• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New little linnie. Help

List84

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, just this past Saturday I addes my first bird to the family. A 10 week old cobalt male named Pym.
He was pirchases from what i would say is a backyard breeder. But seems to be a healthy little guy. He was hand fed. And was apparently hand tamed.
But of course is now super scared. The most interaction hes allowed is letting ne hold a piece of apple for him.
Since Im new to Linnies and birds in general Im really looking to undeestand what to expect. Should i just let him be and slowly hope that he eventually doesnt run away from me anymore. Help!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! All new birds need time to settle in. Try spending time just sitting with him and talking to him and letting him get used to his new surroundings.

@Lady Jane ?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting Pym. Your little friend is probably scared. He is in a new environment with new people and objects. Just take it slow with him and be patient. Don't force him to come out of the cage. Continue to offer him treats, sit near him and talk to him. Post some photos when he is more comfortable.

List84

So Im assuming this behaviour is something to be expected.
Ive been talking to him, offering food. And when he seems frazzled i always back off. As I want long term trust.
My whole thinking was to give him some time and then add a second linnie in 6 months or a year. Is that advisable or should i get him a friend sooner rather than later?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I had a cobalt male also for about 2 years. I can tell you for sure your bird is very young and just taken away to a new home. He is also with new people so he is very scared. Most likely he is in a new cage with new toys and eating new food. You are lucky he is tame and eating apple from your hand. Linnies adore apples and are generally very good eaters. Be slow and steady with him and create a routine and stick by it for his comfort. Same time to wake up and go to bed, same time to eat, same time to play with you.
Following routines helps to make him more comfortable in his new home. No cats or dogs if you have any should be in the same room with him. Is he flying or are his flight feathers clipped? Give his room to settle in his new cage. Try not to put your hands in the cage too much. Putting your hands on the outside of the cage is OK. Talking or singing to him is good so he will get used to your voice. He needs a good 10 to 12 hours of sleep every night without human noise, conversation , TV or other sounds. A night light he an see is also good. If you have any concerns or other questions we are here for you.

It is important that you understand that Linnies love to burrow under materials like blankets or cushions. When you bird is out be very weary of accidently sitting on him. It has happened to other people so always check where he is before anyone sits down. You can see my Linnie Kobi doing his burrowing thing here: Another Peek-a-Boo

I suggest you read though the Linnie Landing forum and you will learn so many helpful hints on their care and safety.

Last edited:

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
We have two male Linnies, only since March. It takes patience, but they are sweet little love bugs.
Play him music. Talk to him. Use your hands only to give him food. They will soon associate your hands with food. Neither of mine were remotely tame. But now, both are eating veggies and fruit from mine and my children's hands.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@List84 how are you and your bird?

List84

Pym is still shy and will only occasionally take some apple from my hand. Albeit cautiously.
I did however leave his cage open today to see if he would take a step out. Not only did he do that. But jumped right out and ran across my house. I was pretty shocked, since hes been so cautious to this point. I was able to scoop him up and return him to his cage safely. No biting. But he was pretty frazzled. I don't know if i should have handled it differently but as I mentioned was pretty shocked.

Ive ordered TOPS pellets, and have started sprouting as Im trying to make sure his diet is complete.

Ive got a few natural perches and toys.

Is there anything else i should be doing for my little guy? Any tips for hand taming, diet, stimulation? And any input of getting a second linnie. Pros and cons to 2?

NandayLover

Walking the driveway
My mom has a hand fed Linnie, sweet little bird, gives kisses and such. But he doesn't like to be held or touched, he likes to interact by playing and taking treats and riding around on her shoulder and is overall a very fun outgoing bird but Linnies are typically hand-shy. It's a very common trait amongst these bird to my understanding. This doesn't necessarily make them "untame" just independent

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
You asked if there were pros or cons to one or two Linnies. I know that one bird may bond more to you, but, unless you are with you bird all day, every day, I recommend he/she have a companion. But I believe that is important of all pets. Just my thoughts. I put myself in their shoes. Would I be happy alone?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The best thing you can do for him is to get another male Linnie. More than other species linnies need another same sex mate.

When I got Murphy he was almost catatonic. Hardly ate, no playing and just sat on a perch doing nothing. The moment Mickey arrived he came alive with birdie joy. Your bird will do the same. Best to do this while he is young.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Linnies hate hands. We have two and they are loving and sweet, but will never like your hand for anything more than food. We use a perch to step them up, or our forearm for them to scoot up to their favourite spot on a shoulder. My daughter holds one of them with her hands. This bird absolutely hates the act of being picked up, but likes the cuddles. The other one would never allow that. EVER.
This will sound idiotic, but eventually try your nose for cuddles. Ours love going beak to nose with us and let us rub their chests with our noses. And we're such suckers we do it. Lol. One of our birds even bows her head down for kisses.
Totally tame, totally docile, very loving. Just in a different way than other birds. Can't be compared to any other species in my mind.