• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Peep Cage

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
I finally got a flight cage for Peep today! I was so excited for him, but it seemed like he was even more excited (or curious?) than I was. :)
His reaction was so unexpected that I wanted to share it here. Honestly, I thought that I would have to wait for him to adjust, but he tried to get into his new home while I was still setting it up!

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
@sheeluhwhet
Oh I love Peeps..his singing is lovely had to listen to it several times. I must try and video my Willow singing. They are all so different arent they. What kind of canary is Peeps?

His new cage is fantastic. ..he loves it. As long as you have food, water and a variety of perches you are good to go. You have all these..too much can soon fill up a cage which restricts them and their flutterings.

For variety on occasion I buy a pot of basil or flat leaf parsley..I snip off the tops for cooking. I then put the whole pot in for the birds. They love the stalks..leaves and even nibble on the dirt..something you could do when you are out..will keep him amused

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Mom had a few canaries when I was a child, We'd pick out a nice singer. They have different kinds of songs!

Peeps has a good life with you & I just love his peepatude/ peepatune!

Last edited:

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@Clairecanary15 hi!!
Yes! I'd love to see a recording of Willow's singing--I think everyone here would also love to actually :) From what I've been told, Peeps is a Russian canary. A breeder gifted him to my uncle, who later rehomed him with me. He's so tiny compared to other canaries! (I attached a photo that i took last february, he looks so tiny in it! Lol)

You make a good point about cluttering the cage. I still do plan on letting him freefly so he will be fine then. He seems to be enjoying the flat bottom too! I really appreciate your and @Serin 's advice which helped me figure out what to look for and how to set it up, thank you. :)

That's a great idea! I actually have a basil plant already, so we can try it out. Peeps smelling like basil would be plus too!

Mom had a few canaries when I was a child, We'd pick out a nice singer. They have different kinds of songs!

Peeps has a good life with you & I just love his peepatude/ peepatune!
Canaries are so relaxing to watch, yes?

And thank you @camelotshadow :) I try to give him the best care that I can. My house wouldn't be the same without him and his music! He's a tiny bird with a big personality. He certainly knows how get (or try to get) what he wants lol

Attachments

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Good evening @sheeluhwhet

For small birds they really do put a lot of gusto into their singing. I actually thought Peeps looked larger than a fife..a Russian, I will have too look into Russian Canaries further. I was staggered by his singing...wow the notes were long. When one of mine sings, Jelly Bean, it sounds like "here puss, puss, puss" everso comical. I will try to get Willow singing but he is camera shy..only just managed to get a good picture lol

Its real nice talking to you as we clearly both love our canaries and want the best for them. Ive attached some pics of Willow..he is a bird of two different sides bless him 20180609_170207-1.jpg 20180609_170203-1.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow beautiful singing!i I’ll have to play this for my canaries.

Nice cage, I’m glad your baby likes his new digs.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@Clairecanary15 hi! Willow is beautiful, he looks so fluffy and soft. No matter how long it takes, I look forward to the moment you get to capture his song :) I'd love to hear Jelly Bean's music too--your description sounds adorable! It's so fun to hear about your lil flock, they a have such distinct personalities.

I've enjoyed talking to you as well! I can tell you are very caring and nurturing, and you are just so gosh darned knowledgeable. I also think it's cool that you are open to new information as well. I've learned a lot from interacting with you, and I really appreciate the time you've taken to respond to all my questions and ramblings. You're one cool canary parent lol :hug1:

@camelotshadow & @finchly thank you y'all :grouphug2:Peeps is a belter! He really loves his new home :)

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@sheeluhwhet

Arr thankyou

I just read alot. If I have a question I look in a book and to be certain, now I found this great forum, I ask the question.

I tried to video Willow earlier..he stopped and just looked at me. He does seem quieter at the moment. .Im guessing he is working his way to the big moult. My husband whistles to him and they mimic each other..very cute to see..Willow makes a strange noise the husband just cannot do lol very funny. Willow likes music with a good beat too..it might be the only way to catch him full throttle.

Does Peeps like music? Is he still enjoying his new cage? Hows his foot now?

Im glad Ive found you..Im always learning and you have helped me too...its impossible to know everything hey :bighug:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Looks VERY happy!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
That first video. This house is perfect. Now if my interior decorator would hurry up I could move in.

Beautiful singer.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@Atomiklan @zoo mom :laughin:
He likes to fly back and forth to his new house now lol he's as loud as ever too!

@Clairecanary15 Oh yeah! I've been recording his freeflies everyday. I'll post the update here lol:
(Don't mind my sleeping bro in the guest bed ahah)

In short, I think he's doing a lot better.
As far as I know, I haven't seen him favor his foot since he moved into his new home. The rest and removing the lidded-food boxes and bottom grate has done wonders. I'm also noticing his grip strenght coming back; though he hasn't had much need to jump against the walls since he has more space now.
He seems to like his new space. I hardly ever hear his little feet banging against any surfaces now, it's quite a relief to know that. It's also great to see him fly around with ease :)

Willow and your husband sound like they have a good bond with each other :D I can imagine him having adorable expression while looking at you and the camera "yes hooman?" Lol!
Oh dear, I hope he gets through it smoothly--it wont be comfortable of course, but I bet he'll have plenty of care and nourishment from you guys :) I think I read somewhere that the molting period is the best time to introduce new music to them??
Peeps' feathers are looking a bit ruffled as well, I do hope he molts within the right season this year! He had an off-season molt last winter, it was so stressful. On the brightside, I did end up finding this forum due to my frantic researching ( @finchly helped a lot) !

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
By the way, if anyone's curious about what canary videos Peeps listens to, these are his top 3:
  1. --This is his current favorite, and he can match the song :)
  2. --He matches with this one as well!
He would actually fly to my hand (whichever one is holding the phone) and sing to the screen--if he is not busy pecking on it lol! We've gotten to the point now that he flies to me whenever he sees me with a phone with or without music ahaha

Peeps also loves other types of music, so far I know he loves Queen, David Bowie, Bastille, and Walk the Moon. He currently sings along to "Always Know Where You Are" from the Disney film Treasure Planet.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Looks like he definately likes his new home and his space.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Mine all like Queen and 70s music more than the quieter stuff I used to play for them! :roflmao:

Thanks for the list, we will try them out. My fids have heard #3 but not the others.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Mine all like Queen and 70s music more than the quieter stuff I used to play for them! :roflmao:

Thanks for the list, we will try them out. My fids have heard #3 but not the others.
Yeah, he loves loud music lol
No problem, I hope they like them! The first one has live clips which is probably why Peeps loves it most :)