• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New The Forum AND Parrots!

Halle

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Halle
Hi, my name is Halle and I'm hoping to get a parrot of my own soon! I've never had a parrot before, but I am familiar to the concept of having a pet. I have had dogs, cats, rats, hermit crabs and at one point a canary. But I have absolutely no experience with parrots. I've been researching for almost 6 months and then I came across this forum a few days ago and finally signed up today! I've always been drawn to birds for some reason so I figured it has to be a sign:laugh:

I figured I would ask for species recommendations. Here is what I'm looking for in a bird: I want a bird that is likely to be active and playful as well as cuddly. As for noise level I'd prefer less noise or at least minimal screaming. I don't really care much about coloring or speaking ability. I want a parrot that will be able to learn tricks though.

So, what do you guys think?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Whenever these kind of posts come up the first questions that come to mind don't have anything to do with what kind of bird is good for you. They have to do with you and where you are in life.

Are you in charge of your own life? Do you have a home and provide for yourself? How much stability and consistency can you provide a parrot going forward for the next few decades minimum?

If you are a minor being supported and living in your parents home under your parents rules, you are not a good candidate for a parrot. Simply because a minor doesn't have the power or resources to be in total control of the birds life. They don't even have control over their own. That's only the first reason. There's many more.

Owning a parrot is not like owning any of the animals you mentioned. This is a whole different ball game.

Almost any kind of parrot can meet the criteria your looking for because again this is more about "you". The environment you provide. The way you handle and nurture them. The diet you provide. Do it well and you'll end up with a lovely bird. Do it badly and you'll create a monster. No matter the species. There are no bad birds. Just bad owners.

So where do you fit in?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:hello:

I agree with the wise Cribb.

Those are important questions to ask yourself before you jump into taking care of a bird for the next 10, 20 or even 50 years.
Are you ready for a small toddler that will never grow up & will make a perpetual mess & chew up everything they get their beak near?
If your bird screams or learns to scream will you get evicted or will you just wear earplugs for years?

Really only budgies are quiet enough for most apartments.
Walls are not always thick & not all neighbors are wanting to hear bird noise all day.

Small & medium size birds are more quiet than large macaws or toos which can really be a challenge.

Alot of people will get a conure or a tiel but there are so many kinds.

Do research. Read each forum species starting with the GOOD BAD & UGLY.
Go out & look at birds...meet them & sit & talk with them & remember when you get them home
its everyday til death do us part for many hours non stop. They will call to you to get what they want.
All day if they have to...They will announce with a scream when you flush in the bathroom so everyone knows
things came out alright. You will feel like you have a leash around your neck & when you leave the room they will remind you.

That's what they live for & its all they do so don;t think they will tire of it as they won;t...

:welcomeflag:

Seriously...its a life changing experience & can also be very rewarding but its not for everyone...

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welave:
I hope you enjoy the forum! Is there a rescue you can volunteer with for a while where you can meet various types of birds? This would help you to gain some knowledge and get a feel for different types of birds. Also, you might meet a bird that needs a home and that's right for you!

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
:welcomeavenue:
I am new on here to but everyone has been so helpful & friendly.
I'm sure you will get lots of good suggestions.
Good Luck

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah

Lots of good questions from the others posters. A big difference between birds and lot of other pets is lifespan. Even the little ones like cockatiels can live 20+ years. So where you think you'll be in the future is a really important consideration.

You didn't mention a size preference. I'd encourage you to look into smaller birds. I think they are often overlooked but they can make really wonderful pets. Little birds are IMHO better for people new to birds. There are threads about big vs little birds here which I think will give you a good idea why smaller are best for new owners :)

Personally cockatiels come to mind for what you described. I had one and he was wonderful but I haven't has much experience with other types of other small parrots. This forum is a wonderful resource to learn about all sorts of species. Like @camelotshadow said the Good bad and ugly threads is a really good place to to start.

And again welcome to the forum and enjoy your time here :greet14:

Halle

Real Name
Halle
I actually have asked myself about what I'm ready for and what my current life situation can accommodate. Ive been considering a lot and have asked questions on other forums. I feel like I'm gonna be ready for a bird by sometime next year so I'm trying to prepare myself now and keep preparing myself up to that point.

In fact, I have an account set up that will serve as an emergency/medical fund for my parrot and I think that that I'll have a good start when the time comes for me to get one. I really want to give whatever parrot that comes my way a good life. That's why I'm trying to get ready now.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Some things to keep in mind also is if you live with other people. Birds are really a household commitment. No Teflon pans, no smoking, no burning candles, no air freshners, etc. Making sure doors and windows are kept closed if the bird is out, etc. As was suggested already, read through the good, bad and ugly section to get some ideas, keeping in mind of course, that each bird is unique and all statement don't apply to all birds of a particular type. If there are any places near you with birds- rescues, stores, etc., interacting with birds is really the best way to see what type you like. I think cockatiels would be a good bird to consider. :) They're very laid back compared to most other parrots and can be very snuggly.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Welcome! Good for you for doing your research beforehand! :) As I'm sure you could tell, owning a parrot is a lot of work... but in my opinion, totally worth it. I think many parrot species can be active, playful, cuddly, and intelligent-- of course, varying individual to individual-- but as for no screeching, you probably want to steer clear of macaws, 'toos, and/or the aratinga conures.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I hope everything works out for you.

One of the first things though I think about when I read posts about all the pets someone's owned....is, how many do you still have?

If none, why? Death from old age? Or other reasons?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Welcome! It is great that you are researching and preparing ahead of time.

I love that you want to teach your parrots tricks. I train mine. Any parrot, in fact any animal, can be trained as long as they you can find what motivates them and provide. You have to convince them that it is their idea.

The tricks in themselves are cool but the coolest thing is you can also train useful behaviors which will help you to get a long with your bird.

I have six caique who are all fully flighted and at the moment quite hormonal. Check out the good the bad and the ugly post on caiques. I took months to learn about positive reinforcement training, bought videos, book and attended workshops and classes. I can say that I do not have "ugly" behaviors except for one behavior with one bird who is not quite as socialized as the others. It is all because of the training.

Learn about behavior and training, that is my top tip for potential parrot keepers. Oh yeah, at I second JLcribber's "know thyself first" :)

Welcome!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
Welcome!! Parrots are a blast but like everyone said, you have to be prepared! I'd be prepared to have bits of screaming or unwanted noise from any bird you may get!

I'd hang out with some if you have a chance so you can see if it's something you can handle. Reading about it online is a lot different than experiencing it!
I had lovebirds, and I couldn't handle their pitch when they'd get worked up. I could hear it anywhere in my house and even outside and it would make me cringe like nails on a chalkboard... and then there's my tiel who went through a phase of screaming every morning at 7am for months on end. And even my tiel you can now hear outside my apartment building, and every day when I get home and close the outside building door I hear him start whistling. If you don't have nice neighbors it could be a real problem!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I actually have asked myself about what I'm ready for and what my current life situation can accommodate. Ive been considering a lot and have asked questions on other forums. I feel like I'm gonna be ready for a bird by sometime next year so I'm trying to prepare myself now and keep preparing myself up to that point.

In fact, I have an account set up that will serve as an emergency/medical fund for my parrot and I think that that I'll have a good start when the time comes for me to get one. I really want to give whatever parrot that comes my way a good life. That's why I'm trying to get ready now.

I have had several birds the ones I have now have been with me for 15 years. Like others have said birds live long.
Some birds can be very expensive. I have heard a lot of good things about Caique's I have never had one but they can be pricey. Conures are fun birds but can be very noisy but you should be able to get them reasonable prices. I have a Sun Conure. Cockatiels are great little birds not to noisy can be friendly but not as playful.
Not sure where you are but check & see if you have a local bird club or group. That would be the best way for you to maybe see some of the different birds.
Also you may want to check for bird rescues near you maybe you can foster a bird or adopt.
Good Luck You will know when you find the right bird for you.
What size bird are you thinking?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Halle

Real Name
Halle
I have had several birds the ones I have now have been with me for 15 years. Like others have said birds live long.
Some birds can be very expensive. I have heard a lot of good things about Caique's I have never had one but they can be pricey. Conures are fun birds but can be very noisy but you should be able to get them reasonable prices. I have a Sun Conure. Cockatiels are great little birds not to noisy can be friendly but not as playful.
Not sure where you are but check & see if you have a local bird club or group. That would be the best way for you to maybe see some of the different birds.
Also you may want to check for bird rescues near you maybe you can foster a bird or adopt.
Good Luck You will know when you find the right bird for you.
What size bird are you thinking?
I'm looking for a bird that's medium sized but I'm not picky to be very honest. And I live on Oregon, the Portland area.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I'm looking for a bird that's medium sized but I'm not picky to be very honest. And I live on Oregon, the Portland area.
Pionus is a really good bird not to noisy (nicknamed the Apartment bird) I have a bronzed wing Pionus.
I did a quick search there is a bird club in the Medford OR.. I don't know if that is close to you.
But maybe check their website northwestbirdclub.org. I have really learned a lot from our local bird club.

BeeBop

Parrots are fun to have but they are a lot of responsibility! One thing you have to consider first is lifespan. Even budgies can live for a decade. You must ask yourself if you are prepared to have a bird for 10-35 years depending on what species you get. Another thing you should consider is the cost. The bigger the parrot generally means the bigger the cost. Can you afford to feed and house a parrot? Can you afford the cost of a parrot itself? Some medium sized birds can be 200-300 dollars. I know you are looking for a medium sized bird, but I would have to recommend a budgie. They can be taught some tricks, talk, and generally meet all your criteria. Not that you should get a parrot you don't want, just something you can consider. :)