• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new senegal cage

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks like a decent breeding cage so long as the wire is properly aged so as to present a low risk of zinc poisoning. I like to put the feeder bowls near the bottom level to make them move around more than just occupying the top part. Make sure there is plenty of light there. Not sure if it was just a one time thing, but make sure they get good natural light and good ventilation. I was feeling a little claustrophobic just looking at your picture from a lighting perspective. Should have a nice cosy dark corner to peak out from but an overall sense of light and space for good mental health. Hopefully there are some windows they can look out of even if its from a distance.

Flamer

Strolling the yard
yeah there is a window just on top of them its a huge area just slooks that way in the pic i havent put the ferns around it yet

but the cage is just sitting on a cage i have no stand for it

Flamer

Strolling the yard
i have a lot of full spectrum lights for them i dont know why it looks so gloomy it is 2am almsot though

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Looks like the cage is going to be difficult to clean, though. Why do you want to put ferns around the cage? Exposure to damp potting soil and the spores of ferns and mushrooms, etc, can cause respiratory problems and fungal infections in birds. I have stopped having live plants in the birdroom since I found growing fungi on the top of one of my asparagus ferns. I don't need them getting a fungal respiratory infection from plants.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I wouldn't put plants in the cage itself, since some birds will eat the potting soil. Plants next to the cage that they can sort of hide behind can give them a feeling of security if they are scared. You could also try bundles of fresh greens (hopefully they will eat some too) and in summer, fresh branches from bird safe trees with leaves.

Flamer

Strolling the yard
they seem much happier in it then in the other cage

I have to cut a hole so i can attach their nest box on the outside any ideas with that?