• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here, have a question! (about new parakeet!)

Emma O'Donnell

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emma O'Donnell
Hello,
I just got a new parakeet on Saturday (Today is Wednesday). I have a cockatiel and another parakeet already, who he has met and seems to enjoy, but Pickle (the new parakeet) seems like he might be sick. My other two are fine, so I don't think it's contagious. After some research I am almost certain he has a yeast infection in his crop. However, the only experienced avian vet I've found online lives about 45 minutes away and costs a lot to visit. I'm only 15 so I obviously can't make the choice of whether or not to bring him to the vet, my parents need to use their time and money, and it's not likely that he's able to go. The only vet we take my other two birds to is relatively cheap, but she doesn't even know how to tell the difference in gender between cockatiels. She doesn't have much experience with parakeets either, I trust her to clip their nails and wings but I would not trust her to diagnose a crop infection.

So, with that out of the way, I have a parakeet that most likely has a yeast infection in his crop (he has an odor) and for the sake of the question, just say that a vet visit is NOT an option. How can I help him at home? I just put a few drops of organic apple cider vinegar in his water but is there anything else I should do? How long should I put the vinegar in his water?
Is it safe for him to be eating or should I have him on liquids-only? Keep in mind that for the days I've had him, he won't eat anything I offer other than millet, and occasionally a few seeds. I've read that feeding yogurt and scrambled eggs is a good idea, but what happens if he refuses to eat it?

Thank you for reading this lengthy post. I'm doing my best to help him, please keep in mind again that I'm only 15 and I can't drive, let alone take him to the vet. Please don't leave comments telling me to do so...I can talk to my parents and ask them, but it's their choice, not mine. Please help give me tips on how I can take care of him at home, because chances are he won't be able to see a vet, and I really love this sweet little baby.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Hi !

The first thing to do is at least ask your parents if they are willing to take him to the vet.

Apple cider vinegar can be added to the water for 2 weeks. Keep in mind though that this is not a true cure, and may only help a little bit, or not at all. If it's a yeast infection, he will need medication from the vet.

Do not feed yogourt, as it is high in sugar, but scrambled eggs or hardboiled eggs are fine. You'll need to still offer him seeds or pellets, as an all liquid diet will not provide him any nutrition. If the only thing he is eating right now is millet, then keep offering that to him (even though it's not ideal.) You want to make sure he's still eating.

Please seperate him from your other birds, as this can be contagious and can spread to your other birds. If your other birds have come into contact with him, they will likely need to be treated as well, even if they are not showing sings of being sick (yet).

Reminder to all members, QUARANTINE your birds !

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I can only second everything @PoukieBear has said.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Pickle. Sorry that he is ill. Agree with recommendations posted by @PoukieBear
Discuss with your parents that he should be seen by a vet and best to be seen by the vet that knows birds.
Hoping all will be well.

Emma O'Donnell

Real Name
Emma O'Donnell
UPDATE:
Thank you for all the advice,
I talked to my parents yesterday about him seeing the vet. The arrangement right now is to try the apple cider vinegar first for a couple days and see if it helps, if nothing changes or it gets worse then we will (hopefully) be bringing him to the vet.
This morning when I went to check on him I was suprised to see him climbing the sides of the cage rather than still sleeping; he seemed a little more active than usual! I didn't get the chance to smell and see if there was still any odor coming from him. I'll be keeping a close eye on him though. I'm really hoping he'll be alright.
As far as my other babies, they still are acting normal, no symptoms of sickness, so hopefully they didn't catch anything.
I will keep everyone updated, hopefully they're all three alright!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
UPDATE:
Thank you for all the advice,
I talked to my parents yesterday about him seeing the vet. The arrangement right now is to try the apple cider vinegar first for a couple days and see if it helps, if nothing changes or it gets worse then we will (hopefully) be bringing him to the vet.
This morning when I went to check on him I was suprised to see him climbing the sides of the cage rather than still sleeping; he seemed a little more active than usual! I didn't get the chance to smell and see if there was still any odor coming from him. I'll be keeping a close eye on him though. I'm really hoping he'll be alright.
As far as my other babies, they still are acting normal, no symptoms of sickness, so hopefully they didn't catch anything.
I will keep everyone updated, hopefully they're all three alright!
Very good news. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I really have no words when someone says a vet visit is not an option. Apple cider vinegar will not fix AGY. It will "R" word yeast growth somewhat

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The R word was a typo i blame on computer. The vinegar slows down the growth of yeast.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Forum Emma,

It somewhat upsets me when I see adults buying their kids a bird, but then they are not willing to provide for said bird, be it vet care, quality food or cage & toys.
I always find the teenagers are the ones who are willing to do everything they can to benefit the bird but have no access to funds. And when mum and dad say no, it is the teenager carrying the worry and the guilt. I just don´t think it is fair.

I would like to add here, that when the situation does arise that the bird needs a vet, take the 45 min journey and see the avian vet, not the cheap vet.
Would your mother have trusted a midwife who couldn´t tell if her baby was a boy or a girl?

You know your parents better than anyone, hopefully you can help them see reason :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It somewhat upsets me when I see adults buying their kids a bird, but then they are not willing to provide for said bird, be it vet care, quality food or cage & toys.
I always find the teenagers are the ones who are willing to do everything they can to benefit the bird but have no access to funds. And when mum and dad say no, it is the teenager carrying the worry and the guilt. I just don´t think it is fair.

Amen to that statement. We see this situation over and over again. I wish parents would need to sign a contract with pet stores before buying a bird saying they will take are of the bird and all expenses.

Emma O'Donnell

Real Name
Emma O'Donnell
I really have no words when someone says a vet visit is not an option. Apple cider vinegar will not fix AGY. It will "R" word yeast growth somewhat
I can't help it. I can't drive and I can't pay for it, it's up to my parents. It's not that a vet visit is completely out of the question, but for the sake of the question, I need advice other than just "take him to the vet". IF my parents will not take him, I still want to do everything I possibly can to help him.

avery a

Checking out the neighborhood
ahh yeah, I've been in a similar situation. I say if you aren't able to take him to the vet, try to keep him away from other birds if possible until you can find out for sure what's going on. hope everything goes well :)

Emma O'Donnell

Real Name
Emma O'Donnell
*UPDATE*
Pickle seems to be doing a lot better than he was and the odor is gone. I'm wondering if he may have had some water in his crop, and perhaps the odor was coming from a lack of hygeine (he can't really bathe at the pet store).
I'll still be keeping a very close eye on him and continue with the apple cider vinegar for another day or two.
I think he is going to be alright! :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!