• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Quaker owner

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Forgot to add that the show cut will also allow the fid to land more softly than with a short cut.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
I think the show cut sounds ideal, untill then I'll just pad the areas where he tries to fly so he doesn't hurt himself too much

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Finally found something he likes.... He's crazy for strawberries, I'm hoping he will start trying more things now that he knows they taste good, he also sits rattling the cage door for me to let him out if a morning.
We do have a small problem though, he has decided that It's funny to throw his water all over his cage, I've tried several bowls but he's figured out how to tip them all up, any tips?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have to use stainless steel bowls that lock to keep my quaker from dumping them. You could also try ceramic ones. If he's going under them like Jingo does, you can also try to put a perch directly under it so he can't get leverage

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Try looking for a locking type of bowl but be aware that some darling little Quakers are mechanically inclined and can figure things out. Which is why I have JJ in a cage with mini-padlocks on some doors while the remainder have doors with a latch on the outside of the cage. Is Delta actually tossing the water bowl out or is she trying to take a bath in the bowl and knocking it out of place? My Quakers do love their baths and will make a sopping mess once they get going.

Quick Locking Parrot Food or Water Bowl - Small

Pots and bowls For Parrots | Scarletts Parrot Essentials

This was one brand I found locally which is Italian and (so far) has proven to be fool-proof against the green cheeks. MANGIATOIA LUNA - Tropical World It locks on the bottom. My gccs had also used a lixit quick lock crock but figured out how to disable the locking device on the back - Lixit Quick-Lock Cage Snuggler Crock - 3 fl oz | Big Al's

I've also used these as in-cage bird baths Discounted Bird Bowls

Hope some of this helps - I tried to post links to U.K. based sites for you.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Thanks, he isn't trying to take a bath he's deliberately spilling it.
I'm sure Delta will be an escape artist given time, I have clips on all his doors and he's already doing his best to figure them out, he's also determined to remove his swing, he tries from inside them climbs out and tries again, he's definitely trouble.
I've managed to find a new bowl today that so far he hasn't figured out but I'm sure it's only a matter of time so I'll take a look at those links thank you.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Ralph started dumping his food and water dishes shortly after I brought him home. He quit upsetting the water dish after he spilled water all over himself one day and didn't like that unpleasant surprise at all. But I had to switch to the locking type dish for his food, since it was so much fun to spill everything from the old dish, and he knew that could be done without getting soaked with water.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:congrats5: Delta is a cutie.

Lixit has locking plastic bowls.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Thanks, he isn't trying to take a bath he's deliberately spilling it.
I'm sure Delta will be an escape artist given time, I have clips on all his doors and he's already doing his best to figure them out, he's also determined to remove his swing, he tries from inside them climbs out and tries again, he's definitely trouble.
I've managed to find a new bowl today that so far he hasn't figured out but I'm sure it's only a matter of time so I'll take a look at those links thank you.
Consider finding some brain-teasing toys for Delta to take apart inside the cage - hopefully that will distract him from his bowls. If you can't find something that you think would work, please let me know. My first Quaker, Kiwi, had a spinning toy which she loved to disassemble and fling the parts to the bottom of her cage. I'm not trying to palm off her used one but I have a brand new one, completely unused, which I'd be happy to send to you. It sounds like your Delta might be a reincarnation of Kiwi. Full of p**s and vinegar ...

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Thank you Sandra that's really kind, Delta is a little monkey I've honestly never known a bird like him and he's only been with us just over a week, they had lots of toys in our local pet shop but they seemed to be aimed at larger birds so I'll have a look on Amazon and see if I can find something more suitable, I did want to ask about bathing him if that's ok? How often should I do it and should I spray him or let him bath himself in some water?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you Sandra that's really kind, Delta is a little monkey I've honestly never known a bird like him and he's only been with us just over a week, they had lots of toys in our local pet shop but they seemed to be aimed at larger birds so I'll have a look on Amazon and see if I can find something more suitable, I did want to ask about bathing him if that's ok? How often should I do it and should I spray him or let him bath himself in some water?
If his cage fits something the size of a pie pan (glass) or anything like a cereal bowl with a low rim, put it in the bottom of his cage with water in it and wait. Spraying a bird will sometimes scare them though, in the case of cockatiels, they prefer being sprayed (or misted) even if they will go and stand in the middle of a bowl of water.

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Congratulations on your new baby! Quakers are wonderful. They are definitely full of spunk. It sounds like Delta is doing great!

My Sammy is a bowl dumper too. If his bowls are not secure, he will toss them. The suggested Lixit bowls work great to prevent this. Sam loves the clear colored ones. His favorite is the neon green one (he hijacked it from the budgies). He likes to undo knots as well and take things apart. I take Polly Rope and tie it to his cage with a small foot toy. He enjoys untying the rope and then tossing the toy on the ground for me to pick up. Don't forget while looking for toys to get some weaving material. Straws, dowels, Popsicle sticks, leather strips, all quaker favorites for weaving.

As for bathing, like what Sandra said, I'd let him try to bathe in a glass pie pan or something similar. If you do decide to spray, show him the bottle first and what it does. It may lessen the shock of realizing that water comes out of the thing. Sam is terrified of spray bottles, probably because I as a beginner bird mom didn't do that.

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Delta took a bath in his new locked water dish yesterday, he also though it was fun to throw water at us.
I've ordered a few different toys to try so hopefully they will keep him busy for a few days (hours)
Turns out he's a huge harry potter fan, he loved my little boy reading to him and they've bonded really well, he's settled so well into our house.

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Delta took a bath in his new locked water dish yesterday, he also though it was fun to throw water at us.
I've ordered a few different toys to try so hopefully they will keep him busy for a few days (hours)
Turns out he's a huge harry potter fan, he loved my little boy reading to him and they've bonded really well, he's settled so well into our house.
The photo is adorable and I'm glad that Delta is getting along well with your son. And yes, when a bird bathes, they really bathe. One of these days you'll have the pleasure of having a soaking wet bird cuddle up on your neck and try to rub himself dry.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
That picture of your since reading to Delta is soooooooo precious.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Adorable!! I love that your son is reading to him. :xflove:
And congrats, it sounds like he has found a great home with you guys!

My only Quaker experience is with one who recently came to the rescue where I volunteer and he's a sweet, funny little guy. And stubborn, as others have mentioned is common, haha. His previous owner apparently said he "won't play with ANY toys" and so far he's ignored most I've tried, BUT I gave him this one the other day and have already noticed some little bite marks in it: :)

Amazon.com : Planet Pleasures Parrot Piñata Octopus Toy : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies

Beckyr86

Meeting neighbors
Adorable!! I love that your son is reading to him. :xflove:
And congrats, it sounds like he has found a great home with you guys!

My only Quaker experience is with one who recently came to the rescue where I volunteer and he's a sweet, funny little guy. And stubborn, as others have mentioned is common, haha. His previous owner apparently said he "won't play with ANY toys" and so far he's ignored most I've tried, BUT I gave him this one the other day and have already noticed some little bite marks in it: :)

Amazon.com : Planet Pleasures Parrot Piñata Octopus Toy : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies
I bought him the pineapple version of that toy, he's a little weary of it at the moment but I know he'll be attacking it in no time, I also bought him a treasure hunt toy but haven't introduced him to that one yet.
he's so sweet with my little boy they're really becoming firm friends and his favourite thing to do is nibble on his toes and then run away.

he's started barking now and tries to say hello but turns out now that he is settled in he is extremely loud, my ears are bleeding as I type, is there any way to divert his screeches?

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Something which might keep him busy (and his mouth full) would be small foot toys. The toy that my Quakers will attack and toss around are those cat toy balls with a bell inside (?). If Delta's mouth is full with a toy his screaming capacity will be a tad reduced. I was going to suggest giving him a treat but that would only reinforce the screaming.

The other option would be to very gently put him down when he screams too loudly or move him to a spot away from you.