• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Ringneck Help!

Marcel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marcel
Fuzzy you are the absolute man. I can see now that ive had him for only few months that these steps are really slow because we have had to go back in training because I was rushing too much, thanks so much again for your help. By the way I did take rolex to the vets he is perfectly fine and healthy!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks for the great feedback, Marcel! Take training as slow as you need to go. You'll make more progress if you keep to multiple short sessions through the day rather than one long one. Stop way before Rolex gets bored or too full of treats. Always end on a successful step for him.

So glad Rolex is perfectly healthy. :dance4:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yay Rolex!!
Congratulations on your little baby steps, Marcel. Slow and patient are the best way to a bird's trust and heart. Keep at it! :)

Marcel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marcel
Small update on Rolex! he now steps onto my hand and is doing very well. Vet checked and on a great diet including pellets and fresh fruit and veg. However, when I talk to him he opens his beak looks like hes trying to talk back but doesn’t know how to, he doesn’t do this when I don’t talk to him it’s a little weird. does any one know what this could be?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Sounds like you are making great progress, Marcel!! You have done really well getting him to eat what sounds like a good diet.

Not sure about the open beak when you talk to him. I would read it taking in account the rest of his body language too. Something birds do is kind of "yawning" and "yawning" which can be adjusting their crop. But if repeated "yawning" is combined with "aggressive" body language (puffed head and hackles, pacing, eyes on you) it can be a sign that the bird is not happy - my Pionus does this sometimes.

Marcel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marcel
hi guys i finally recorded him doing the beak thing. any thoughts?