• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Male Linnie I've had for 2 weeks

Ann S

Moving in
Real Name
Ann Sherba
Hi, I am a new owner of Herman a Turquoise Linnie who is approx 2 and a half months old. I also have a LoveBird, A Senegal and a Yellow Fronted Amazon. I have had them for many years and recently my 8 year old Parrotlett Boo Boo passed on. I love little birds and thought hmm those Linnies sound like a bird I would like. I purchased from a Breeder who was handfeeding her Linnies. In order not to frighten the little guy, I open his cage and wait for him to come out. After a bit I go over and ask him to step up. He will usually bite me a couple times and then step up. And every so often will jump on my chest and let me scratch his head, Herman moves his head in all directions , seeming to love it. I start thinking I am making progress with him, and then last night I let him come out, he stepped up and was hanging around me. I asked him to step up and I got attacked. He grabbed my finger and wouldn't let go and just kept acting very aggressive. So I put him back in his cage. He has done this to me on other occasions also. Another person I know got a linnie from the same clutch. Her linnie is sweet as can be, no biting or agression problems at all. The breeder did tell me he was quite behind compared to his siblings for being weaned and so forth. She kinda of hinted he had been biting alot. I know all birds are not the same, but is mine normal behaviour? Especially for a bird so young? He doesn't seem fearful, he seems aggressive. He has tested every part of his cage with his beak I am sure, plays with his toys and eats and drinks well. (we are still working on the fruit and veggies). Am I expecting too much too soon?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I don't have linnie experience but I'm sure others will answer soon. :)

@Lady Jane ?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have a young Linnie named Kobe. He was not tame when I got him in a private sale. Many Linnies are hand shy and Kobe will attack my hands at times also. I have learned to move very slowly with my hands. He especially attacks them when I am holding food or removing food from his cage. Other than this he is just the best little bird. Very energetic and loves to fly, eat and play with his toys, especially ones with beads handing on leather strips. He is talking up a storm now. He likes to be with my female English Budgie but they are not caged together. She has learned she cannot boss him around like she is used to doing with her mate who is no longer alive. There nails grow very fast so if you can find a groomer to come to you home it would be good. Food is not even an issue for Linnies. They will eat just about anything on the menu. He especially loves apple slices and carrots. You are very luck to have found a bird that was hand fed.

@jmfleish

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Welcome to the forum! When I
Got my cobalt Linnie Maui, she was very hand shy, now she will accept fruits and veggies from my hands. I think a big key with these birds is to move slowly. Tiki, my green Linnie was a rescue, she was aggressive, and would lunge at anyone when they tried to change her food/water or clean the cage. Again, moving more slowly seems to have helped. As for the fruits and veggies, start with the Linnie favorites, carrots and apples and then slowly move on from there, most linnes love their fresh food and will learn to try new things quickly. You could also try eating some veggies or
fruits near the cage, curiosity will normally bring the Linnie out to see what you're doing, if they see you eating it, they might be more willing to try new things :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes they are so very curious. Kobe always comes to where I am when I look in his cage. I was eating yogurt from a spoon which he had never seen or tasted. Now he is eating yogurt too just like mom.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Are you ignoring it when your linnie bites and still asking for a step up?

From the sounds of it, your linnie was telling you "No", "Not right now", "I don't understand what you want" or "I don't feel comfortable with this", and when you ignored this body language, it escalated to bites. When you ignored the biting, it has now escalated to actual attacks.

If this is the case, then I can say yes, you are asking too much too soon. You may be failing to read and understand your linnies body language and in frustration, he is biting you. You need to take a step back and see where you are going wrong. Are you asking too much? Does he understand what you are asking? Can you try changing your approach? Can you try leaving him be and trying again in a few minutes? Is there a way you could teach him to do as you ask? (rather than demanding it?)

Here's a couple of videos from Barbara Heidenreich that may help. :)

Ann S

Moving in
Real Name
Ann Sherba
Thanks everyone for the feedback. And thanks Monica, reading your post made me realize what I was really doing to Herman. It helps to have it pointed out! I tried it differently with Herman last night. I opened the cage, he finally came out and hung around on top of his cage. I watched for a while and went to the opposite end and talked to him. Eventually he came over, he went back and forth a few times, then came back and started making the movements towards me likes he wants to go somewhere. So I did put my finger down and asked him to step up. He did with no biting! So we sat for a while and then I put him back at the opening of his cage and he climbed in. The best part was after Herman was in his cage, he perched on the side of the cage which was closest to me. He has never done that before, so I think we are making some headway, and I just need to relax and not try to rush things along!
Thanks again everyone!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is this breeder in PA? I have been talking to one in that area.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's a mistake that many owners make, myself included. :) I know how tough it is to want to physically interact with them from the get go, but the birds aren't quite ready for that!

It's all about giving birds *choice*, while trying to give them an incentive to choose you over another option. Pair yourself with something good! Find his favorite treats and always have a little on hand. Reward him for doing what you want. If he doesn't understand what you want, then break it down into steps that are easily achievable. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OH no not the same one. A breeder just made me an offer that was awesome but 3 birds is just too much for me. Thanks

Ms.Melis

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
Hello,
I have a 4 month old hand-tamed Linnie that I got from a really good breeder in January. He’s the sweetest boy and love to give affection and spend time with us. A couple of weeks ago he bit my boyfriend and since then his behaviour has progressed to full put attacking. He is now occasionally biting me. I am trying to ignore the behaviour and not react, but it doesn’t seem to be getting better. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it, I really want to stop this behaviour.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Ms.Melis I suggest you repost your question to the Linnie Landing forum because this thread is from 2015. Your question may not be noticed here.