• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

?new parrotlet

deshud

Walking the driveway
I am looking at buy 2 baby linnies from ontario, shipping them to Edmonton. The breeder has a hand fed lutino parrotlet for sale for a reasonable price, she can ship him with the linnies for no added cost. I know I shouldn't get so many new birds all at once, but when something uncommon comes available at a reasonable price, you just have to take it. It's difficult to find parrotlets in alberta, especially in different colors. I already have cages and supplies, I just have to have room for quarantine, again... I haven't seen any lutino parrotlets for rehoming in alberta. She's charging 150.00 for him, which, I don't think is a bad price, as that's how much a normal green parrotlet is going for in alberta.
I think I am talking myself into buying the baby.
:heart:, To justify it, 150.00 is 2 tanks of gas, I can take transit for a month, :hehe:

My first parrot was suppose to be a parrotlet, but it didn't turn out, so I bought a linnie instead. But I always wanted a parrotlet. Since I can buy a green parrotlet locally, I need to take these deals as they come. I just have to be careful I don't become a bird hoarder:huh: It will be interesting to see the difference between linnies and parrotlets, I heard parrotlets are much more aggressive, but my linne sure had an attitude and was very hormonal! Of all my parrots, she had the biggest attitude.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Who is the breeder? The parrotlet is a reasonable price, but there are a few bad breeders in Ontario you should stay away from (especially from the Brampton area), regardless of the price. On whether you should buy them, I think the question is, can you afford the vet care all at once? You mentioned you were going to take your four current birds to the vet, and it`s about $330 per bird where I live, with the blood test and fecal - this is not including any disease-testing you might want to do due to unsuccessful quarantine. Sure, the vet will give you a group discount, but I can`t imagine him charging less than $250-$280 per bird. So with the seven, you`re at almost $2000 in vet expenses all at once. Once again, this is NOT including disease-testing, which will run you another $125 per bird, minus a small group discount. I generally don`t encourage people to get more than 5 birds, especially if they`re still learning the ropes with bird care. Birds are quite addictive, so it`s very easy to slip into the hoarder territory. There`s a member who recently got way over her head and got too many birds for her to care for. This is a very good thread to read: http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-...e-bird-syndrome-also-known-just-one-more.html

I`m not trying to put a damper on your excitement. Just giving you the facts. I know all too well the urge to get another bird - there was another hawkhead parrot advertised for sale at an extremely good price recently and I really wanted her as a friend for Target, but it just isn`t in the cards. I don`t think I`ll ever be able to handle more than one "larger" bird.:hug8:

deshud

Walking the driveway
Who is the breeder? The parrotlet is a reasonable price, but there are a few bad breeders in Ontario you should stay away from (especially from the Brampton area), regardless of the price. On whether you should buy them, I think the question is, can you afford the vet care all at once? You mentioned you were going to take your four current birds to the vet, and it`s about $330 per bird where I live, with the blood test and fecal - this is not including any disease-testing you might want to do due to unsuccessful quarantine. Sure, the vet will give you a group discount, but I can`t imagine him charging less than $250-$280 per bird. So with the seven, you`re at almost $2000 in vet expenses all at once. Once again, this is NOT including disease-testing, which will run you another $125 per bird, minus a small group discount. I generally don`t encourage people to get more than 5 birds, especially if they`re still learning the ropes with bird care. Birds are quite addictive, so it`s very easy to slip into the hoarder territory. There`s a member who recently got way over her head and got too many birds for her to care for. This is a very good thread to read: http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-...e-bird-syndrome-also-known-just-one-more.html

I`m not trying to put a damper on your excitement. Just giving you the facts. I know all too well the urge to get another bird - there was another hawkhead parrot advertised for sale at an extremely good price recently and I really wanted her as a friend for Target, but it just isn`t in the cards. I don`t think I`ll ever be able to handle more than one "larger" bird.:hug8:
I have been up all night pondering this. I am budgeting, including the vet costs, food, toys, ect. I WILL quarantine these birds for sure:( I already took one of my kaks to the vet for an overgrown beak, and she was very reasonable, didn't over charge or overidagnose me. Parrotlets, and especially linnies are VERY difficult and expensive here. I haven't even seen a lutino parrotlet for sale here, but blue parrotlets are going for 250.00. I did ask the breeder for a couple of extra weeks so I can get everyone out of quarantine, in their permenent cages/rooms. They're only 7 weeks old now, she said they will be ready in a couple of weeks. I should have everyone out of quarantine at the end of september, and the weather should still be okay to ship.

I really want to get into bigger parrots, but I know it's not the time to do it. I had a linnie ( that recently passed away a couple of days ago:crycry:. I really miss her, I think that's why I want another bird. I was thinking about buying more birds before she passed away, it's not a rebound buy, well, maybe a little. I have a co-workers 15 year old daughter that is going to help me with the parrots and care for them while I am working and away to my parents. So I have thought about it for awhile. I believe things happen for a reason. I may have to forfit a couple of hockey games ( the oilers always lose when I attend the games anyways:hehe:. I am going to get the cobalt linnie, and I am really leaning towards the lutino parrotlet, I just love having a variety of parrots, each has their own personality. Now, I have to decide on the creamino linnie. I can get 3 shipped for the same price. The 2 linnies are clutch mates, so I will keep them in the same cage, I have a huge flight cage when they get older. Plus all my birds get hours out of their cage.

The next thing to consider, do I have enough time to do spend with them, and to train them. It is a big responsibility, and that's why I am asking for peoples thoughts and opinions, and their recent experiences.:hug8:

In summary- I will have parrotlets, linnies, kaks, and one brown head. I have enough money in the budget for vet care, toys, and food. I have 3 brand new cages not even opened up yet, including around 5-8 other breeding cages I used when I had finches. I have enough rooms for quarantine:cool:. I have help in the way of a 15 year old teenager to clean and bird sit when I am away. . I have to remodel my kak only bird room, mostly change the flooring, as it has carpet, and it needs to be gone, TODAY!! So, I think I have thought about it, long enough for tonight anyways, I do need to sleep, as I do work at noon.

Have I missed anything? The more I look at parrotlets, the more I want this little guy.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I`m sorry about your linnie :hug8:If you don`t mind me asking, why did she pass? If it`s disease related, that`s an important thing to consider.

Time is a very important thing to consider, yes. And as for vet care, this is what my vet charges:

$90 for a normal visit
$200 for blood test
$125 for DNA disease testing
+ taxes

When I take two at once, he discounts the $90 to $75 for the second bird. I don`t know about the testing, since I`ve never tested more than one bird at once. Your vet may be charge differently on the $90 part, but I think the blood test and disease testing is standard pricing. Do correct me if I`m wrong, though. You may be able to submit samples for DNA disease testing directly to the lab itself (Healthgene or Viaguard) so you can save a bit of money there, but I think you have to do blood testing through the vet, and blood testing is absolutely necessary, especially for new birds. You cannot tell what`s really going on with just a physical examination. I blood-test my birds once a year, so this is an annual expense, too.

Parrotlets are VERY active birds, so despite their size, they too need a flight cage. They`re also known to have quite a bit more attitude than a linnie, so there may be problems there. As for the linnies, I actually like creaminos better than cobalts :)

Hope this helps :hug8:

deshud

Walking the driveway
Thank you, yes the information does help. My linnie passed away by an accident. It's difficult to talk about her. She was my first, and my baby. My 3 brand new cages are 2 double flight A and E cage, and one very large aviary, it's so large, once I get it set up with the roof on, it doesn't fit through the door. So. I'll keep the babies in the breeding cages until they're bigger and have better balance, then I'll put them in their large flight cages. They all have out of cage time as well. I am on partial disability at this time, so they spend a lot of time with me. I have a choice of a cobalt, lutino, creamino linnie. I have only seen a green linnie, Pebbles. I think one of them will be the cobalt, my nephew has been talking about a parrot, so I have an option of giving one of my linnies to my nephew, and he likes blue. The lutino linnie is a male, and is 100.00 more expensive, so that's kind of out of my budget at this time. I know parrotlets are known to have bigger attitudes then linnies, but Pebbles was so hormonal and had a huge attitude. I gained a lot of experience with her. Have you seen a lutino parrotlet? Are they common in ontario?

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've seen a few. I think perhaps mutation parrotlets are a bit more available in Ontario than Alberta? There are also pastel blues, dilute blues (American whites), fallows, and pastel yellows. My favourite are the pastel blues and pastel yellows. I don't think there are any turquoise ones in Canada yet, unfortunately. I do want to warn you though, that mutations are much more susceptible to illnesses than greens.

I would imagine perhaps that you should expect worse than your linnie's attitude, from the parrotlet. They are notoriously fiesty. Who is the breeder? It's very important to find someone who will raise the bird properly to minimize chances of behavioural problems, not just one with the cheapest price. I don't like discussing price when it comes to birds because they're not objects. I see you said you're on partial disability "at this time" -- what will happen when that changes? Once again, not trying to discourage you, just laying all the facts out there. But please ONLY get the cobalt linne if you truly want the bird, not because you "have the option of giving him/her to your nephew." Birds, and pets in general, are the worst things to give as gifts. They are living beings, and require 150% dedication from the owner. I personally don't think it's a good idea for a young person to take on bird ownership. A bird is like a 2-year-old child, who will permanently remain that way. I wouldn't advise young people to have children either until they are responsible enough for them.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'll second everything Josie said. Self indulgence is a dangerous thing and quite often leads to getting in over your head and regret. And the birds are the one that pay the price should that happen. Just sayin' my dear from "many" years of experience.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Parrotlets are very smart little birds and get to know you really well over time. The can be nippy mostly if you are sticking your hand into their home, or cage. Once out they generally like to be around People and are pretty outgoing and active. Due to their size, great care should be given to accidents such as windows or other pets. Prices can vary here I have seen them for close to $300 for a color. Back when I got mine in 1993 the blues were going for upwards to $600. They take great care in diet especially many fall victim to fatty liver disease due to all seed diets and sunflower seeds being one of the worst you can give to them.

Stick to fresh and cooked foods and offer pellets and some seed mixes free of sunflower seeds. You can have a long life buddy if you care for the littles as you would a large parrot. :)

deshud

Walking the driveway
Parrotlets are very smart little birds and get to know you really well over time. The can be nippy mostly if you are sticking your hand into their home, or cage. Once out they generally like to be around People and are pretty outgoing and active. Due to their size, great care should be given to accidents such as windows or other pets. Prices can vary here I have seen them for close to $300 for a color. Back when I got mine in 1993 the blues were going for upwards to $600. They take great care in diet especially many fall victim to fatty liver disease due to all seed diets and sunflower seeds being one of the worst you can give to them.

Stick to fresh and cooked foods and offer pellets and some seed mixes free of sunflower seeds. You can have a long life buddy if you care for the littles as you would a large parrot. :)
Thank you for the information, this is helpful. This is the advice I am looking for. I wasn't asking permission if I should by the parrotlet, and I think I must have put some wrong information in my previous posts. It was late last night, so I might have rambled on too much:coffeescreen:. I am not buying the other 2 birds, just because of convenience. I do have my reasons. and If I want to buy a gift for my nephew, and it happens to be a parrot that he really wants, and is responsible enough for it ( with my brother's permission of course), I will.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the money. I have spent thousands of dollars on all of my animals. Over the last 5 years I spent close to 15 thousand dollars on an adopted older dog that I was told should have been put to sleep. She's still with me, and is a wonderful pet. The only reason why I mentioned money with the birds, is that if it's 100.00 less to buy a bird in toronto then here, then that's 100.00 more I have to spend on remodelling my bird room, or getting more toys. It's more money to spend on my birds, that's all I meant. I have noticed some breeders will sell their birds for a little less money so the new owners can spend the little extra cash they have saved on the new bird as it all adds up. That to me, is a responsible breeder. It shouldn't be all about the money. It's about the birds, and getting them good homes.

I was asked twice for the breeders name, I will not answer that, as it has no bearing to this thread. I was just asking about parrotlets in general. Parotlets and linnies are very difficult to find in Alberta, and sometimes it's necessary to buy them from another province and have them shipped. I am thankful there are good breeders out there that are willing to do this. Please don't respond that birds should not be shipped, as it is stressful for the birds. I don't want to go there.
This breeder has been wonderful to me, working with me and answering all my questions. This is all I am going to say about buying in ontario with this breeder.

I am not being over indulgent. I have everything thought out. All my birds get great care, and a lot of time out of their cages. They are very spoiled, and want for nothing. So, please don't tell me which bird to get, (maybe I really want the creamino, or maybe the parottlet) that kind of advice is negative advice. Now, advice on parotletts being more aggressive then linnies and what diet to feed them is helpful and appreciative.

Sorry if I got a little grouchy, long day today. But please don't judge people you don't know. I come on this forum to ask for opinions and advice because I do care about my birds. If I didn't care, I would just buy them, and if it was all about money, I could buy them from Toronto, ship them to Alberta and resell them for profit.:slapfight:. No responses please, I was just joking, of course I wouldn't do that, now that would be irresponsible. Giving one to my nephew isn't irresponsible. I was just trying to get my point accross.:tease:

For those people who do care, after a long night of no sleep, and a lot of thinking and researching, I am getting the creamino and cobalt linnie, and the lutino parrotlet:dance5: I am so excited on getting babies again. It's going to be month before I get them, it's going to be a long wait, but well worth it. I know what I am getting with the linnies, but I will be asking a lot of questions about the parrotlets.:). I can't wait. The good thing about getting all three together, they are in the same room, so they can be quarantined in the same room. So that's one positive. I know getting 3 birds all at once can be overwhelming, but I do have experience with birds, I did have over 15 at one time when I was bird watching for awhile. I know what I am getting into, I have things planned out, and I do have someone to come over to help.
Thanks everyone for your positive advice and support, I appreciate it. I wouldn't mind more information on parrotlets, lets keep breeders and money out of this thread please, thanks.:hug8:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you've got your mind so set, you shouldn't ask for opinions, and be offended when you receive them. Good day.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
You're the one that brought the money into this thread:huh: simply buying a bird because it's a good price isn't really a good idea. They're not inanimate objects. Your first post is really confusing because it seemed you were asking for opinions but now you're upset because you didn't get the answer you wanted. People on AA have seen so many people get in over their heads that we don't tend to sugar coat things and will give you an honest opinion.

What I will say is that you should always get the bird that you want and not "settle" because things like this can happen. Why still get the linnies if you're able to get the species you initially wanted? Also, being clutchmates does not guarantee that they will get along once they mature. If they are different sexes they will breed. Just throwing that out there as well.

I really want to get into bigger parrots, but I know it's not the time to do it.
Why continue to add smaller birds? Their life spans are 15-20 years, if you add larger birds down the road what will happen to these little guys? Your time would be further divided.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I think doing the research on them first is foremost. I know back when I got mine not much information was out there on them. They were not popular as they are today. I can tell you that many, many of them succumb to early death due to accidents, by being in wrong homes or they are given diets that are not good for them. They are a species of their own so to say. I also do not care for the mutations and crosses. I find that People are doing it for the colors only, not the betterment of the species. I love the colors but I also just love the normal greens, I feel that genetically they are not mutated species and are healthier.

Money is part of it cage size the most important and then diet.