• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Lovey Owner Looking for Advice

HazelSt

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hazel
Hiya,
I am new to the forum and to bird keeping and I just picked up my baby lovebird yesterday. It's (not sure on gender) doing well eating, drinking and exploring. But today it keeps going between napping and having so much energy he's pacing his cage and flying all over the place.
He doesn't seem stressed I think it's just bouts of energy but I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced it.

Also he's apparently hand reared but closest I can get to him is touching his cage as soon as I put my hand in to do anything he freaks. Is he wild? Or just shy so early on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hazel

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome and congrats on your fid!
It is normal for a baby in a new home to sleep a bit more and be active between naps I believe. If he seems alert, not puffed up all the time, eats+Drinks+poops well and sleeps on one foot(two feet is not per se bad I think As he is a baby, but I Will leave that to people more experineced with babies!) I think it is okay:) Nonetheless, a well bird checkup is never a bad idea for a new bird:)

It could be both, just treat him as if he were wild:) You need to build trust with him and establish mutual respect:)
Be close to him at a distance he is okay with, at that distance you can softly talk/read/sing to him. Drop a treat in a bowl(I would suggest a piece(Tiny!) of millet or a sunflower seed, while removing those from his normal diet) every time you walk by his cage and enter the room. Don’t look him directly in his eyes, move slowly around him, and if he seems scared, back off:) Don’t force him to do anything:) It can take a long or short time for him to trust you, with one of my lovebirds it took about 2 weeks to fix Some of his behavior problems and build Some trust. With the other one, he was coming to me when he saw me after me feeding him sunflower seeds a few times the very first day he came home. He voluntarily came to me after a couple days and was napping on my finger after a bit over a week I think.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Hi and welcome to the Avenue, Hazel! Congrats on your new little one.
My lovies were also GO GO GO until they'd just pass out for a nap. Then they'd wake up and be tearing about the room once more. :lol:The two modes for lovebird are Full Speed and Off.

And yes, you will need to take it slow with a bird. Even if he is tame, you are a stranger to him. A great thing to do is sit near his cage and read to him so he can get used to your presence and voice. Be ever patient and calm.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome I hope you enjoy your time here :)

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Just take your time, nice and slow as others have said. I got my lovebird 3 months ago and she was scared but would at least perch on my finger. What I did to win her over was play youtube video of lovebirds chirping. As soon as i started doing that she was instantly interested and within a couple of hours she started to fly to me to watch with me. Took about 2 days after that for her to come to me on her own to spend time with me and sleep on me.

Congrats on your new baby! What is his name? Maybe i missed but but i didnt see it posted.