• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
I am getting my first eclectus in 3 weeks and so excited. I've never had a parrot before and am excited to spend a lot of time with him. I've had parrotlets, and cockatiels before but never a true parrot. Any first time advice? I included pictures of him.

Attachments

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If you've had plets and tiels you've had true parrots ;)

The best advice I have is to enjoy him! Eclectus are so different from other parrots... they're great companions and so much fun as babies :)

One more thing to add... offer him the biggest variety of food you can! Veggies, fruits, etc (keep the seeds, carbs, and beans to a minimum) ekkies are great eaters and it will make your life much easier if you get him started on the right foot!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting an Eclectus. How old is he/she right now?

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
Her hatch date was February 24th. I'm supposed to get her in 3-4 weeks.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Welcome to ekkie ownership! They are really awesome. Ask as many questions as you need. My most important word of advice is to educate yourself about their diet and as Milo said introduce plenty of healthy, fresh veggies, greens etc. I know zero about babies but have heard they will sometimes regress to wanting formula when you initially bring them into a new environment so you might talk with her breeder about having some formula for her - and how to prepare it, etc. - just in case.

Have fun getting to know her and post pics!