• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Mom - Is this what a 6.5 week old lovebird looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
I’ve never met this breeder but have followed her web page and read many good reviews. She posts pics of her birds, cages, set-up etc that have all looked clean, tidy and healthy looking birds. But I have no first hand knowledge. I do have her health guarantee, in writing, that says if my vet finds anything wrong with the bird, I can return for a full refund.

If I walk into her place tomorrow and it’s a stye, I’m turning around and walking out.

I’m in New Hampshire and the breeder is in Massachusettes.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You might not have the heart to ... just a heads up.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Oh I know it would be hard to walk away and leave babies in filth, but if that is the case, I am not in a position to take on a potentially ill bird. I’ll be sad, but I’ll walk.
Keep in mind that you could have it checked and return it but I also know that that's usually a point of no return for us softies.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I’ve never met this breeder but have followed her web page and read many good reviews.
If this breeder is so good, how can she sell 6,5 weeks old babies when they are normally weened 8-12 weeks?
And the baby looks plucked, and the breeder say something different about why it's not had feathers?

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
If this breeder is so good, how can she sell 6,5 weeks old babies when they are normally weened 8-12 weeks?
And the baby looks plucked, and the breeder say something different about why it's not had feathers?
I have contacted three of the people who left reviews tonight... all say the place is clean, their birds are healthy and they are very happy, so I feel a bit better.... will report back tomorrow!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you checked out other breeders and rescues? Buyer beware on this one.

I noticed the fuzzy toy on the photo and this material if chewed by birds is not good! Many a bird has been harmed. The ends looked chewed to me.

Anyway good luck.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope things go well tomorrow.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have contacted three of the people who left reviews tonight... all say the place is clean, their birds are healthy and they are very happy, so I feel a bit better.... will report back tomorrow!

See for yourself is pretty much the only answer for you and ask questions about why they "look plucked". If it only happens with her blue lovies then maybe the parents in question should have their chicks pulled before their parents start plucking. This is a personal comment of mine and I have no medical training but I'm mentioning it. Some bird parents do pluck their chicks and the only thing a vet has been able to tell me is that I should pull the babies as soon as the plucking starts.

But that also means that, depending on the age of the babies, you (the breeder) are now facing hand feeding x times a day @ x hour intervals. If you have a daytime job, that 2-3 hour hand feeding will kill you due to lack of sleep and working an 8 hour day.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully you get a chance to observe the baby for a while before you take her home. Maybe you can see if she is eating anything on her own. Ask the breeder what her weight is.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
In addition to the papers that @SandraK, mentioned write down all the questions for the vet and the answers, also, make a question list for her too.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
That is not normal feathering for a bird that age. Definitely looks plucked.

I don’t handfeed my babies, I co-parent. Parent raised birds generally wean faster than hand fed babies. All my babies have been weaned by 6 weeks. However, I would never let them go before 8-9 weeks.

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
Well.... you’ve all made me feel just terrible.

:sadbye:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

It is not your fault, it is this breeder. You are asking questions which is good. I agree they look plucked, my thought is plucked by parents too. This breeder doesn’t seem to give straight answers, or does she? Also just a heads up about the reviews, in the Netherlands there is a Terrible breeder, many of their sold birds have fallen ill for example. Yet if someone comments about that, the comment is deleted. They have posted false reviews, with pictures that have been taken from the internet and such. Just be carefull the people you messaged are not the breeder herself.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra

It isn't you, not at all. Please stay.

The breeder is the issue here... so many red flags that might be missed by someone new to birds and we are just trying to inform you of what we see. And what we see are babies that are plucked who are probably too young to go to a new home being sold to you by a breeder who is either lying outright or is just uninformed themselves and doesn't realize their birds are being plucked by the parents and too young.

But it isn't you, and it isn't your fault. You asked if that is what they looked like because you wanted to learn, and you have. That isn't normal, but you aren't liable for whatever is going on and no one is insulting or placing blame on you. We just don't want to see you get hurt, a broken heart if you take in a sickly bird or one who isn't weaned and needs a lot of special help. I am sorry if you feel attacked.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There is much wisdom here on AA and we do not set out to "make someone feel terrible". I hope you realize this and understand. If you want to rescue this baby and provide a loving home that would be great. This baby has had a rough start in life and this breeder should not charge you any money but I know that will not happen.

Here are a couple lovebirds in your state for adoption.
Lovebirds Adoption in New Hampshire | Adopt Lovebird Hatchlings & Birds in NH | Find a New Hampshire Lovebird for Adoption in our Classifieds at Petstew.com

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

This isn't your fault - you asked about the baby you're supposed to pick up and we pointed out things that were red flags to US. None of us were born bird experts, we've all learned as we go. One can read everything you can lay your hands on about the bird but there's a difference once you have the live bird in you possession.

Just like the difference between reading Dr. Spock and actually having the baby.

I'm sorry if we spoiled the anticipation and excitement of picking up the baby you wanted. You should still check him/her out and see for yourself.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Don't leave.
You have done nothing wrong. You asked questions and we here give straight answers. We don't beat around the bush.

It is your decision whether you wish to get this baby. We just want you to be informed. And if you get him/her, We will be right here to answer your questions and give you all the help we can. And when you take him/her to the vet ask them to show you how to hand feed just in case he/she regresses. It is not unusual for a baby bird to regress and need hand fed for a few days.

Good luck and may you find the birdie love of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.