• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New house for my budgie, please help!

Ioanaalma

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
My adorable budgie, Cipi, lives currently in a Prevue ‘house’ of these dimensions:
26 (L) x 14 (W) x 20 (H) inches
66 cm x 35 cm x 50.8 cm

I want to get her a bigger ‘house’, also Prevue:
26 x 14 x 36 inches
66 x 35 x 91 cm

Would this new cage be good for her, as she is alone in there, and I don’t plan to get another budgie as yet. She tends to play a lot down, on the floor of the cage or she drops on purpose her toys hanging up, on top of the cage and then collects them and drop them in her water boll. I take them out and hang them again and we play this game many times a day! Because I am new to having a budgie, I don’t really know how big her house should be. Please, help me decide if I should buy the bigger cage!

Thank you

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you post a photo of the cage you are considering. Hard to tell from measurments alone.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My adorable budgie, Cipi, lives currently in a Prevue ‘house’ of these dimensions:
26 (L) x 14 (W) x 20 (H) inches
66 cm x 35 cm x 50.8 cm

I want to get her a bigger ‘house’, also Prevue:
26 x 14 x 36 inches

66 x 35 x 91 cm

I would not buy this cage you are looking at. To spend extra money for a new cage it is better to get one bigger in all sides. This new cage you are looking at is the exact same but taller. See if there are any that are a little bigger across and back, as well as height.
Where are you looking at cages? Maybe we can help find you some good cages? :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello::welave:

:needpics:
I'm in agreement with zara. A longer and wider cage is better than taller as birds tend to fly horizontally.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My budgies are in 30x18x18 and it seems a little tight to me. HOWEVER. If that cage you mention is what I'm thinking of, it's actually built in a way that the sides wrap all the way around - so you can get a 2nd one and place them end to end for more space, if that makes sense.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
You could do what Finchly said but considering your budgie liking to be on the floor,I'd suggest you to get a cage with the same height ( taller better ) but definitely a cage with more surface area ( like take that surface area you have now,divide 2 times 3,the more still the better!)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As the others said, I don't think there's much point in getting a taller cage that otherwise has the same depth and width of the cage you already have. Your bird probably won't use the space differently. Instead, try to find a cage that's wider and/or deeper than the cage you have now, especially as she likes playing low down and on the floor.