• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New ring neck who bites

Mithu

Moving in
hi guys

I am new to this forum and need some advice on taming my new Ring Neck. I adopted him from a family. He is a male 2 years old. He eats his seeds from my hand but bites if I go closer to him without a seed. The other day I opened his cage, he wanted to sit on my arm so I thought may be he knows how to step up. I gave him my arm and he bit me hard. He also doesn’t let go. I didnt scream but wanted to. Now m training him to fly to my arm so that I dnt get bit. But m scared he wil bite me anytime . And it hurts. Please advise how to tame him .

Attachments

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Welcome to the forum. He is a very handsome fellow.
He is scared too. He may not be used to being handled. Most birds bite.
Do you know any history about him? Did the previous owner have him out a lot?
Sit by his cage and read to him. Watch tv with him while he is in his cage.
Go slow. Give him time to get to know you.
Learn how to teach him to step up - search the internet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Beautiful bird.

Start him over, assume that he doesnt know anything and isn’t tame. When you start asking him to step up, use a stick or perch (not your arm).

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hes in a new scary place, and testing you...start very slowly with him...plus,,,its hormone season, so keep that in mind too...

Mithu

Moving in
Thx guys. It’s a male 2 yrs old . Was a one man bird with the previous owner. The owner never told him if Mithu has biting issues. Today I tried step up Trg with a perch. He got on the perch and sat on my arm. Then started moving towards the shoulder . Sat there for a second but I got scared. I felt he might just bite off my face. So I leaned on his cage and he went back. Second time he didn’t even wait for the perch and flew straight on my arm and on to the shoulder. Third time he got angry that m not letting him sit on my shoulder. Why’d I ke in the cage for few weeks ? He is flighted so can follow me anywhere in the house

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Mithu
THE .

I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE AVENUE!! WE'RE A BUNCH OF ANIMALS HERE!! HOPE YOU FIT RIGHT IN!!