• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New IRN walking on the cage floor

Buganjimo

Meeting neighbors
Okay, so my IRN (Rhea) is new, I got her yesterday morning. she's almost 3 months old, parent reared, totally skittish, although she is getting more settled today than yesterday and is making (small) progress in her own way. But today, I noticed her pacing on the cage floor, so I looked it up. Most sites sat that it is a sign of boredom and that I need to let said bird out, but the problem is whoever trimmed her wings (when I adopted her she already had her wings clipped) cut them insanely short, and she doesn't have much muscle, so when she tries to jump from perch to perch, she'll sometimes fall flat on the ground, she doesn't 'glide' down like a normal bird would. so I'm afraid that if I let her out, one, she'll try to fly off the cage and fall and hurt herself, or two, I won't be able to get her back in.
Opinions? What should I do?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I had the same issue, and it's not too hard to sort out. Just set up a ladder or a branch for her to get in and out of her cage, if you can't put her cage on the floor. If her only source of food and water is in her cage, she'll return to it.

You can also put something soft under the paper of her cage/just outside of her cage/ wherever you think she'll need it. Just be careful not to use a material she can get her claws stuck in.

Buganjimo

Meeting neighbors
yeah, I've put a towel in the cage, so if she falls the towel with break her fall, but I can try the towels around the cage too, although she might flip out if I tried to move the cage to put it on the ground... she's only been with me two days, do you think its too early to let her out? she still gets really nervous if I stand too close to her cage.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie

Buganjimo

Meeting neighbors
Thanks so much! and while we're here, do you have a suggestion on how many days I should let her settle in before starting some 'training'? (not really training, but more or less getting her used to me standing next to the cage, getting her to take treats from the bars, etc)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Keep in mind that Sherman is no baby.

Something that seems to work was I designated a certain time to Sherman and left the cage door open. That way she came closer at her own pace.

In addition to the fleece inside, her cage is on carpet, so when she goes outside of her cage, she has something to fall on.

@Eloy gave me some excellent advice. Let Sherman figure it out instead of jumping
to the rescue. Put knotted ropes for her to use. Do the same with your baby... Put knotted twine/rope connecting perches.

Something else to consider is asking the AV to pluck the flight feathers so they grow back more quickly. That many of the flying and falling problems.

Buganjimo

Meeting neighbors
Okay thanks, Rhea has definitely learned some stuff, she fell a lot the first day, but less today. I'll try opening the door tomorrow and hopefully it goes okay.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Thanks so much! and while we're here, do you have a suggestion on how many days I should let her settle in before starting some 'training'? (not really training, but more or less getting her used to me standing next to the cage, getting her to take treats from the bars, etc)
Just sit as near the the cage as she is comfortable with and be interesting. Lol. They are curious creatures and their curiosity will eventually over rule their fear. The more you sit near and read or play soft music and sing or even ringneck videos on YouTube and don’t eat her lol, the faster she will adapt.

I’ve had Pavi less than 3 weeks He was a total spaz. He’s already sitting short periods on my hands and my arms and my shoulders. He ALMOST preened my hair tonight then decided he wasn’t quite ready.

Discover a favorite treat (apples usually work well) and put a small piece in her dish every time you have to put your hands in the cage.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You have some good advice from @Feathered up, let her set her own pace, her world has been turned upside down, she's still trying to figure things out, she'll let you know when shes ready. I think patience is the hardest part of getting a new bird and bringing them home....