• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New parrot owner

Plasmadora

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there!

A week ago one of my childhood dreams came true - I got my first very own parrot!
I got a 9 month old male horned parakeet from a breeder, and as you can guess I feel very lucky.

It’s probably one of the best parrot species I’ve encountered; they’re curious, kind (never bite), quiet (far more quiet than my cat) and even though mine was untame and very scared of me when I got him he started talking with me on day two and voluntarily stepped up on my hand on day four (for food, but I still think it’s amazing since he only doubted me for a second and it was the first time I tried). They are very eye-catching birds too with their ruby red eyes and black beak. They look like parrots but not like a typical parrot, my first thought was that they’re both unusual and absolutely gorgeous :heart:

I’m mostly reading the threads on this forum since I have a lot to learn, but I thought I would say hi anyway because I might post something a little now and then later on.

Also if anyone have experience on the same specie I’d be very happy to talk about them! There is almost no info on them as pets so right now I’m learning everything by self, by trying out different things and using good sense. Works good so far, but it would be very helpful hearing inputs from others. Not expecting many have this specie, but I’m saying it just in case

Many greetings from Isidora and Leptir the horned parakeet.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Leptir! :)

We'd love to see pics of him when you get the chance...:D

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Happy to have you. I must admit to have never seen the species or heard of this species of parakeet you have. I would love to hear more about your bird and see some photos/videos. Thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! That is a very rare species.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Oh my goodness, never heard of a “horned parakeet” but just looked it up on the internet, they are beautiful.... Congratulations!! So glad you were able to find one. Be happy to hear how he does!

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Welcome!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA & congrats. Post some photos when you get a chance.

Plasmadora

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks all of you, it’s heartwarming being welcomed by so many! (well, by anyone at all :D)
I’ll definitely share updates with you how it goes with this little fellow. Today he’s been listening to a lot of music. He always falls asleep with his head on his back or grind his beak contently when I play happy classical pieces, it’s sweet that he appreciates it so much :) He doesn't react like that at all on gloomy pieces, so I don't play them.

As for pictures, I have very few that are decent because he don't know how to behave in front of a camera. He ruin his poses as soon as I pick it up, haha unfortunately, but this one turned out all right:
upload_2018-3-17_22-29-54.png
Because he isn’t full grown his long head feathers hasn’t grown out yet (but one is starting to point out) . Their beaks are pale as young so you can see it’s starting to gradually become black. The eye color will also become more red instead of brown. It’s probably just a couple of months left before he looks like his parents.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Such a pretty bird!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor