• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New, proud and fledgling mom of 2 Kakarikis!

MsRobs

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Hi there!

My bf and I are the proud owners of Monday and Tuesday, our 2 yellow Red-crowned Parakeets (also known as Kakarikis). This is my first time as a pet owner. My bf and his family had tons of budgies and cockatiels as he was growing up, so he's got much more experience. We've had them for 8 months now, and I love them. We got them from a pet shop, and my bf found out just as they were getting the birds ready to go home, that the employees were absolute idiots. Long story short, because of serious mishandling, our birds are totally terrified of hands and people...after so many months they're just getting used to us, and starting 'on the path' to trust us.

Anyway, any kak owners around here? :-D IMG_5041.JPG

We love our plump yellow Chocobos and hope that one day they'll know this <3

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
:welcome2:

It is so nice of you to join us on the forum! Your birds are absolute beauties! :p

I'm sorry to hear that it has taken so long for them to start trusting you. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction. If you needs more suggestions or advice, there are some great resources in the stickies at the Training Court. :D

Again, welcome!!!

MsRobs

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Thanks!!!! :-D @ode.to.parrots !!!!! When Monday & Tuesday are having their mid-afternoon bath, they look soooo freakin' cute my heart just melts.

Yeah, my bf had to teach me from the start that a bird is NOT a dog. A bird's trust has to be earned, and slowly. Much, MUCH slower with these poor critters who were so aggressively treated. Anyway, it still is a learning process for me that has taught me real patience. I'm used now to the idea that they might never be cuddly. But if they have a happy life -much better than the pet store - then it's all worth it!

We can move around the room and play music, do our own thing and they don't mind. They eat in front of us, sleep, and sometimes 'chat' with us. They chirp, we whistle, they chirp back. When they're in the room free, sometimes they fly right NEXT to my head, LOL. Of course I pretend like it's no big deal, LOL.

BTW, you cockatiel looks pretty punk with his blond crest and attitude face xD

Happy to be here in this forum!!!!!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
@MsRobs Sounds like you and your bf are absolutely in the right mindset. And it sounds like that patience is slowly starting to pay off! :) I'm sure that your two birds are happy to be out of the pet store and living with you, even though they don't know how to express it.

BTW, you cockatiel looks pretty punk with his blond crest and attitude face xD
Haha. Thanks! Those crests are one of those things I find absolutely endearing about cockatiels. They are such expressive birds, and the crest adds to that expressiveness. :xflove: It's funny because most of the time Indy is an absolute sweetheart - loves to be close to me, loves to get head scratches. But when he is sleepy or grumpy? Watch out, because he is ALL attitude! Haha.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello1:
:welcomesign:
Your birds are beautiful, and I'm glad you are giving them the patience they need! Their comfort level will probably start to increase faster now that they are more used to their new home.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welcome:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting your Kakarikis.