• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New reason for passenger pigeon extinction

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Interesting. I read the book "A Feathered River Across the Sky" by Joel Greenberg this past summer about the fate of the Passenger Pigeon. It's almost an unbelievable tale considering how many individuals existed at the time. Sad in that it really is the perfect example of human greed and wanton disregard for the natural world. I'd hope we learned something from it...

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's such a shame that humans have Brought many of our fellow creatures to extinction or/ and near extinction..Passenger Pigeons were beautiful..
@BirdGuy21 ...you say you hope we learned something from it...we havent..not us,,,,here in our little group ..but the general bunch of humans.. just my 2 cents....

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I'd hope we learned something from it...
It seems, to me, we humans, for all our supposed intelligence, never learn.

Which leads me to ponder this question...

If you don't use your intelligence intelligently, are you still intelligent?

My Miyetti, the fledgling I raised last summer, turned out to be a Band Tailed Pigeon... the most closely related pigeon to the Passenger Pigeon. Miyetti made me look at pigeons in an entirely new light!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
It's such a shame that humans have Brought many of our fellow creatures to extinction or/ and near extinction..Passenger Pigeons were beautiful..
@BirdGuy21 ...you say you hope we learned something from it...we havent..not us,,,,here in our little group ..but the general bunch of humans.. just my 2 cents....
I'm afraid I agree with that @Birdbabe. It gives me a bleak outlook for humanity and the only world we have to live in. Reminds me of one of those quote- pictures that go around on Facebook. It says something to the effect of: once all the trees are cut down, streams polluted, and air sullied will we then realize we cannot eat money.

It seems, to me, we humans, for all our supposed intelligence, never learn.

Which leads me to ponder this question...

If you don't use your intelligence intelligently, are you still intelligent?
Good question @Ailen J. I think people get stuck in a particular point of view that fits their ideology and simply refuse to see anything that clashes or runs counter to that world view. Everyone's subject to this, but it seems that it is especially prevelant today. Once people are set on a particular view point it seems no amount of evidence in the world can change their opinion.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
How so? You've got some neat stories. :)
Just that they are far more intelligent than we, the supreme beings of intelligence, had ever thought. I've heard them referred to as flying rats, or as dirty cousins of the dove (duh! How stupid can one be?), so many times! I never really gave pigeons much thought before Miyetti. He was so beautiful, so different from any domesticated creature. It was such a privilege and honor to know this piece of our of the wild, who was my friend. Whenever I'm visiting my friend at the apartments where we used to live, I do the band tailed pigeon call, then holler, " Miyetti! Mi-yet-T-Bird!" and nine times out of ten, here comes the biggest Band Tailed Pigeon, swooping down to land on the utility wires above my head. He'll stay there as long as I do. He won't come down and land on my head, so I guess I can't say with 100% confidence, that this is my Miyetti, I believe it is. Most Band Tailed pigeons are wary of humans, unlike rock pigeons, who are easy to tame, so it must be him... besides, I know my friend when I see him.

While taking care of Miyetti, I did a lot of research on pigeons, and came to discover what wonderful, beautiful, and intelligent beings they are. They've saved countless lifes in many wars and other ways.
They are just great birds and I wouldn't have known that if not for Miyetti.

PS I see we are birthday twins!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Just that they are far more intelligent than we, the supreme beings of intelligence, had ever thought. I've heard them referred to as flying rats, or as dirty cousins of the dove (duh! How stupid can one be?), so many times! I never really gave pigeons much thought before Miyetti. He was so beautiful, so different from any domesticated creature. It was such a privilege and honor to know this piece of our of the wild, who was my friend. Whenever I'm visiting my friend at the apartments where we used to live, I do the band tailed pigeon call, then holler, " Miyetti! Mi-yet-T-Bird!" and nine times out of ten, here comes the biggest Band Tailed Pigeon, swooping down to land on the utility wires above my head. He'll stay there as long as I do. He won't come down and land on my head, so I guess I can't say with 100% confidence, that this is my Miyetti, I believe it is. Most Band Tailed pigeons are wary of humans, unlike rock pigeons, who are easy to tame, so it must be him... besides, I know my friend when I see him.

While taking care of Miyetti, I did a lot of research on pigeons, and came to discover what wonderful, beautiful, and intelligent beings they are. They've saved countless lifes in many wars and other ways.
They are just great birds and I wouldn't have known that if not for Miyetti.

PS I see we are birthday twins!
I knew you had a neat story behind that comment. :D And how cool that we have the same birthday!
:hug7:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I've always really liked pigeons and doves and hope to one day be able to bring a few into my home.