• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New tiel, need help

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
hello.
I got a new 4.5 month old male tiel three days ago. I bought him from a trusted breeder and they told me the bird is very tame. But my bird is really scared of me. I have to reach my hand in the cage to change the water and everything and the poor bird starts to jump around.. fly.. fall on the bottom of the cage. Clearly panicking. He is not letting ANY sounds out. He’s super quiet. No peep in 3 days. Is this normal? How do I help the bird stay calm when changing up the stuff in the cage? He eats, drinks, plays with his toys sometimes. But likes to nap during the day. I cover him at night because the lady said he’s used to that and may feel better with things he’s familiar with. The bird wasn’t afraid of the breeder, let her scratch his head, he stepped up on her finger, basically wasn’t afraid at all. But when the bird arrived here he completely switched. His crest is always up, even when sleeping, but kinda down when he eats and grooms himself or plays with the toys. The breeder said the bird should settle in and eat from my hand in like.. 3 or 2 days. However he’s really scared of everyone getting near him. What can I do?

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome! Your new bird needs time to adjust to his new home. His cage is his safe place. Right now he is afraid of you. Approach him at other times other than just to change water and place food in his cups. Talk to him softly when you approach his cage. Offer him a treat - tiels usually love millet. Also - don't force him out of his cage or reach him to get him out of his cage. Give him more time to adjust. He'll come around.

shayla

Moving in
Hi! I'm no expert obviously but i have some experience with trying to tame birds and hand-raising them. Is your tiels wings (flight feathers) cut? And how big is your cage? There could be many things that are stressing him out in the new environment like other animals, loud noises and new things surrounding him. Some people don't agree with cutting their birds wings but they do grow back so it does the bird no harm. When i handled untame birds, things i did was clip their wings (safely and get someone like a vet or trusted person with experience to do it so the bird can be mean to them, not you) cutting their wings will make it a bit more safer if you do take them out so they dont fly and hurt themselves. take them and their cage into a quiet room by yourself and talk to them. If they are calm enough for you to take them out and let them sit on your hand or shoulder then try that and be slow with your movements also dont put your hand over top of them as some might find it threatening and freak out. But dont force them because they will only stress more. Ill leave it at that for now, i can add more if you need and if you have more questions please ask. Once again not an expert so somebody else might come later and give you better advice :) But just know that it does take time and patience especially because he is a bit older, although because hes from a breeder and she said hes tame it shouldn't take as long as others.

Max83

Walking the driveway
Take millet in one open hand and stay calm whistling and talking softly to him, don't stare at him with both eyes because you could resemble more a predator. Try to bent your head on one side when you watch him. He'll settle. That could require weeks, not necessary days.
Was he allowed to fledged and fly properly before? Does he come out of cage?

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
He seems pretty brave and confident in his cage. He will have his first molt really soon and I don’t really want to clip my birds wings. I think he needs more time aswell. I’ll attach an image of his cage. FBDCD018-BA3A-4334-81F5-4589A04AB88B.jpeg

He was allowed to be out of his cage before and he did fly before. He is really scared to go out of his cage now though.
I’ll try to wait some more and work with him more. I’m really careful with my birdie! I’ll post an update some time, thank you all for the replies!

shayla

Moving in
Theres no need to cut them if you dont wan to anyway and i do agree that he needs time. I think its mainly because he has moved to a completely new place and is still unsure. Get him to trust you and be patient with him and it should get better with time

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Welcome and congrats on your new bird! Does he have a name?

It's good that you're not clipping him. It's a horrible practice that does zilch for relationship building. :rolleyes: Forcing someone to depend on you to get around is no way to make friends and, especially for a young bird, can have very lasting effects on their confidence, stamina, and future ability to fly.

I always recommend sitting near a new bird's cage and reading to them. It's a good way to let them get used to your voice and presence without direct interaction, and a lot of birds enjoy it. I'll still sit down and read aloud to my fids, though Zyda prefers to talk over me. :blabber:

Be calm and have patience. Your little tiel will come around when he's ready.

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
Yes! His name is Niffy. Silly name, I know, but I called him after a tiel I had when I was really young. :D
I sit down nearby him and talk to him everyday, he seems to be scared but somewhat interested.
Thanks for the warm welcome !

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Niffy! :)

I think it's a fine name...my computer doesn't understand it, though...:rolleyes:

Patience is the key here...remember, you and Niffy have twenty-some more years together! ;)

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Yes! His name is Niffy. Silly name, I know, but I called him after a tiel I had when I was really young. :D
I sit down nearby him and talk to him everyday, he seems to be scared but somewhat interested.
Thanks for the warm welcome !
Aww, I think Niffy is an adorable name! :D

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Looks like a sweetie pie to me! Many congrats!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting your 'tiel. Niffy is in a new environment with unfamiliar objects and people so just be patient. Even a hand tamed bird can be afraid of strangers.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on getting Niffy! With patience he should relax and get comfortable with you eventually. Try saving millet just for taming, and drop a little piece in his dish when you walk by. Reading aloud near his cage is a great idea too. I can’t wait to hear more about him!

Lillemor

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
hello.
bought him from a trusted breeder and they told me the bird is very tame. But my bird is really scared of me.
I'm not an expert, but in my experience: a tame bird for me, is not a tame bird for anyone else.

With my daughters first bird (Gwaine) it took about 10 days before he voluntary flew my shoulder first time. A week ago, 3 years later, he voluntary flew to my daugthers shoulder for the first time. She was so happy her patience finally paid off. :)

Give your beautiful bird some time, be patient, speak softly to him, let him know your hand, and he will learn to trust you. :)

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
How do I offer him treats to tame him though? Every time my hands get near the bars of his cage, he starts freaking out. I always do everything slowly and carefully, but he’s really afraid of hands, I noticed. Maybe I should open the cage for him to maybe go out? Because he seems like he sometimes really gets pissed to be in the cage, jumping all around and chewing around the cage door.
Also the breeder called me the other day and asked how he’s doing. I told her he’s still afraid and she said to remove all his food in the morning and wait 2 hours, then offer him a hand with some seeds to see if he will come eat. If he doesn’t, then repeat after 2 hours until it’s 2 am, when it’s 2 am she said to put all the food back in until the morning. I don’t really like this method so I’m not doing it.
He’s still pretty scared and shaking when there’s someone in the room. He already almost broke off all of his tail feathers flying and falling around in his cage.. I’m really worried about him

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Try covering his cage on three sides and just leaving the front uncovered for now. That way he doesn't have to be on alert for danger from all sides. Is the room quiet? Silence can be scary for birds because it means danger to them in the wild. So try playing some soft music or leave the TV on during the day. And for now, I would just sit near him. Read a book or something so you're with him but not really interacting with him. Even read to him so he gets used to you in a nonthreatening way. I also wouldn't remove the food that seems kind of cruel to me. Tiels pretty much should have access to food 24/7. Also, I can't tell from the picture but are the only perches in his cage dowel perches? You should get some different ones if so because only dowel perches can lead to bumblefoot. (They're too uniform and puts the pressure point a bird's feet in the same places all the time.) Just try to take things very slowly with your tiel. He has to learn to trust you. He'll come around. :)

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
I don’t really know what a dowel perch is but he has 2 wooden perched the cage came with and a temporary yellow perch. Like this: 7F9A0A57-986C-4248-A939-A83674359337.jpeg

He’s perching on one right now. There’s also one wooden a bit lower. And in the top right the yellow perch. He usually perches on the rope toy I got him though. What perches should I buy? Also, the tv is on almost all the time and it’s almost never quiet in the room.

535C8CB6-D8BC-4EAD-836B-697680100A07.jpeg

Beautiful birdie! :joyful:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The one he's standing on in the top picture is a dowel perch. It's okay to have dowel perches as long as he has other types too. :)

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
He's in a new environment and that is scary. He doesn't know what is going on or what to expect. I agree, I don't like the sounds of the method the breeder mentioned. The best thing is to let him have a few days to a couple weeks of chill time. Try not to bug him too much. Let him get used to his new safe place and home. Then like others mentioned sit as close as he will allow and read to him or just talk to him for a little bit each day. After a while he should get used to your voice and feel a bit safer.

Sounds to me like he might have cage aggression. It's a territory thing. Probably best to open the cage and let him come out on his own. It may be as simple as he doesn't like hands in his cage.

Try not to force anything. Give him options not demands.

You got this!

JSeok

Meeting neighbors
Sounds to me like he might have cage aggression. It's a territory thing. Probably best to open the cage and let him come out on his own. It may be as simple as he doesn't like hands in his cage.
But what if he actually goes out of his cage.. and then starts to fly around? How do I catch him? I’m afraid that will make him fear me more. I dunno. Is it worth a try?