• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New probem with perch need help ASAP

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well Paco and I have been making great progress and now we've had a set back. He has one wooden perch in this cage. The other one is a short stubby one that is near his water bottle and so crusted with crude it will take a jack hammer to get it off. I cleaned it as best as I could and left it.

Any who. The only perch he does sit on is kind of loose. He seemed ok with it till he fell off of it twice yesterday. He didn't get hurt thank goodness.

My problem? I guess from the scrubbing I gave the cage, the wall now wobbles a bit, gees this is hard to explain. Anyway I have secured the perch and can't get Paco to stand on it. He hangs upside down in his cage or sits on the rim of his fruit/veggie cup.

How can I get him to trust the perch again?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Try rearranging things. In a different place he may not associate the perch with falling.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
That's my other problem if I move it, he has no other perch to climb onto to get in and out of the cage. I tried finding another perch yesterday and his cage is 24 inches wide.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Get a perch that has a nut and washer on one end. You can attach them anywhere. I have a ton of them and they work great!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Yeah he has one. I had to take a pair of pliers to it to get it off the cage. The previous owner was a very nice clean lady but his cage was in awful condition. She thought the cage was old and it wouldn't come a part. I've had birds for 30 years. It came apart and it took me two days to clean the crud off the cage. So I'm going to move the shorter perch to the front and the long one to the back.

Thank you for your help.

Not sure what to do though. The wall of the cage does not fit snug with each other, this is why the perch was not firm.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Can you get different types of perches?

I have flat ones and short and long ones.

I have a flexible (soft rope) one in Secret's cage.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Right now he is scared of everything. I've only had him 2 and a half weeks. I just rearranged his current perches and hope this works til I can find a permanent solution.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Lay them close to cage for awhile before adding. Secret is my worry wart bird. I totally understand

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I have had a T stand next to the cage for over a week and he still won't go near it. I rearranged the old perches, gave him a slice of orange on top if his cage. I put his favorite nutri berries in his goodie cup. Hope he goes into cage on his own. I have to go to the store and I can't leave him out unsupervised.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks everyone for your help! Picking up a new perch today. After rearranging the perch and then put it back secure he is ok. I just love this group! Wish we had an instant chat room that would be too cool!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have had a T stand next to the cage for over a week and he still won't go near it. I rearranged the old perches, gave him a slice of orange on top if his cage. I put his favorite nutri berries in his goodie cup. Hope he goes into cage on his own. I have to go to the store and I can't leave him out unsupervised.
So with MC, I roll the playstand next to his cage..... open the door, and let him "choose" to climb to the playstand. I put toys he likes there and there is a solitary food cup I can drop a treat or cool foot toy in.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I just love this group!
Me too.

That's how a "Clueless" soul was able to make it with two wild caught blue front amazons that are male. I last discovered that as one of the hot three (bad bad label there), they're not the normal beginner bird!!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Hi Clueless! I started with my mom's parakeet, neighbor had a pair of love birds I adopted, then he had a breeding pair of cockatiels an I bought two, I met them when they were eggs! I was bitten by the beak freak. I had people give me birds, I had 9 parakeets at one time! Bugsy was my first parrot, another one no one wanted. She was a wild caught White Front Amazon. I was blind sighted when her behavior changed, and found out she had gout and crystals on her kidneys. I met the most wonderful vet in the world. It's only been a month and I still tear up. She was my life for 25 years. The vet assured me that she lived a healthy good life beyond her years. I never got her to eat fresh veggies but she did eat dried fruits, got her shower every Saturday. A week after I had to put her down a lady that works at the gas station told me she needed a new home for her CAG. I had seen her previously in the grocery store buying (gasp) Hartz parrot food.

Paco has stepped into my life and my heart is bursting. We have much to learn. I found this group when Bugsy was ill and the love and support I received here I will forever treasure, complete strangers reaching out to help me.

Paco was not taken very good care of. His feathers were plucked and his cage was in horrific condition. I have him on Lafeber's garden veggie Nutri-berries, introducing Roudybush pellets, I changed his food to a Harvest Blend for his seed, he eats the small white seeds only, he gets fresh veggies and fruit 2x a day. He gets a shower every couple days and his cage is spotless. His feathers look great, I don't see signs of plucking.

We are still getting used to each other. Saturday will be week three.

I am looking forward to the next chapter in my life with him.

I welcome all suggestions and advice.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Does your playstand roll? If so, I strongly recommend this. MC likes being his own boss. I roll the playstand next to his cage..... open the door, and let him "choose" to climb to the playstand. I put toys he likes there and there is a solitary food cup I can drop a treat or cool foot toy in.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
No it does not roll. He is still to scared to sit on it. I have it close to his cage. It's an old one, big ceramic cups on each end with a large silver disc under the perch and cups. My Amazon loved it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
No it does not roll. He is still to scared to sit on it. I have it close to his cage. It's an old one, big ceramic cups on each end with a large silver disc under the perch and cups. My Amazon loved it.
Can you sit it by the door??

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Sit the T stand by the door of his cage?
Yes I was thinking when you're home so he sees it in close proximity. If it's there he can choose to climb on it if he wants. It should be within reach though. MC's is actually at the SIDE of his cage. It touches the cage and he climbs from the cage into it. I roll it over so he knows he can climb on.

I'll look for a thread from an old member that had a nervous grey.

Last edited:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I have it beside the cage with the nutri berries he likes. Right now he is pretty much afraid of everything. I have only had him 3 weeks tomorrow. He is very vocal, and seems relaxed, gets nervous when I'm close. I've been establishing a routine and talk to him constantly. He is afraid of new toys. Will step on my arm, takes food from my hand. I'm sure it will take time, I'm going slow and I am not trying to rush things. I was afraid the whole perch ordeal would set us back but he seems to be ok.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING