the night in one another's cage, and sometimes in opposite cages, to waylay boredom. Both cages have playpens on top so there's lots to do, and we are all right there, for attention. It didn't take long for them to adjust to each other, 2 or 3 weeks, I think, and a lot of patience, since Tyghe was bonded with us and didn't want to share at first. But now he's protective of her and sometimes a bit too protective, so I have to distract him when I want to put her in her cage, at bedtime.
As I said, Tyghe talks a lot...they both do...they have their "regular" voice-talk, that chirpy call, but with words, and Tyghe has his "low voice" talk and says things that my daughter says to him..."Behave yourself", "Love you", "stop it", "that hurts", "goodnight Tyghe", "goodnight Celebi"...etc. He talks himself to sleep. LOL
My granddaughter just got a Cinnamon Turquoise male, but may not be able to keep him and asked if I would like him. I told her I would love to have him but because I already have a male, that might create conflict. Can anyone validate or deny that? If I were to take him, would it be best to get another female?
I've added pix of my first conure, Paco, and pix of my current conures, Tyghe & Celebi. Thank you for having me here...
...Jeanne

Abby and Paco, 2012.png Tyghe & Celebi.png

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Welcome to the site! What a beautiful fur and feather family you have there. I can't wait to hear more stories about them.

I love the expressions on the last two.like they are trying to figure something out.

Your cat is gorgeous with his shinny black coat. I have always wanted a black cat.

Genie51

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Smith
Thank you. My kitty, Abby, is a f...she's about 13 yrs old and a very sweet kitty. I love black cats, too, and have had a few. My kitties, there are 6, are Abby (f, black), Koga (m, gray tabby), Angel (she looks like a wooly bear caterpillar), Luna (f, calico), Tigger (m, adopted, gray tabby), and Ellis (m, tuxedo).
I love the expressions my birdies make, too...they're so funny! They respond to us pretty well. When I don't want them flying around the house, I put them on top of their cages and tell them to stay there, and they do! (Unless someone makes a sudden noise, like a sneeze...) The pic I posted of them, they were sitting on my laptop. I have a colorful keyboard and they were interested in the keys. lol

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Your conures are beautiful. Post some photos of your other birds, too, when you get a chance.
Sorry for the loss of Paco.
@webchirp has lots of conures. Hopefully, she will give you her opinion about adding the cinnamon male.

Genie51

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Smith
Lol...I was just informed by my dgt that I misspelled my male bird's name...she says it's Tygh. ugh. They spellings they make for common names! :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Genie51

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Smith
Thank you "IamwhoIam"... Actually I'd intended to post pix of my other birds, but got side-tracked by my babies, who suddenly decided to fly around the house! lol It was time for them to go back into their house for awhile, anyway. They'd been out since early this AM.
Thanks for the info @webchirp...I'll be sure to ck it out.

Genie51

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Smith
Thank you "Sunny's mom". I have a Sunny, too...a yellow parakeet.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
Welcome to AA. Tyhe and Celebi are gorgeous! Do post photos of the rest of your flock. :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thank you. My kitty, Abby, is a f...she's about 13 yrs old and a very sweet kitty. I love black cats, too, and have had a few. My kitties, there are 6, are Abby (f, black), Koga (m, gray tabby), Angel (she looks like a wooly bear caterpillar), Luna (f, calico), Tigger (m, adopted, gray tabby), and Ellis (m, tuxedo).
I love the expressions my birdies make, too...they're so funny! They respond to us pretty well. When I don't want them flying around the house, I put them on top of their cages and tell them to stay there, and they do! (Unless someone makes a sudden noise, like a sneeze...) The pic I posted of them, they were sitting on my laptop. I have a colorful keyboard and they were interested in the keys. lol

Wow, I can't wait to see photos of the rest of your family, kitty cats and birds. =^ ^=

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!