• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Pi

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Hello! We've got a new baby white capped pionus joining soon! She's 11 weeks old and still taking 3 hand feedings a day. Her name is Persephone, Penny for short. She's with the breeder until she's weaned. We visit with her daily. I can't wait until she can come home to join the rest of the flock!

Attachments

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats and welcome to The Pionus section! :)

And girls really are the sweetest. ♥
She is really really cute. When I see that pic I only want to kiss her. ♥
How is her setup?, and if their is anything you need help with, just ask us. :)
We visit with her daily.
That is so great. :)

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
@Eloy this is the set up so far. She has one more perch that I bought for her that is with the breeder, so she uses it when we aren't there handling her. I want to get her a few more perches (I think? ) and more toys. She has one that will be coming home with her that we sent up in her cage with the breeder, and a few foot toys there as well. We are planning to get blocks, paper rope, beads, and leather in bulk and make some toys for her and the RB2. (The nanday hates toys unless it's one certain kind, so we'll offer him a new toy but it takes him 6 months to even acknowledge it)

Attachments

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
What things would you add to her cage? I want her to be entertained by everything she has. Most of the things in there have been picked out by her. I give her to option to play with things and the ones she doesn't want to let go are the ones that go in the cage.

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
We tried some cooked foods today, but she wouldn't eat it. They tell me she seems afraid of it when they give it to her. I tried to get her to taste it by tricking her with a green bean, and she still wouldn't go near it. Meanwhile, Dio housed his and would have eaten all of hers, too.

Attachments

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
We are having trouble getting our new fid Miss Birdy to eat veggies too. What we do is eat some of it in front of her and share it. We did and do the same thing with Lucy our yellow nape and it works with her
so we are hoping it works with Miss Birdy. Lucy is pretty easy though, she eats just about anything.
When we are trying this we bring her out on a perch near us and act like its the best food we have ever eaten lol

RawPasta

Real Name
Kelley
We are having trouble getting our new fid Miss Birdy to eat veggies too. What we do is eat some of it in front of her and share it. We did and do the same thing with Lucy our yellow nape and it works with her
so we are hoping it works with Miss Birdy. Lucy is pretty easy though, she eats just about anything.
When we are trying this we bring her out on a perch near us and act like its the best food we have ever eaten lol
I'll have to find something that looks similar to what she was offered because it's like a chop that contains rice, nuts, beans, fruit, veggies, and a tiny bit of seed. This is Dio going to town on it.... birds love it in general. Me? Not so much.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Perhaps she likes it ‘drier’? My Henkie won’t Eat chop if it is too wet. Using mostly chopped up dry veggies such as carrit and broccoli it stays really dry. Perhaps offering bigger pieces or even whole pieces of food Might entice her? Leafy greens, small carrots, berries etc might be something she does like:)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
She sure is pretty - I love those Pi eyes!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They tell me she seems afraid of it when they give it to her.
She is so young so if you just continue to offer her all kinds of food and give them in the same bowl as the food she loves she will learn to eat and to taste everything.
You have this only chance now so use it well. :)

To let her "steal" from your plate is a great way to make them taste things. To eat with them is also a great way to create a strong bond. :)