• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Parrotlet.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Hi. My name is Miss Mary and I am new to Avian Avenue so I Hope I am putting my message in the right place. I have a question. I recently purchased a very healthy eight week old Blue Pacific Male Parrotlets. When I purchased him his diet consisted mainly of pellets and some seeds. I have since introduced him to fresh fruits and vegetables witch he has taken well to and appears to be thieving. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on Parrotlets since I’ve purchased this little guy as I knew nothing about these little parrots. I had originally wanted a Lovebird of which I could write a book about. Since My question is this

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Oh Miss Mary first off, Welcome. You are you in for a treat, with that P’let. Sounds like your lil boy is doing great, you are ahead of the game. Keep offering those veggies and fruits. The fact he is eating pellets is awesome. Pellets are great and a little seed. They also love chia seeds too. Millet is like candy and they will do a lot for it, so you can train him using millet (suggestion) My lil girl, Kiwi would turn around on cue for millet. Spend lots of time with him outside his cage, talk to him, he may talk back. Have you experienced you first P’let hissy fit yet. Most P’lets don’t like paper or crinkle sounds, no joke. They will shake their head and tell you all about it. If you can keep him flighted p, he will be happier, and will come and find you. There is a thread on here for parrotlets, you should read up on them. I think you will enjoy this guy as much as you would have a lovebird, maybe even a little more, (no offense to the Lovie people) but I am bias. Check on you later, have fun.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I have a foster parrotlet right now. They're so cute!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome aboard! So glad you're here! Happy Holidays!

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new addition :)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Oh Miss Mary first off, Welcome. You are you in for a treat, with that P’let. Sounds like your lil boy is doing great, you are ahead of the game. Keep offering those veggies and fruits. The fact he is eating pellets is awesome. Pellets are great and a little seed. They also love chia seeds too. Millet is like candy and they will do a lot for it, so you can train him using millet (suggestion) My lil girl, Kiwi would turn around on cue for millet. Spend lots of time with him outside his cage, talk to him, he may talk back. Have you experienced you first P’let hissy fit yet. Most P’lets don’t like paper or crinkle sounds, no joke. They will shake their head and tell you all about it. If you can keep him flighted p, he will be happier, and will come and find you. There is a thread on here for parrotlets, you should read up on them. I think you will enjoy this guy as much as you would have a lovebird, maybe even a little more, (no offense to the Lovie people) but I am bias. Check on you later, have fun.[/QUOTThank you very much. I am enjoyi
Oh Miss Mary first off, Welcome. You are you in for a treat, with that P’let. Sounds like your lil boy is doing great, you are ahead of the game. Keep offering those veggies and fruits. The fact he is eating pellets is awesome. Pellets are great and a little seed. They also love chia seeds too. Millet is like candy and they will do a lot for it, so you can train him using millet (suggestion) My lil girl, Kiwi would turn around on cue for millet. Spend lots of time with him outside his cage, talk to him, he may talk back. Have you experienced you first P’let hissy fit yet. Most P’lets don’t like paper or crinkle sounds, no joke. They will shake their head and tell you all about it. If you can keep him flighted p, he will be happier, and will come and find you. There is a thread on here for parrotlets, you should read up on them. I think you will enjoy this guy as much as you would have a lovebird, maybe even a little more, (no offense to the Lovie people) but I am bias. Check on you later, have fun.
ng him very much.
I am not sure if I am doing this right. It is so confusing to me so I hope I’ve got this right and you get this message. Thank you very much for your welcoming message. Yes, I am enjoying this little guy a lot. Have some becomcers because he is a mutation and I have recently read that mutations should not be feed pellets because it could cause kidney problems in some mutations. He is so healthy and doing so well that I hate to take him off the pellets. Introducing him to fruits since he is doing so well with the veggies. He is such a little sweetie. Keep in touch.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome @Miss Mary, your little guy sounds adorable :)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Thank you. I really am enjoying him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you. I really am enjoying him.
So I have to ask if you are gonna share him with us........we love pictures here :) The sooner that you post them the less you are likely to be hassled about photos, believe me I know this from experience :lol:

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
LOL! I only have one picture that I took of him so far. I am not sure how to post it. Don’t know how to get into my pictures.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Thank you all for welcoming me and Kai to the forum. I did not know how to post or reply to your comments when I first joined the forum so it was hit and miss. Now that I know what I am doing I apologize to any comments I did not reply back to. Update...Kai is now 6 months old. I am happy to say that his is just as happy and thriving as when I first brought him home. He is sweet and very loving and has a wonderful disposition. We have bonded well and spend time enjoying each other. I work with him everyday with words and while we spend a lot of time conversing with each other he doesn’t repeat anything back yet but has an awful lot to say. Hope all is going well with all of you and your little friends.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome welcome! You have been asking for help every step of the way so far. It seems to me that Kai is in warm and caring hands.

Pellets are not always the best for parrotlets. So please read up so you can make an informed choice about it. I do not use pellet with mine. They get mostly veggies, cooked grains, sprouts :legumes, grains, seeds.

These resources will act as introduction, but research research!
Diet - Little Loves Parrotlets
Mutation Parrotlets & Pellets... - Johnny's Parrot TIPS | Facebook

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Welcome! Love those little guys. Truly a perfect small bird with big bird likeness.

My Male normal green lived to be 3 mos shy of 16. They can have long lives with proper diets ;)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Welcome welcome! You have been asking for help every step of the way so far. It seems to me that Kai is in warm and caring hands.

Pellets are not always the best for parrotlets. So please read up so you can make an informed choice about it. I do not use pellet with mine. They get mostly veggies, cooked grains, sprouts :legumes, grains, seeds.

These resources will act as introduction, but research research!
Diet - Little Loves Parrotlets
Mutation Parrotlets & Pellets... - Johnny's Parrot TIPS | Facebook
Thank you so much for the welcome and the resources. I will definitely check them out.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Welcome! Love those little guys. Truly a perfect small bird with big bird likeness.

My Male normal green lived to be 3 mos shy of 16. They can have long lives with proper diets ;)
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, little birds with big personalities. I am having so much fun with Kai and really enjoying him. Wow, 16 years. Sound like he was well taken care of. Sorry to hear that your little guy is no longer with you. I’m sure he is missed. If you don’t mind my asking what did his diet consist of?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, little birds with big personalities. I am having so much fun with Kai and really enjoying him. Wow, 16 years. Sound like he was well taken care of. Sorry to hear that your little guy is no longer with you. I’m sure he is missed. If you don’t mind my asking what did his diet consist of?
Hi there, yes I miss my little guy alot. His diet consisted of a pelleted diet along with lots of cooked and fresh foods. The only pellet he was fed was Harrison's High potency super fine, then converted to Adult lifetime superfine. He ate them for years. I also fed Egg food- also mixed in cooked foods such as mashes that were home made. I had used cous cous along with finely chopped veggies, zucchini, broccoli florets but use Bird Street Bistro that was hard to get, but is back again. I used organic hulled millet too. He NEVER ate sunflower seeds. The only seed mix he would eat would be a good safflower seed mix. Occasional crushed nutriberries and loved strawberries. I used alot of the fine powders from the larger parrot mixes from my big birds. The settlement from many of the Goldenfeast mixes. He also got the Goldenfeast Australian blend but many moist cooked foods were his main liking. He would also go over bird breads I would bake, as long as it was crumbled. I fed alot of treat type foods on the cage bottom, on a clean paper towel, foraging type experience for food.

If you get a chance, look for Bird Street Bistro, but also Higgins has some foods that you can also serve as a mash. Worldly Cuisines.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Hi there, yes I miss my little guy alot. His diet consisted of a pelleted diet along with lots of cooked and fresh foods. The only pellet he was fed was Harrison's High potency super fine, then converted to Adult lifetime superfine. He ate them for years. I also fed Egg food- also mixed in cooked foods such as mashes that were home made. I had used cous cous along with finely chopped veggies, zucchini, broccoli florets but use Bird Street Bistro that was hard to get, but is back again. I used organic hulled millet too. He NEVER ate sunflower seeds. The only seed mix he would eat would be a good safflower seed mix. Occasional crushed nutriberries and loved strawberries. I used alot of the fine powders from the larger parrot mixes from my big birds. The settlement from many of the Goldenfeast mixes. He also got the Goldenfeast Australian blend but many moist cooked foods were his main liking. He would also go over bird breads I would bake, as long as it was crumbled. I fed alot of treat type foods on the cage bottom, on a clean paper towel, foraging type experience for food.

If you get a chance, look for Bird Street Bistro, but also Higgins has some foods that you can also serve as a mash. Worldly Cuisines.
Thank you so much for this information. I will be sure to use as much of it as I can. Are you planning g on getting another Parrotlet?