• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Member Here!

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello! I have a single Cockatiel, I believe he is male, as far as I know he's 3yrs old. I found him on Craigslist about a year ago. Hes very spoiled and I'm in the process of making him a new and larger cage. I also have a few non feathered kids; a dog, a cat, and a betta fish. Well I was recently given the opportunity to move across country and now I am looking for some advice or tips or agencies to call so I can bring my little guy with me.
I will be flying, my dog will be in cabin with me. The cat will either be in cargo or I will use a relocation/travel service. I will be using a moving company for my belongings and I have yet to figure out how the others will be joining me. Im having a heck of a time finding out how to transport a bird! Id really hate to rehome anyone, in fact I may forgo the whole trip if I cannot bring everyone along.
-I'm currently in the southern US and moving to the West/Midwest area. . Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thank you.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Bump.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Some airlines let you take birds in the cabin with you. Delta does I believe.

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you. Do airlines let birds travel in the cargo area? My dog will be in cabin with me and unless I can convince a friend to fly with I wont be able to bring both in cabin.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to the Avenue! Sorry, I have no ideas about how to transport your bird other than to take him in the cabin with you or to ship him seperate. Some breeders ship their birds to buyers, so it can be done, but I just don't know much about it. Your cockatiel sounds adorable, you will have to post pictures!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Welcome aboard... Hope you can find a good resolution on travel for Sammy. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Both United and Delta accept birds for cargo or in cabin flight. Can the dog fly in cargo and the 'tiel be in the cabin? You can contact the airlines to see if you can bring both of them with you in cabin. I think the airlines allow for more than one pet in cabin depending on the flight and maybe you can discuss this with them and if both fit under the seat perhaps you could take them on board. However it's probably one pet per ticketed passenger. Good luck.

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you. I will look into those airlines!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I believe @Sarah13 recently flew with her Macaw, so she may have some tips for you

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
I believe @Sarah13 recently flew with her Macaw, so she may have some tips for you
Thanks, I will relay my experiences.

You will be able to take your fid no problem.
I have experience with American, United, and Delta. I received my macaw as cargo when I adopted her and shipped her as cargo when I moved to New York.
What you can do depends on the airline. For American, I was told only cats and dogs are accepted as checked or carry on. Not positive about United or Delta as I was on the receiving end or not flying on the plane to ask about check or carry on.
You can call the airline, go to cargo, and they will direct you to live animal inquiries. They will let you know if you can check, carry on, or must cargo. American will not cargo below 45 degrees but Delta and United will cargo anytime as far as I know granted nothing ridiculous is happening that would endanger animals and or the plane.
You will then be asked to go online to fill out a animal shipping request/reservation where you put From and To addresses, all the information about the animal, and weight/dimensions of the animal and carrier together.
From there just make a flight approved carrier (easy and feel free to ask if you have any questions and some members have posted some great links about making a carrier flight/bird ready).
If you do check or carry on, it's pretty straight forward just like a piece of luggage. For cargo, you just go to that airline's cargo office, check the animal in, sign, pay, leave.
Be safe and good luck! Have fun with your move!

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much! I would love to hear more about making a cage for the trip. Is there cages you can buy already put together? Thank you again!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You could purchase an airline approved carrier, then modify it for bird use. Different airlines may have different regulations.

To give you an idea....

American Airlines Pet Travel Policy
Traveling with pets - Special assistance - American Airlines

Delta Airlines Pet Travel Policy
Pet Travel Requirements & Restrictions : Delta Air Lines

United Airlines Pet Travel Policy
Traveling with In-Cabin Pets | United Airlines

Whichever airline you end up traveling on, be sure to call ahead and ask for the requirements. It may require getting a health certificate which you can get through a vet.