• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Peep Cage

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What’s interesting to me is if I play that, which you’d think would only interest the littles, everybody stops to listen. They are so attentive to everything around them.

They’ll also squawk when a bird flies by outdoors even though they are inside viewing it thru the window and maybe the pool cage.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
What’s interesting to me is if I play that, which you’d think would only interest the littles, everybody stops to listen. They are so attentive to everything around them.

They’ll also squawk when a bird flies by outdoors even though they are inside viewing it thru the window and maybe the pool cage.
They're very curious little birds to boot! Actually, they are also as jumpy as they are inquisitive lol Do they all start singing afterwards?

Could that be their territorial instincts kicking in? Peeps would sing/belt whenever he sees outside birds. While doing so, he would hop/waddle towards the window, and walk side to side ad he continues to belt at the outside birds lol:laughin:

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
@sheeluhwhet
Omg the singing canaries are fantastic. I will be playing them to all when they are moulting to give them new ideas for their repertoires. My fifes are quieter in comparison though.

I loved watching Peeps flying around..he is very quick and precise with his flying. He sees your room as his aviary..I noticed the branches wedged into your shelves..brilliant idea. I will try that when I can let Willow and Toffee out again. Im glad he is doing better..he looks very well.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Im
@sheeluhwhet
Omg the singing canaries are fantastic. I will be playing them to all when they are moulting to give them new ideas for their repertoires. My fifes are quieter in comparison though.

I loved watching Peeps flying around..he is very quick and precise with his flying. He sees your room as his aviary..I noticed the branches wedged into your shelves..brilliant idea. I will try that when I can let Willow and Toffee out again. Im glad he is doing better..he looks very well.
I'm imagining a chorus of canaries singing to a similar tune--that's goimg to be so awesome!!!!

Yes, I refer to my room as Peeps' room :laughing2:

The branches are anchored by larger books, so the shelf is very easy to clean and rearrange if need be. I tried to place them where there aren't a lot of books to get pooped on in general. Also, I placed sheets of paper over the exposed shelves below the braches, as well as a large towel that covers the floor underneath all the branches. I just remove the paper and was the towel every week. He's a very poopy bird!
Since he tends to stay out for hours, I put a ramekin of his favorite seed treats that I just replace daily.

I hope Willow and Toffeev will live the new braches!

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
@sheeluhwhet

Yes that will get them all going a few canary tunes. As we are into summer now and its hot over here in the UK I leave the back door open and there is lots of singing from the males..the male chicks are also chipping in too. Willow gets singing when he can hear the others.

I did video Willow and Jelly Bean singing but I think my file was too big it wouldnt upload. Will try again..shorter clip I thought. Im not great with tech...give me a canary anyday lol.

Peeps is a very lucky boy to have such a lovely space to fly in..bigger than my aviary too. Its a good idea putting down paper under the perches...will have to do the same. Toffee is sat on her last clutch at the mo..Willow is feeding the chick from her 1st clutch so Im leaving the cage door closed. Willow is a fantastic father..the chick says hi to Toffee while she sits. When Toffee comes off the nest for a nibble the 3 of them move around as one..lovely..Im rambling lol

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@sheeluhwhet

Yes that will get them all going a few canary tunes. As we are into summer now and its hot over here in the UK I leave the back door open and there is lots of singing from the males..the male chicks are also chipping in too. Willow gets singing when he can hear the others.

I did video Willow and Jelly Bean singing but I think my file was too big it wouldnt upload. Will try again..shorter clip I thought. Im not great with tech...give me a canary anyday lol.

Peeps is a very lucky boy to have such a lovely space to fly in..bigger than my aviary too. Its a good idea putting down paper under the perches...will have to do the same. Toffee is sat on her last clutch at the mo..Willow is feeding the chick from her 1st clutch so Im leaving the cage door closed. Willow is a fantastic father..the chick says hi to Toffee while she sits. When Toffee comes off the nest for a nibble the 3 of them move around as one..lovely..Im rambling lol
Gah I'm so sorry for the super late reply, I read this and forgot to reply!!!!!!!!

If it helps, I upload my stuff on YouTube and embed it here. I shoot everything on my phone and upload it through the app. No pressure on posting though!!!

Come to think of it, Peeps does have a huge space in relation to his size. In my previous home, he used to have to kitchen and livingroom to fly in which were probably 3 or 4 times the size of my current room. He would zip by me while I went about with my daily tasks--which probably explains his maneuvering skills. I do hope I can find a spacious place with hardwood floors soon enough though!

I love reading about your birds, you seem to have a really happy flock :) (so no you're not rambling!!!)
How is the aviary set up coming along, if you don't mind me asking?