• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Male Blue Fronted Amazon

Leam

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi All,
Just joined. We are bringing home a 5month male blue fronted amazon on Friday (full certs and DNA, hand reared).
My parents used to have a female blue fronted 20 years ago (passed away).

We have 2 young active boys (4 & 7) who are keen to train the parrot (in due course).

Any suggestions on how to train the male parrot would be most welcome.

My wife has never had a parrot and is a bit cautious so I need her and the parrot to get along so there;s no day to day aggression (from the parrot).

Thanks

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh that's wonderfully exciting for you. Thanks for joining. I will tag a person that can help with questions: @Love My Zons

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Male BFAs are often rehomed when hormones kick in about 2-5 yrs old.
You have a few years till then, but best to prepare now so life will be better then.
I've had an older BFA and loved him dearly, even at silly season.
Be sure to train him to step up on a stick so you or anyone can move him around when he gets a bit crazy.
Do clicker training so you learn his body language and he learns a way to communicate with you.
Clicker training can also be a way to end a day on a good and positive cooperative note on the days when his hormones are getting the best of him.
See Barbara Heidenreich books, website, youtube for clicker training. too many links to list.
Also Lara Joseph is great too.
The Animal Behavior Center is an Educational Center
Read Susan Friedman parrot behavior articles, very important!
Understanding Parrot Behavior | Beauty of Birds
You are being redirected...
edit to say (this last link above does work for me, collection of her papers at The Gabriel Foundation)

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Congrats on the baby! The only advice I can offer is allowing this baby to become a confident bird. Allowing time to sit back and take in all in. The home's Family dynamic from noise to activity. A preferred place would be in a central location so this bird see's and hears the daily interaction of the Family or so called flock.

As for hands on my suggestion would be knowing that birds will test, they will nip they will bite. When is the question, and eventually finding out the triggers. Just because it'a a baby means nothing as to behavior and nipping or biting. Blue Fronts are one of the hot Amazons. They are not as laid back as the Red Lored, The Lilac Crowned, White Front or Mealy.

One suggestion on care and feeding to be all involved. If you allow the kids to put the food and water in rotating who does this chore as to everyone being involved. Not having one sole caretaker allows for your bird to see it's everyone who's the one who brings the good stuff.

Little kids can run, scream in play and this could set off the bird in a negative way so be prepared for this. One one should become this birds favorite if the Family interacts socially giving this bird the time and communication of talking to or playing with. Birds will try to choose their favorite mate so to say. It can happen, just knowing this allows for no hard feelings. The 4 year old and 7 year old will have interest, but not as much as the Adults for day to day care and interaction.

And by all means do not allow that bird on their shoulders to handle, you do not want a bite to happen on their face or near eyes. It takes time for everyone to figure each other out. A busy Amazon is a happy Amazon allowing all the fun toys for enrichment, foraging and chewing. Amazons are also not the needy kind of bird, they are great at self entertainment too.

Eye pinning and tail flaring are signs of excitement in both good or bad. Talking will also get an Amazon to pin their eyes too, it's not a bad thing just a way they communicate their emotions.

Best of luck, post pictures for us and by all means ask away if you have any questions. I am not a Blue Front owner, I have the lesser of the hot Amazons. @melissasparrots is also another good Amazon Momma as well as @Clueless owning two of the Blue Fronts.

:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Work with him a lot at a young age. As Debbie said, the males and even the females can be quite a bit to handle once they hit maturity around three or four. They are considered one of the "Hot Three" along with the Double Yellow Head and the Yellow Nape and can give you a run for your money when they come into adulthood. Frequent handling and handling by more than one person can help curb that. We have two female pets and a male/female bonded pair, all over the age of ten. The females are fairly well behaved but do have their favorites. One is in love with my husband but will let me handle her. The other loves me and doesn't care to deal with my husband at all. The female of the pair can be handled, but the male is stick trained and very protective of his mate. I don't dare give him my hand or I will lose it!:) Good luck! They are beautiful birds.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
welcome and congrats

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have grandsons that are 6, 5 and 3. They talk to the parrots but know to put no fingers in the cages.

The birds generally go higher in the cage when the boys are there.

Amazons are awesome. Tell your wife to join us here. She'll fall in love soon.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Welcome to the forum :fairy2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting the BFA. Here is Barbara Heidenreich's website:
http://www.goodbirdsinc.com

I've had my BFA since he was 3 mos. old. I forgot how old he was when he reached maturity and one day suddenly ran at me and bit my ankle. What a shock that was since Casey was always gentle and never bit. Casey is not a morning bird and really doesn't want to be bugged in the AM, but during the PM he's a totally different bird, wanting to step up and play and being very gentle. Important to be aware of your BFA's moods and to work with your BFA and socialize him as much as possible. Also work with your children and make sure that they are careful. If I were you I would be sure to always be around when your BFA is out so that you can supervise.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome and congratulations :)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My biggest advice at this point would be the standard watch body language, ask before petting, let him say no to your advances and give him space. Too many people get a young amazon and ruin it by trying to be its best friend and pestering it continually to accept scratches and carry it around on their shoulder. Young amazons are busy. They have stuff to do that doesn't include you and if you try to continually bother your amazon to accept a certain type of interaction, it's likely to learn to bite in order to make you go away. Or it might just get bored and bite for something to do if you try to force it to sit with you. Give it attention, but accept that it must be on his terms.
Also, as he matures, realize that kids running around screaming with the bird out of the cage are likely to be bloody and screaming kids sooner or later. I can't workout in my living room with my adult male amazon loose. Too much jumping around puts him on the attack. Blue fronts are known to be a little calmer than my yellow napes, but hormones can be a problem with amazon. Especially amazon males. If you are a calm person, willing to accept that your amazon is a bird and will act like it, then they can be amazing life long companions.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue...and Congrats on your new addition! :)

We'd love to see pics when you can get them....;)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran