• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Lovebird

0luciel0

Moving in
Hi, yesterday I got an 8 month old lovebird who used to be in an aviary. It had been in a cage for a little while and it’s still in the same cage. It mostly hid in the corner yesterday, but today it’s become much more ambitious and has started chirping, eating again and playing with a ladder that I slotted through the bars (I can’t put my hand in to put the toys in properly). It’s okay when I’m in the room and I’m near the cage and all that, but it’s when I open it and try and pick things out (like the tomato I threw in). Will I be able to tame it?

Thanks

birderkb

Moving in
Oluciel0 welcome to the forum! It sounds like your lovebird is settling in and responding more positively to its new environment by chirping, eating and playing. My Nimbus was a stray when I adopted her about 3.5 months ago. She was pretty much scared to death of me reaching into her cage (she seemed to hate hands) so I would sit by her and talk to her and not disturb the cage too much. Since I have dogs, she gets to fly free in a spare room so I sit in there with her. I play lovebird videos from Youtube and she's very curious and perches on top of the laptop (which is close to me) and likes to look at them. I sit with a pillow and the laptop on my lap and she now will land on the pillow. I can now walk up to her and be fairly close and she has buzzed around my head. But she has not landed on me yet and may never do so (and thats ok). I do feel she has come a long way in trusting me since I initially adopted her, so I keep at it. It can take awhile and a lot of patience!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Yes, I think with time you can . Just try to take things slow You can try hand feeding her treats through the cage bar too.

0luciel0

Moving in
Hi, I’ve been spending a bit more time with him, and I can now put my hand in! I haven’t tried through the main door, but I managed to put his toys in properly and put some treats in with him just looking at me!

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Since it lived in an aviary, i assume it was with a flock of lovebirds. The bird is tameable but it may take a but longer than one that was hand raised and kept with constant interaction. The new baby is just settling in, try feeding it some millet through the bars. My lovebird i got was terrified when i brought her home, i started playing lovebird videos(ones where they chirped) and she became interested and started flying to me. 3 days later, i didnt need the videos anymore. She just flew to me.

0luciel0

Moving in
I’m just a bit nervous to let him out. How will I get him back in his cage?

birderkb

Moving in
I waited a week before I let Nimby fly free, I wanted her to get used to her cage first. She just seemed to go back into her cage on her own but she is confined in a spare bedroom when free because I have dogs. I now can tell her to go to her cage and point to it and she goes right in. I've read other posts where folks initially used their bathroom (if you can get the cage in there) to let their lovies fly free because its a smaller space but make sure there are no hazards and cover any mirrors.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting your cute lovebird.

0luciel0

Moving in
Hi, I think I’m going to wait a little, maybe till Sunday since that’s when I’m going to clean out his cage. Thank you for all the advice!

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Welcome to the forum.........you are already making a lot of progress. It's all about building trust and that varies from bird to bird. But it can take a LONG time in some cases. Sounds like you are doing just fine. Congratulations and keep us informed of your progress.