• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new pack member coming

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
I have looked at dozens of breeds, traveled the nearby states, talked to even more breeders, ended up with a runt husky in the process, and over a couple years thought I'd found what I wanted in some "inuit dogs" in Indiana. I've been waiting on a puppy from this breeder since Feb but a part of me remained uncertain of the unorthodox methods and some lack of answers. It just happened last week that I woke up, checked the internet, and my heart said no. It just said no. My husband wanted to murder me for the sudden decision change ( that was partly because he wasn't fully awake when I dropped it on him) but I went searching and emailing some more. Pure breeds of what I would accept were up around $500-600 more than we had planned to pay or had waiting lists. Then I came across some northern breed crosses for a bit less than our original plan. I had planned a male and everything around a male and thought about a male, even named a male, but logic got stomped into the dirt this week. My heart says this female and after an agonizing 24hrs where I debated just using the masculine name I liked so much I reached another decision. Aiko will be picked up this weekend in Minneapolis. Aiko as a name is normally translated as something like beloved child (ai-love, ko-child) but my thought was more toward the verb usage which can mean partner, to match, to fit, to come together.... A lot of things in Japanese are pronounced the same but different characters used to write them mean different things so you can say the same word but not intend the same thing.

I may be excited but at the same time my heart breaks because my akita is showing a degenerative back problem her mother has and declined to barely able to walk within 2 years. I get a new puppy but it's to train in place of what has been my other half years before my husband existed. The breeder and I have been mourning the decline of our older akitas and discussing how to help prevent the spinal damage to Zami as long as possible. She is in better shape and more active than her mother was when it started. So it is a bittersweet moment and my facebook feeling status over my puppy says "convoluted" and anyone who complains I'm getting another dog is under threat of unfriending and me not going to their events to see them.

So pictures...

I have a backup if this falls through but it would be really hard on me. I might even give up on my backup plan and get on the 2year wait list for the Northern Inuit Dogs which were the breed used as dire wolves in game of thrones. My dogs are my family and my lifestyle. I can't have people disappointing me repeatedly over this decision.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
The little puppy is adorable! Whatever your heart says to do, I'd go with. :)

I'm so sorry about your pup having back problems, it's the hardest thing to see our beloved pets suffer. :(

My late doxin slipped a disk in her back and became half-paralyzed when she was 14, which was one of the main reasons we decided it was time to say goodbye. All I can say is to treasure every moment with her, and know when the time comes that no matter how hard the decision is, it's the single kindest thing we can do for them. :hug8:

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
Puppy proofing, puppy proofing... I planned to have more warning. Washing all dog and old blankets too in case they are needed. Supposed to be the end of a huge snowstorm when we get there. 3" minimum, 8" possible in the area we are going, but 15" possible in some places.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Awwe... how sweet is that! :heart::heart:

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Beautiful puppy.
We have three dogs.
Nothing can take the place of a good dog.

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
After crying most of last night and collar buying and vet today Aiko is tired.

No external parasites, you can see she's a little thin now that the pot belly has gone down some, and they are running a fecal. She had diarrhea all night but it's improving today. We started her on ground raw and are mixing panacur powder in it. She's much more subdued when out. I've got her to start following me and she sat for the first time while waiting for the vet and got liver treats. Lots of new things in 24hrs. Bite inhibition is our biggest problem right now. I had to check I wasn't bleeding last night after she mouthed my fingers from her kennel and she bit my face twice this morning when released but we are already improving it.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm so sorry, I hope you can manage her health and have more happy years with Zami (did I get her name right?.)
Breathing and spine problems combined is what eventually ended my 14 year old Shadow's life but he did have 4 happy years after his spinal stroke left him partially paralyzed.
I totally understand why you want to start raising another pup now too, I made the decision to let my older dog enjoy his last months without a puppy around and don't regret my decision at all... but wow did the house ever feel empty when he passed. Everything hurt but the emptiness at home outside of Peanut's space was just salt in the wound.

Your little wolfy pup looks precious, hopefully any healthy problems clear up with some TLC.
Puppies are lots of fun! ... if you like being bitten all the time and cleaning up potty messes in the house. :D
Fortunately for them they are also very cute.