• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New parrotlet

Kampy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy
Wow! That’s amazing! I have noticed he will chatter very softly. But then quite loudly! I feel as if he is trying to get my attention so I begin to sing to him or talk softly. I remember as a few of you have advised not to look directly at him. The loud chirping stops. As if I have satisfied him! He is now sitting with his back to me which I read is a good thing! Oh I do hope so! I have all the patience in the world for this little boy!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like you're both doing really well! Keep talking and singing to him. It sounds like he might be worried that things are too quiet, so by talking or singing you're letting him that you're still there.

Something to be aware of from the beginning is to not reward yelling or screaming by responding to it. Try to respond to his quieter sounds. That will teach him that he doesn't need to yell to get your attention.

Kampy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy
Ok! Good advice!! Thank you!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ohhh you have a gorgeous BOY. There is a blue 'eyebrow' (like Rambo has, click on my avatar) and there should also be the dark blue on the upper part of the tail.

This video shows a female.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My little grandson named this sweetie so I looked for male versions of the name Gracie so as not to disappoint him. All I need to do is chance the spelling! Evidently “Gracey” is the male version.

As I have Gracie blood I feel I must interject and say, why not keep it as Gracie?
My father has it as his middle name.

A wonderful name :)

Kampy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy
Yaaaayy!!! That’s awesome!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The blue eye feather is not always correct with sexing. I do agree that Gracie is a boy! However you want to spell it :)

Yay! Keep on working with him. You will have many long loving and exciting years! Once you have earned Gracie's trust and respect you will have a hard time keeping up with him. Parrotlets are adventurous and curious little birds. He will keep you busy! :starshower:

Kampy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy
I feel like we have really moved forward today! She is playing with her toy and she ate part of a strawberry!! Oops I mean he!! Gonna take me a few days to get that part right!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I feel like we have really moved forward today! She is playing with her toy and she ate part of a strawberry!! Oops I mean he!! Gonna take me a few days to get that part right!
Ohhh. My Rio (caique) was sold to me as a boy. We didn't care, so we didn't do DNA....until we decided to get her a companion....so after a year of saying 'he' we had to relearn it!

@fashionfobie You are right - the hens sometimes have a blue eyebrow but it's not as pronounced as the male's. I have a yellow hen with a lot of blue in the boy places. Breeders told me this and that.... finally they concluded she couldn't be a girl cause there's never been an egg. I had a DNA test done. Girl.

laracroft

Strolling the yard
Hello and welcome! You have a beautiful bird, I love the blues! Just something I was wondering based on your pictures and some things you said... does he have any toys in his cage? Any perches other than the dowel in the picture? Toys are a must to keep your bird occupied, and it's important to foot health to have a variety of types of perches. There should be enough in the cage to keep him occupied and give him options without impeding his ability to fly. Maybe you already know this, but your pictures made me wonder. Anyway, welcome to the forum to you and Gracie/Gracey, however you decide to spell it!

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
welcome and congrats on your new baby! Trust your instincts, have patience and lots of love-.

Kampy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy
Thank you!! I truly welcome good advice as I am new to this! There is a hanging toy that he is just starting to play with and swing on! And today I put a hanging rope perch in and he is already sitting on it!!! I’m sooo excited!!! Thanks to all for walking with me on this beautiful journey! And for the help you are giving me. A question... Are most of you in agreement that my she is really a he? It sure seems that way to me from what you’ve said and what I’ve researched thanks to your comments! :)

laracroft

Strolling the yard
Based on the wing picture you shared, I would say yes, a boy. But I wouldn't claim to be an expert on sexing parrotlets--I've only had one, and he's pretty unambiguously a boy.

ETA: also, where are my manners? You're welcome! Ask any questions you have, we are happy to help and get to experience this with you!

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
For me this was no problem because I visited Harper at the breeder since he was smaller than my hand. So he basically grew up with me. When I took him home he was already used to me and we had already started a great relationship. But I would try approaching her slowly, and patiently. :)

Kampy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy
Hello everyone! I have a question about feeding. Do I fill the food dish to the top and switch it out every few days? Or do I just put in a bit and change it every day? He seems to eat morning and evening for a longer period of time and maybe a snack or two during the day. I find when I fill the dish he will root through for what he likes best. But then the rest of the food is covered with empty seed shells making me feel like the next day or two his food dish just looks messy. I change the water every day. Sometimes more than once as he often poops in his water. Which also makes me wonder if that is happening to his food? and I change the paper on the bottom every day.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If you are talking about seeds, change them daily.
I put a scoop in the dish. I don´t know the measurements.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Put in a bit and change it daily. The reasons for this are threefold:

1) you can better monitor how well he's eating and can tell if he's not eating.
2) you can better monitor if he's eating selectively i.e. picking out his favourite bits and leaving the rest. Giving him a smaller quantity means that there's less opportunity to do this.
3) the empty seed cases make the dish look as if there's more food in it than there is. Birds have starved before because their owner thought there was food in their bowl and didn't refill it, but actually it was just husks and empty seed cases.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think my little one eats 3 teaspoons of seed mix at a time, if that helps. I also provide pellet food and fresh veggies though- today he ate a teaspoon of sprouts first thing.

Kampy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy
Thank you! I will change the food daily. He does pick through and eats what he likes and tosses the rest. Today I tried something new and it worked! I’ve been very calm with him and things seemed better as far as him being less skittish. I knew he was hungry so I emptied his food dish and put a piece of banana and strawberry on my hand and put my hand in the cage. It took about an hour but after much hemming and hawing on his part he ate from my hand! I added seed to my palm and he ate that too! I believe he is beginning to trust me. He ate for quite a while. I just kept my hand very still. I’m so happy. This is a great start I Think!

Last edited: