• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New lovebird , need help !! :)

Johann Guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johann Mark Guy
hey guys just got a baby lovebird my first ! And i love him so much his name is coco, i was wondering whether anyone could tell me what colour or type he is thanks in advance ! Ill leave u guys with a photo i havent seen any bird on the net with his colours so as to why im confused ! IMG_8932.JPG

Johann Guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johann Mark Guy
Your right he does look like one :) his beak is a bit black and yellow tho will it change with time ? And how much should i feed him .. and when should i worry about air in his crop is scares me abit when i see air bubbles on the side of his neck

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Yes the black will disappear, as he gets older, you can tell he is young baby, as thats the color of their beaks when they r young. Are you handfeeding him ? How old is he ?

Johann Guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johann Mark Guy
Yes im hand feeding him atm :) have been doing so for a week now and im not sure exactly how old he is i would say about 4 weeks roughly ? Ill add a pick of when i got him from the petshop .. do u think he will be blue and like lime green ? He such a character id im very conscious od giving him alot of attention but is he too small to teach him stuff like "up" so he gets on my hand

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I think he will have both colors as pastel peachface, has these colors. My Lovebird is a peachface, he has red, blue, green, in his feathers.Have you been weighing your baby daily ? to check to see if good weight ? Also how much is he eating ? 1-2 syringes ?

Johann Guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johann Mark Guy
Oh my god i havent been weighing him what so ever petshop hasnt told me too .. ive had him a week and hes been eating more lately about a syringe and a half , he seems to be growing nicely by the looks of it the petshop gave me a red heat bulb to put on outside his little plastic cage at the moment .. shud i be using it ?

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Its a good idea, to weigh him, before each feeding, this way, you will tell, if hes maintaining his weight. As for the red heat bulb, is that the kind for birds ? or for Lizards and snakes ? because the ones for Lizards and snakes, are not good for birds.

Johann Guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johann Mark Guy
image.jpg Its this bulb i dont know whether its for birds or reptiles ..

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I am not sure, what kind bulb this is good for.

Johann Guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johann Mark Guy
Does my baby even need heat from a bulb ?

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Years ago, when I bred my Lovebirds, The babies I took care of, I had nestboxes, I lined the nestboxes with soft fleece peices, Also I used a heat disc ( The kind you microwave for few minates) then I would wrap a towel around the disk, & placed the babies on top, of disk, Kept them nice and warm, for hours.

Johann Guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johann Mark Guy
Wow that sounds like a great idea ! :) ill keep you posted on how it goes with coco ..thanks a million for your help .. one last question when feeding him he usually closes his beak and get away from the syringe when ive fed him quite a bit does this mean he is old enough to know how much he needs to eat or should i give him more

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I put a heating pad under 1/2 of the brooder (5 gallon terrarium) that I was using with my red-bellied parrot babies. Generally set it to medium. I did have temperature disks on the brooder so I could monitor the temperature and make sure it didn't get too hot or too cold.
The bottom of the brooder was lined with towels and the top of the brooder closed off with a mesh cover.
Coco is cute and hope things go well with her. Weigh her daily and also keep a record of exactly how many ccs she is eating at each feeding.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Yes , your baby,will let you know, when he is full. I am handfeeding a Quaker at the moment, He always lets me know, when he had enough. Look forward to hearing the progress of your baby.

Johann Guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johann Mark Guy
Hello guys thanks all for your wonderful comments ! I feel at home already haha , i have one question when is good to start feeding him adult food or even giving him water to drink on his own ? Thanks in advance !

Johann Guy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Johann Mark Guy
Hi guys, just an update on coco he is doing great ! Moved into his new cage today and hes eating slowly but surely by himself also flapping his wings and seems so happy with alot of extra space ive bought him some egg food and small fruit pieces and also a brown seed thing i think its a millet which he loves ! Im trying to teach him how to drink water on his own any tips on how to get him drinking by himself again thanks for all the support !! Much love to avianavenue you guysrock
IMG_8956.JPG

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Put a bowl of water in his cage, and show him it, even put some on his beak, you can try tapping the water dish to , I suggest also maybe to put a rope perch in his cage, , they are nice for their feet, also give him some toys to, lovebirds love toys to play with .

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's adorable! Glad to hear he's doing well now. :) (He will soon need a larger cage and more toys and natural perches.)