• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New puppies- Copper and Mira

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I’m watching my mom’s dog this week while she’s on vacation. Today we took them all to the pond.

Copper was 11lbs at his last checkup while Mira was 5.something. My mother’s dog, Tootie, was 7lbs.

They all have another checkup tomorrow, which would have been 3 weeks. Can’t wait to see who weighs what. 52F5EF25-B813-4219-A4CC-F42483C2AAEC.jpeg F2B89C75-41DE-4E1F-8C8D-4B7067C16B7C.jpeg 5641EFB5-B1F8-4EBF-8E1E-3D64F47AAD04.jpeg 204A84FA-C7E6-45E4-8575-AE222FAE7799.jpeg 6BD2BD5A-A0CD-4C18-BC4A-E18E0B01C3F2.jpeg

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I did read that most breeders would have put the puppies down right away, so there is that. Very sad.

I also read that there aren’t any other health problems associated with it amd the hearing/sight issues shouldn’t get worse.

Copper does have vision issues. They both have starburst eyes which is a sign. But they act normal in every way..very happy and energetic, loving and playful.

I did only go for one and came back with two! It’s hard to resist puppies!

Love your’s tag...I must get one of those :)

I should have some squeaky toys made up for the sale..got my squeakers in yesterday and am excited to get started!
With Mira, even though she can’t ear the squeak, I find she still likes the feel of it when she’s biting down. I would never have thought it.
It’s hard to think about someone putting down a puppy for such a silly reason ugh.
But on a happier note, they both came home with you and now couldn’t be cuter playing in a pond. Lol

My girl also likes the feel of a squeaker. It must be satisfying to chew like you say. I’ve had dogs before that weren’t into toys all that much but June never met a toy she didn’t like. :)

This is June on her messy bed after playing in the field near our home. It is almost impossible to keep her clean lol. 0725EEE4-3BED-4395-8D8C-17B49EBA8AF5.jpeg

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I can't believe you've had them 3 weeks already! Wow.

You have the perfect place for them to play.... annnnnnd.... now we know who the brave one is!

Today we took them all to the pond.
OMG I read that as we took them to the pound. All that talk about putting down etc, I thought you took it to heart!!!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh my!!! Love them so much, and all the other stories in this thread! They look like little mischievous angels to me! Keep the stories and pics coming:heart: Total sweethearts, you are doing great by them!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Oh they will do what other dogs do. Dogs actually respond better to body language then voice commands. It will be tough training them when they are young and rambicious. You will need lots of patience. When my old dog went deaf I wanted to get her a collar that vibrated and teach her that meant come. I was always too tight to invest in such an expensive collar for an old dog.

No offense but it kind of sounds like your pups came from a puppy mill.
If they are not from a puppy mill, than yay. If they are, than yay again because they got adopted by a loving and compassionate person

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
They ARE adorable..........what does that mean, "when both parents are Merle"? What does Merle mean?

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Merle is the speckly pattern on them. His is brown and hers is blue/greyish.

Here’s some info from google

The merle gene is what gives Catahoulas their desirable look, although desirable, the merle gene can cause health related issues when bred incorrectly. When breeding two merle dogs together, they can produce double merle puppies which are at high risk for eye and hearing issues.

Last edited:

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats. Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).

Often times Puppy mills are responsible for horrific abuse. They do not care about the quality of the puppies they produce or the quality of the life of the dogs they breed. I hope to educate that in the future when acquiring a companion pet to be mindful of where the puppies or dogs come from and not to support puppy mill. A responsible breeder #1 would not breed two dogs who are likely to produce puppies with health problems and #2 would know whether the puppies they are selling have something as obvious as blindness or deafness. A responsible breeder is handling and socializing and analyzing their pups. True many breeders would put the pups down but many more would sell the pups at a lower price or give the pups away, but they would know.

Wallyloopy please know that I am not judging or criticizing you. I know your puppies are lovely and it is fabulous that you still want them and are willing to put in the extra effort. With the extra effort these pups will also be extra rewarding and you will develop a special bond. But I do hope to educate. This is an important issue. Puppy mills should be outlawed and, what do they say about parrots? Don’t shop, adopt? I love pure bred dogs and I am guilty of purchasing purebreds, from responsible breeders. I also have rescues. As long as millions of dogs are being euthanized every year we, all of us, need to be aware of the problem and not add to the problem or support puppy mills.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
A lot of growing has been going on!

Tootie (my mom’s pup) went from 7lbs to 16

Copper went from 11 to 20

Mira went from 5 to 11!

Everyone looked good at the vet. Tootie was a rambunctious handful. Copper was very well mannered but still a big baby. He warmed up at the end and started sitting for treats for the vet techs.

6C1146F2-2C31-42E7-9740-812A65634A96.jpeg
Now we’re passed out again

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow! They really grew. That’s amazing.

So funny that they are always sleeping. I finally did see Mira’s eyes; I was beginning to think she was a stuffed toy.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats. Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).

Often times Puppy mills are responsible for horrific abuse. They do not care about the quality of the puppies they produce or the quality of the life of the dogs they breed. I hope to educate that in the future when acquiring a companion pet to be mindful of where the puppies or dogs come from and not to support puppy mill. A responsible breeder #1 would not breed two dogs who are likely to produce puppies with health problems and #2 would know whether the puppies they are selling have something as obvious as blindness or deafness. A responsible breeder is handling and socializing and analyzing their pups. True many breeders would put the pups down but many more would sell the pups at a lower price or give the pups away, but they would know.

Wallyloopy please know that I am not judging or criticizing you. I know your puppies are lovely and it is fabulous that you still want them and are willing to put in the extra effort. With the extra effort these pups will also be extra rewarding and you will develop a special bond. But I do hope to educate. This is an important issue. Puppy mills should be outlawed and, what do they say about parrots? Don’t shop, adopt? I love pure bred dogs and I am guilty of purchasing purebreds, from responsible breeders. I also have rescues. As long as millions of dogs are being euthanized every year we, all of us, need to be aware of the problem and not add to the problem or support puppy mills.

Who do you hope to educate? @WallyLoopey? Point of fact, you don't know that they're from a puppy mill. Puppy mills produce LOTS of puppies from parents in horrible conditions in terms of diet, space, care, etc. It sounds like she got her dogs from someone who raises occasional litters of Catahoulas for farm dogs, for which they were bred. Genetic defects can appear in any program; granted, it's less likely to occur when health testing is done. World-class kennels can produce dogs with some dysplasia, for example.

Should she not have adopted the dogs? That's the inference I'm getting, and I don't think I'm alone in that. We save the ones we can; she "saved" these two. Again, I'm not sure they needed saving, but they're hers and here to stay. Post about puppy mills in another thread if you need to educate. But it's not appropriate here.