• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Quaker owner

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
He screams in his cage, out of his cage, on our knees, on the floor, inbwtween bites of food even he just seems to like the sound of his own voice, I'll try some smaller toys though thank you

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
When he screams maybe try whispering to him.

Also wanted to add that my quaker went through a bout of screaming, like you described, and I noticed that he was picking up on my energy. I have depression and anxiety.

I consciously make an effort to feel happy and let him feel my love for him and it instantly stops. They are like a sponge and pick up on our emotions. I'm not saying that that's what is happening at your house but I thought I'd mention it just incase.

Last edited:

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
that could be what's going on, my son has autism and our dog is very aware of his moods so makes sense that delta would pick up on it too, he's also being extra loud today but my son is with his nana so he's possibly a bit upset about that

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Delta's missing his best bud - your son.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
yes I think he really is, its not my company he wants poor boy, L will be back tomorrow so hopefully he'll be a little quieter then

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I'd like to say that most creatures pick up on who is a child and who is an adult and treat the children accordingly.

When I was a kid, my parents had an English cocker spaniel called David. very good guard dog, patient with us kids beyond belief. The one thing he didn't like was having someone approach him from behind and try to pat him when he was out in public on a leash. Back then in Uruguay most people didn't ask if they could pat your dog, they just tried to and Davy's reaction was to snap. And yet, Mum and I had watched more than one toddler do exactly that to him and he never turned a hair.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Yes i think your right, our dog is a rescue and very aggressive towards most people including children but she adores my son, I think most of her aggression towards others comes from my son's social anxieties though as I find they like and dislike the same people.
Delta has settled down for the night now anyway and my son will be home nice and early, I just hope me neighbours don't hate me too much

Laura729

Jogging around the block
He screams in his cage, out of his cage, on our knees, on the floor, inbwtween bites of food even he just seems to like the sound of his own voice, I'll try some smaller toys though thank you
If you can try and overly praise him at any times he IS quiet, that could help too. Lucius used to dance + scream when he was in his cage and wanted attention/I wasn't letting him out fast enough, but has learned (for the most part) that he gets more attention when he doesn't scream, so he now often silently, but vigorously dances "at" me for attention, while staring at me and waiting for me to notice (which I continue to reward and praise - it's very cute). :joyful:

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
:congrats: What a cutie!!! Love the pictures.
So happy he is making you laugh. How is your son doing?
:birthday: to you son.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for the replies, turns out he really was just missing his pal and he's now back to his quieter self, they're both doing really well, I tried praising him when he was quiet as he can get a bit loud when he wants out or if we're eating something he wants, but as soon as I start telling him he's a good boy he starts shouting again, his personality is really starting to shine,it's like having a toddler in the house again

dodi17

Sitting on the front steps
I also have a new Quaker. His name is Rico. This little guy is extremely quiet. He rarely makes a peep but he makes a purring sound when I hand feed him. I hope this means he is happy. I can't even get him to step up. He is about 6 months old. Any advice?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I also have a new Quaker. His name is Rico. This little guy is extremely quiet. He rarely makes a peep but he makes a purring sound when I hand feed him. I hope this means he is happy. I can't even get him to step up. He is about 6 months old. Any advice?
Hi - I'd suggest you start your own thread in the Welcome Lane so you get seen more and will get more attention in regards to any questions. As for the "purring", yes a happy baby Quaker will sometimes purr. My avatar Quaker, Kiwi, did.

dodi17

Thanks for the advice. I'm also new to this forum.

dodi17

I think the show cut sounds ideal, untill then I'll just pad the areas where he tries to fly so he doesn't hurt himself too much
when I got my Rico 2 weeks ago his wings were fully clipped. The breeder I got him from did not recommend the show cut. She said he could easily injure those longer feathers and possibly a blood vein which could be dangerous. As I am new to this, I am just learning. I think I would prefer to let his feathers grow back and not cut them at all.