• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NEW MEMBER with quesion about Dyson space heater

dianne herring

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
dianne
Hi...my name is Dianne and I have an African Grey and a cockatiel. My African Grey "Smokey" is about 16 yrs old and my cockatiel "Peep Peep" is about 20 yrs old. I have a question about the Dyson Fan/Heater. I live in NY and my furnace is broken and it will take 2 weeks to have the new one installed since I live in a manufactured home. I would like to know if these heaters are safe to use around my birds? The Dyson heater is the one that has no fan and is actually a tower. It was my neighbor's and it has been used for about 2 yrs before she lent it to me. I will not use it unless I know it's safe to use. I just bought a new oven too and won't use it because it says the ceramic odor has to burn off......I will use it when I can put my birds into another room with the windows open. I'm so afraid of something happening to my babies. If anyone has any inout for me about the heater I would greatly appreciate it.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since the heater has been used already, I think it should be OK. Can you ask the person who lent you the heater if the heater smells at all?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I know their hairdryer has Teflon in it. They have 24/7 email you can try.

dianne herring

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
dianne
Thank you for your replies.....the heater was turned on here in my house and there was no smell. My neighbor used them for about 2 yrs before lending them to me and I know they were always turned on even in summer. I'm going to email Dyson and see what they say. You would think these companies would start making bird friendly products since so many of us own birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When you call the company, don't just ask if the heater is "bird Safe". Specifically ask if the is any PTFE or PFOA in the heater. Those are the two things that can harm your birds - PTFE is deadly, has no Odor and kills quickly, the jury is still out on PFOAs, but I wouldn't take a chance.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome