• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner

Blake Wiggins

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone. I recently got a mated pair of Congo African greys. My wife and I have seen them mate a few times. I found 2 eggs in the nest box. A week later my wife seen them mating agian. Then I find another egg. Is it common for this to happen? upload_2018-12-7_5-55-47.jpeg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Blake Wiggins

I have been doing my research. I’m willing to learn the proper way to do thing so they will be happy and health. I would imagine all people that have had birds breed didn’t have a clue at first.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can research until your eyes bug out. Unless you have a physical experienced mentor to rely on and guide you for many seasons your "vision" is going to fail. And those baby birds will pay the price. It's not a hobby or a business.

While you're researching look up how many parrots are given up to rescues after only 2 years (85%). A few lucky ones get rehomed. Most don't.

What ya going to do with all these chicks?

Blake Wiggins

I’m re-homing these birds. As previous owner could no longer care for them. So I was blessed with this pair. Also I do understand that is isn’t a hobby or a business, and it isn’t easy caring for them. I’m Not in it for money just enjoyment. I plan on keeping the babies and raising them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
2 or 3 chicks at least once a season (maybe 2). Within a few years your house should be over flowing with birds looking for competent new owners.

My condolences.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Take some sound advice from someone who’s been doing it for a very long time my friend. There’s nothing wrong with letting those two birds breed and go through all the motions without having the burden of raising checks. Just use a little birdie birth control and give those birds a great life. That's what they deserve it at this point

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Slow down. You recently got these birds. You're new to this and you're certainly not ready for breeding.

Just from the photo you provided I can tell you don't have a good set up for breeding. That cage is too small for what you're using it for, so when you say you're going to keep the chicks, where will you be keeping them? Can you afford the vet care and toys and cages and food for all those birds? Do you have the space for 3+ more appropriately-sized parrot cages? How about handling all the noise and mess?

Please focus on your current birds for now. Enjoy them. Not the fantasy of what their eggs could give you. Get them a bigger cage and some toys. Replace or boil the current eggs and then ditch the box once they've finished going through the motions of breeding. We don't need more inexperienced breeders in it for the "joy" or whatever. These are highly intelligent and emotionally complex animals who live for decades. Your job is to give the birds you have right now the best life you can offer them. It is not to create more just because you want to.

You can revisit the idea of breeding once you have a good decade or two of parrot experience and research under your belt. There's a huge learning curve here, and you're only just at the beginning of it.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I agree with the others. You did just get these birds. I would focus on enjoying them like the others said, and also try to build trust between you guys.

Breeding takes a lot of time and money. Each bird will need to have vet visits in order to stay healthy. Each bird will need to have its own cage setup and toys. Also, each bird can make lots of noise and mess, and each bird will need your attention. Also, there’s the risk of losing chicks - are you ready for that?

Also, think about what your two current birds have just gone through. All they know is that they were given to a completely new family. You need to be patient and loving towards them. You need to focus on giving them the best life. Instead of focusing on breeding, I would spend the money to take your birds to go get a vet-checkup and also give them a nice cage setup with plenty of toys that will keep them busy and happy. Spend your time trying to build a bond with them and also trying to learn as much as you can about them. Focus on giving them a good diet. Your female will need a good source of calcium since she’s been laying eggs.

People here would be more than happy to help you with taking care of your two and with trying to give them the best life possible. Show these birds lots of love, build trust, and you will get lots of enjoyment out of having a bond with these birds.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Please realize that people aren't telling you to give up what you have... Cherish what you have! I THANK you!!!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thanks for you alls reply’s. Not what I expected to here but it is noted.

Everyone just wants what is best for your new birds. I’m sure you will absolutely fall in love with them soon once they hopefully start becoming more settled in. Feel free to ask us any questions on their care. :)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
A funny story: the CAGs next door would see me and call my name that sounded just like my mother's sick voice. I'd yell back, "Mom!" and run in. Soon they learned to call sounding just like me. She thought I called her and I thought she called me.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
please don't breed them there is no shortage of these birds:sad6:

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
You can find books on Amazon.com with all the information you need.

As far breeding goes they are your birds so it's your choice. People do underestimate the demands of a truly social animal like most parrot species makes and it's much greater than dogs which even active ones aren't that demanding although the food can cost a lot.

As to selling the hatchling unless you setup a reputable 'internet store' and learn how to ship them properly I think you'll have trouble getting 'bird rescue' or 'pet store' prices out of them unless you live in a major metropolitan area. Also make sure they are DNA sexed and thoroughly and demonstrably tamed before you try to sell to the customers. Band and microchip them as well and create a genealogy for them for yourself and the customers even though the information you have will be very sparse for the genealogy.

And it is true the bird rescue centers are overrun when one looks with macaws, African Greys, Amazons, and increasingly different sorts of conures so if you do sell consider those places, not just breeders and pet stores, as your competition (even though you probably are just pursuing breeding as a hobby for a few clutches in reality). When one considers the number of budgies & cockatiels bought at national chain stores compared to those other species it is a testament to budgies and cockatiels success as pets that so few of them wind up in bird rescue centers. Your advantage over bird rescue centers is you won't be screening out the overwhelming majority of the population on the basis of never having owned a pet bird before.

You could and should if you do wind up with fledglings you need to sell or give away supply each customer that gets ones with a book about African Grey parrot care (from Amazon.com or where ever) and one bag each of the different pre-packaged parrot foods the birds were weaned on. Prepare them for success. Don't tell them, on go search on YouTube or in forums and such but give them the information in a book that can comfortably sit down & read. After all, all the money spent for African Greys or even a budgie but then one is too cheap to get a professionally written competent book on how to care for them? Favor books by scientists or professional animal trainers over books by hobbyists or such (no offense to you, me or other forums members but professional training means more informed information to make care decisions with).