• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New lovebird parront

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The nibbles are the smallest Roudybush makes and I get them on mysafebirdstore. Many bird people shop there. It's difficult to find the nibble size. Some members here feed the next size up called crumbles.

I am not that good with love bird mutations so Fisher is my guess.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Thanks for the info, I am thinking about getting him a nice cage in a while. The vision cage was a gift.
I know many people here seem to really dislike the Vision cages but I have to say I'm in love with them. I have two of the largest size (the one you have now as well as the one with smaller bar spacing) set up as double-deckers and they've been awesome so far. SO much less mess and more stable than people seem to think? Obviously plastic is never going to be as strong as metal but I actually prefer a cage that is light enough for me to move around easily. They're kinda nice because I've been able to remove the top section to make the cage smaller for traveling and road trips. BTW the best advice I can give you now is use the cage without the grate! It really makes cleaning a breeze!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well I had the tallest V cage and it fell apart several times. It was put together by a person that sells them. I am glad you like them.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm enjoying your updates and looking forward to more.

Many lovie folks put broccoli and healthy lettuces in the cage bars as an introduction to veggies.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I've seen videos of people doing that. I made a few simple organic paper foraging toys for him yesterday and put some millet in each. It took him a few hours to check them out, but he soon began ripping them apart after I opened one a little so he could see the millet. I'm going to try giving him some peppers and broccoli when I get home from work in an hour or so. (The lady at the store said he got green bell pepper bits as a treat)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I just mixed a few small veggies into brown rice I cooked and Cooper ate it right away, never having seen rice before I thought that was great. Now I will try quinoa. Just passing on to other Lovebird people.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
What a good idea, I'll have to try that.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just mixed a few small veggies into brown rice I cooked and Cooper ate it right away, never having seen rice before I thought that was great. Now I will try quinoa. Just passing on to other Lovebird people.
Sounds yummy!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Day 4 (so far)
Boba seems to be coming around and for the first time he ate while he knew I was watching him. Perched on his little dish, he would grab some food and look at me as he ate. He is now taking his afternoon nap and looking unbearably cute all poofed up with his little eyes closed tight.

We are about a third of the way through Le Morte De Arthur. I've noticed that he waits until I stop reading to go to his nap perch. Such a smart boy!

He seems to enjoy our daily routine and I look forward to when he is comfy enough with me to begin training. The more time I spend with him the more interested he seems in seeing what I'm doing. I play guitar for him after his nap and he loves it! He will bob his head and spin around on his perch, tweeting along here and there. Tonight I will prepare a special meal of small pieces of veggies and fruits (from the bird safe list) and find out what he prefers, besides green peppers.
Hopefully I'll be able to get some better pictures in a few more days when he is more settled in. My project for my day off tomorrow is to build a portable stand/playgym for him. Any suggestions on bird safe wood/materials?

Thanks again for the kind words and advice,
- Sam and Boba

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I just have to say you are doing wonderful with him! I wish every bird owner was as patient and understanding with their new bird. He is going to thrive in your care, and I can tell he's going to be one spoiled little birdie!:)

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks for the kind words. :) I hope he is thinking the same. I have to admit it's hard not being able to handle him yet, but I know how I'd feel if some giant decided to just pick me up and scratch my head, so I'm just trying to see things from his point of view. And oh yes, he will be loving smothered with affection, toys and treats.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I've decided to move my updates to lovebird lane, as it seems a more appropriate venue for the topic. It will be under the thread title "Boba updates".
Thanks to everyone for your support and advice.
Sam and Boba

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Thanks! I've found it to be a wonderful community and an invaluable resource so far. Thanks for the warm welcome and the awesome forum!