• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Mom - Is this what a 6.5 week old lovebird looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Have you checked out other breeders and rescues? Buyer beware on this one.

I noticed the fuzzy toy on the photo and this material if chewed by birds is not good! Many a bird has been harmed. The ends looked chewed to me.

Anyway good luck.
The toy looks like one of those fleece rings?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You do have a written health guarantee and the vet appt tomorrow. Can't always tell enough just by looking at photos. As I wrote previously, could be different reasons for the feathering. Hope all goes well. Please let us know. Members were just giving you advice and guidance so you would make an informed decision but you are the one who will be seeing the birds up close and personal.

Last edited:

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I agree with JosienBB who said the plucking looks self inflicted. It’s very odd that birds that age would pluck. They haven’t been around long enough to have developed boredom. The only thing I can think it would be would be mites. It doesn’t seem like PBFD to me either.

If your heart is set on this baby that’s fine, of course it needs a good home. No one can fault you for where your heart is. Just realize that there’s some flags that you could “possibly” have some things to deal with right of the bat. Good luck in your decision. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The feathering must have also seemed off to you as you posted about it wondering. There may be nothing wrong at all; we don't know the whole story, and so we can only go off of the information provided.

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
Picked up the baby today.

His feathers are FINE. They were just in the natural state of growing in. There has been NO PLUCKING by this bird or any other bird.

The breeder was clean. The birds all looked well, energetic and healthy.

I think this baby may just be very young.

Got him home and he has been active, exploring his cage and eating well.
We see the vet tomorrow afternoon.

I guess asking for opinions is like checking WebMD when you have a hangnail.... it MUST be cancer.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's excellent news. Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing more about your new baby.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm glad the baby is fine. NO one wanted it to be anything bad, but based off of the photos it didn't look normal, which is what the question was. My only concern is getting a baby too young. Did the breeder show you how to handfeed in case he regresses? My 3 month old quaker did when he was first brought home so if this baby is at most 6.5 weeks old you may need to help him along.

Congrats on your feathered friend!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Happy for you .Have you picked out a name yet? Add to appreciate your update.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

His feathers are FINE. They were just in the natural state of growing in. There has been NO PLUCKING by this bird or any other bird.

I guess asking for opinions is like checking WebMD when you have a hangnail.... it MUST be cancer.
I'm happy for you that you checked your breeder and baby and that you felt comfortable to the point of bringing him home. To a certain extent I'm glad that you got him and that you are happy. And even happier that the flags raised weren't valid.

Sometimes photographs, like written words, aren't as accurate as they should be. If you're staying on AA, personally, I'd love to see the baby pix.

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian

Congrats on the new baby! Does he have a name?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

Yay! this is great news. Keep us posted. And we LOVE pictures!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congrats

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
welcome pooh.jpg to the HOOD. That definitely Looks plucked to me. the picture clearly shows nice developed wing feathers so the smaller ones should look a lot fuller than they show. Even the 2 week old birds look nicer on the cback. Compare to these images. I would be concerned with the purchase. Doesn't look right. If you get it make sure you get in writing a warranty for full plumage to come in with no self mutilation issues.

2 week old love birds love bird 2 wks.jpg

4 week old love birds love bird 4 wks.jpg love birds 4 wks.jpg

6 week old love bird love bird 6 wks.jpg

7 week old love bird love bird 7 wks.jpg

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
View attachment 274176 to the HOOD. That definitely Looks plucked to me. the picture clearly shows nice developed wing feathers so the smaller ones should look a lot fuller than they show. Even the 2 week old birds look nicer on the cback. Compare to these images. I would be concerned with the purchase. Doesn't look right. If you get it make sure you get in writing a warranty for full plumage to come in with no self mutilation issues.
I appreciate your opinon - but he was NOT PLUCKED. Each photo she sent me showed a progression of feathers COMING IN. His feathers are FINE. They just grew in in a funny way.

REALLY wish I could delete this thread.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ask one of the mods to either close the thread to further comment or delete it. We cannot delete threads.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
With all do respect...
You posted a pic of your baby which was clearly plucked, and asked for everyone’s opinion. You have knowledgeable people stating 100% sure that it’s feather growth was not of a normal baby, that it’s been plucked.
Now you’re arguing that it’s normal.
Im not sure where your desire to insult everyone here that stepped up to help you came from, but quite frankly I’m starting to think you’re a bit cray cray.

Status
Not open for further replies.