• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new lovebirds

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
hi everyone I am getting 2 lovebirds today they are 2 years old male which is seagreen and female creamola I don't want to breed them any suggestions

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Some simple things that may help are don't give them anything that resemble a nest box and to frequently rearrange the cage.

madison nicole

Walking the driveway
Are they bonded? Do you plan on keeping them in the same cage? If so dont provide a nesting box as that may motivate them to breed

Loviebirds<3

Meeting neighbors
Probably best to not give them any material to shred such as easy to reach newspaper. Also try stay away from tents to sleep in as that can also encourage breading.
Good luck!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you put them in one cage together there is no way to stop them from breeding, even if there is a nest box. I suggest you purchase a set of dummy eggs just in case. Then if and when eggs are laid you can substitute them for the real eggs. Let the female lay on the eggs until she is finished.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I think separate but adjacent cages are the best, and fully monitored out of cage time. If the two are bonded, or develop a bond while sharing a cage or time together with no supervision, then breeding can happen.

The absence of a nest box or shredding material did not prevent Piper's mother if she wanted babies. Piper was actually part of a very unplanned clutch - but nothing would stop his mom when she was ready to have eggs.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think separate but adjacent cages are the best, and fully monitored out of cage time. If the two are bonded, or develop a bond while sharing a cage or time together with no supervision, then breeding can happen.

The absence of a nest box or shredding material did not prevent Piper's mother if she wanted babies. Piper was actually part of a very unplanned clutch - but nothing would stop his mom when she was ready to have eggs.
I don't think it's really fair to separate them if they are bonded. There are plenty of ways to reduce the risk of breeding (12 Hr sleep schedule, no nest box, etc.), and to deal with eggs if they do happen. No need to stress them out and potentially cause emotional damage to a pair of bonded birds.