1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New parrot in college dorm

Discussion in 'Bird Boulevard' started by PA parrot, 2/16/17.

1. PA parrot

PA parrot Moving in

Tim M
    Hey everyone so I'm new to this forum but I have a pretty unique story that I'd like to share with everyone. So I am a college student and at the end of last semester (late December2016) I was searching Craigslist to buy a small 10 gallon aquarium and I found one for 25 dollars that included a pump and all the supplies. When I went to the lady's house to pick it up I noticed some birdcages through her front door and asked if I could come in and see the birds. She had a young parrotlet and a canary wing. The parrotlet was very uncooperative and when I held him I noticed he had many pin feathers. While talking to her I spent about a half hour picking at them and truly alleviated a lot of his discomfort and we bonded instantly. She was moving and only wanted one bird so she gave me him and the cage and all his supplies. At the end of January I had to return to school and decided to bring the bird with me. I currently
    have a parrotlet with me in my college dorm against the knowledge of all the building administrators. I really love him and have been here over a month and am hoping I can make it through this semester without getting caught because my small parrot would get sent home to live with my parents and have a lot less interaction. There have been minor challenges but we are doing well. I'd love to answer any questions you may have!

Gddmsam and Robin8888 like this.
  2. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Dianne
    What is the regulation there? If fish are allowed perhaps birds would be. Things like that seem to be found out somehow. I am happy you love the little bird.

Crazy4parrots likes this.
  3. PA parrot

PA parrot Moving in

Tim M
    The rule is the pet has to survive under water for 5 minutes and it can't be more then 2 gallons and no filters allowed. Basically only beta fish. I got my parrotlet out of the blue and will have a house off campus in the fall and just have to make it until May

4. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Shhhhhh, don't tell.

5. Komandr

Komandr Strolling the yard

Cristin
    Totally something I would do, too...I'm glad that you were able to give him a home regardless of what happens.

6. Princessbella

Princessbella Rollerblading along the road

Theresa
    I had a bird in a no pet place and as long as your bird is pretty quiet and none of the other students tell, I think you should be ok. Thanks for taking him. Even if you have to keep him at your parents, it will only be for a short time.

7. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    He sounds very sweet, I hope you make it until May!:naughty:

Crazy4parrots likes this.
  8. Robin8888

Robin8888 Sprinting down the street

Robin
    Why can't you have a bird at the dorm?? Tell them he is the mascot :cheer:
    Hope you make it to May.
    :welcomeavenue:

9. HawkEagle

HawkEagle Sprinting down the street

Paulina
    Good luck, hope everything goes well! Parrotlets are amazing little birds

10. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

Michelle
    Welcome to the forum! Your bird is adorable!

11. Pied

Pied Strolling the yard

If worse comes to worse and you do have to keep him at your parents at least it's only until end of semester! Good luck, he's a cutie.

Robin8888 likes this.
  12. PA parrot

PA parrot Moving in

Tim M
    Wow I really appreciate all the support! He's the first in his family to attend a university and it would be such a shame if addministration took that away from him! He's pretty quiet but can get really loud sometimes. I find it's really hard to do training because he always gets super excited and makes air of noise. Also an issue is the room can get cold at times. To combat that I snuggle him before bed for at least a half hour and then again in the morning. I always set my alarm at least 15 minutes early so I can warm him up.

13. PA parrot

PA parrot Moving in

Tim M
  14. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    He's so cute! How cold does it get?

15. WallyLoopey

WallyLoopey Rollerblading along the road Vendor

Kate
    You could order a little thermo perch. The heat panels are nice but a little expensive.

Laurul Feather Cat and rockybird like this.
  16. PA parrot

PA parrot Moving in

Tim M
    I think the room gets down to about mid 60s absolute coldest. I've looked into thermo perch but I've heard of birdies burning their feet and decided not to risk it. I keep his cage covered and my house is on the cooler side at home too and think he's had some time to acclimize to the temperature. Since he's made it this far well enough I'm not going to change anything unless anyone has a phenomenal suggestion

Laurul Feather Cat likes this.
  17. PA parrot

PA parrot Moving in

Tim M
    I've been getting fruit and veggies from the salad bar at my dinning hall and giving them to my parrotlet. He loves broccoli the most and loves to rip off chunks of apple and fling it across my room. I've brought Lenny (my parrotlet) to the dinning hall and the cash register people love him and let me take free produce for him. Although it is a very small amount. image.jpg

18. rockybird

rockybird Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

He is very cute. If you have your own room, you might try to pass it off as a therapy bird if you get caught. You could say that you have panic attacks when alone, and he calms you and reassures you that you are not alone.

I might move the cage off the floor onto a night stand. Also, when you get your own place next year, maybe look at getting him a bigger cage.

I think most birds are okay in cooler temps. It's the hot temapratures that they dont do well with.

Robin8888 and Laurul Feather Cat like this.
  19. Dartman

Dartman Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Terry
    I think as long as they have time to acclimatize to it. The problem is when they get a sudden change hot or cold they aren't used to. Nerd lived with me for 31 years and my house is 66 during the day and 60 at night during the winter. He was never covered and maybe his last 10 years I had a ceramic heat bulb thing he could get close to if he wanted. I actually caught him displaying and growling by the garage door with 30 degree air blowing under the jam and ruffling his thigh feathers. His feet were ice cold and it never phased him, he was used to cold temps. He was a Maxi Pionus. I also raised a baby house finch we rescued from a crow. She ate like a horse and bonded to us so she became part of the flock. She grew up happy and healthy but one night my window was open. It got really cold that night, she got a chill and got a respiratory issue that took her out about a month later because she was used to always being warm and cozy inside. It was too big a change for her and I've seen wild finches bathing in freshly broken ice water in our bird bath, but they had time to adjust to the outdoor winter cold.
    She'll be fine and you can get a small heat panel to keep close to where she sleeps if you're worried.

20. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    I wouldn't even recommend keeping a betta in a 2 gallon tank without a filter. :( Actually, wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 10 gallon tank unless a person was experienced enough to keep a smaller tank. (bigger tanks are easier to take care of!) And shrimp can be a fun little addition to keep! (preferably shrimp only tank)

I would not recommend snuggling a bird in a bed, either... a lot of accidents have occurred because of that. :(

Agree though, that as long as a bird is healthy, they can handle cooler temps. My birds get temps down into the 50's at night.

rockybird likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)