• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Leash

Susan and Oliver

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Haven't posted in Bark Park before. We were without a dog for many years but then along came Norman <3

I was in need of a strong but softer lead for our rowdy retriever so decided to try my hand at dog tethers...it's the same technique I've been using to make crawlers, etc, for the last 12 years. Permanently dyed, heavy solid bronze hardware, 5 to 6 feet long. Introductory price $35 Canadian - approximately $25 US.

Would love your comments. They're not on the website yet - if you're interested let me know. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
Those are very sleek looking. My mother would love one of them for her birthday :xflove:

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
Aw thank you! She's a labradoodle, beautiful blonde color. The minute they're released on the site I'll think about ordering one :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Pretty. If I had a dog, I would get one.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I might consider one for my 60 pound Norwegian Elkhound. He's still growing a bit at a year old and while the main leash we have for him is strong and sturdy, my hands get so torn whenever he pulls because the leash is flat and made out of some hard nylon(?) material.

I'd be really interested if you were somehow be able to create a little length of rope that branches off the main rope to hook onto his collar? That's the main feature I look for in a leash, because there have been times where he manages to slip out of his harness. I like having the extra comfort knowing that he is still hooked to the leash in the case that his harness slips off.

Susan and Oliver

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I might consider one for my 60 pound Norwegian Elkhound. He's still growing a bit at a year old and while the main leash we have for him is strong and sturdy, my hands get so torn whenever he pulls because the leash is flat and made out of some hard nylon(?) material.

I'd be really interested if you were somehow be able to create a little length of rope that branches off the main rope to hook onto his collar? That's the main feature I look for in a leash, because there have been times where he manages to slip out of his harness. I like having the extra comfort knowing that he is still hooked to the leash in the case that his harness slips off.
My hands were also taking a beating from Norm's leashes. That's really why I made the first one. There's also a slight give to the rope which makes it easier on the dog and our joints. Will think about the attachment from harness to collar. Thanks for your comments.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I have littles, so the hardware would be too much for them, but I love them. Will be sharing to my friends with normal sized dogs for sure.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Very nice! I'd like to see an o-ring or something looped into the handle so that you can hook it to itself if you're 'wearing' it. When we're hiking, the dogs are off leash. Without the extra loop, I end up tying leashes around my waist or just hanging them over my shoulders.

Susan and Oliver

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have littles, so the hardware would be too much for them, but I love them. Will be sharing to my friends with normal sized dogs for sure.
Thanks! I've been asked to do a few for smaller dogs. I've always had large dogs and like longer leashes - 5-6'. Would a 4' lead be an appropriate length for 10-15lb dog?

Very nice! I'd like to see an o-ring or something looped into the handle so that you can hook it to itself if you're 'wearing' it. When we're hiking, the dogs are off leash. Without the extra loop, I end up tying leashes around my waist or just hanging them over my shoulders.
There is a welded bronze o-ring on the handle itself. In the picture the tethers are hanging by their o-rings so not really visiable. Is that what you were looking for? Thanks for your comments @Cara

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are beautiful! I have a boston terrier and worry about the heavy hardware. I think some people prefer and 4 and some 6 foot leashes. It preference.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Thanks! I've been asked to do a few for smaller dogs. I've always had large dogs and like longer leashes - 5-6'. Would a 4' lead be an appropriate length for 10-15lb dog?

There is a welded bronze o-ring on the handle itself. In the picture the tethers are hanging by their o-rings so not really visiable. Is that what you were looking for? Thanks for your comments @Cara
Perfect! I like a 6 foot leash myself.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I think the length is just fine. I use 6' for mine and they are 7lb. Having small ones, it's the weight/size of the hardware that is important. Too heavy/clunky and it wears them down a bit, lol.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
OK - one more comment. I love the look of these, but I have big, black, swimming dogs. Could you make a black version with color at the ends? Just thinking these might show dirt after we've been hiking/swimming. Of course, my mother's little Bichon is the queen of getting dirty.....

Susan and Oliver

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
OK - one more comment. I love the look of these, but I have big, black, swimming dogs. Could you make a black version with color at the ends? Just thinking these might show dirt after we've been hiking/swimming. Of course, my mother's little Bichon is the queen of getting dirty.....
@Cara Big, black, swimming dogs sound like fun! Was planning to do black, brown, perhaps grey, for people who prefer them to blend with their dogs. If you'd like to be added to the list pls email me sales@oliversgarden.com Thanks!