• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New oven

KaseySwan

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kasey Swan
My husband and I just bought our new home with all new appliances. My caique is staying at my parents home until I feel safe to bring her in. We have let the place air out from all the paint fumes and I have run all the appliances multiple times. However the oven still has a strong burning smell every time I run it. I know it will have oils from the factory that will need to burn off but at what point do you think it is safe to bring her home? I'd rather be safe than sorry but my parents are needing the bird out soon. Any suggestions?

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I wouldn't bring her home just yet.........does your oven have a self cleaning cycle? If it does, I would run the self cleaning cycle once. The self cleaning cycle will burn off all those smelly and toxic chemicals. Be sure to run your vent hood and open windows to get fresh air in. That is my suggestion.

KaseySwan

Real Name
Kasey Swan
It does and I just turned it on after your suggestion, thank you much!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
So also, I just wanted to clarify..........and you probably already know this, but apparently we cannot use a self cleaning oven EVER with our birds in the house. The extremely high heat that is burning the grease and splatter creates toxins that will kill our birds. I know even myself, I cough when I have used the self cleaning oven from those fumes. I don't have my birds yet.......but will have to find another way to clean the oven. other's have mentioned steam.

KaseySwan

Real Name
Kasey Swan
Right, I wouldn't ever do it with her in the house. The fumes are really nasty. I do have a steam clean option on my oven as well, is that something I can use when she is in the house or should I just find different options to clean it?

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Others have mentioned using the steam clean as a viable option. My stove has that as well.........just need to read about it.