• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here :D

Scorch

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone!
I just joined this forum after reading like a gazillion threads :wacky:. I used to have my very own budgie, Sky and loved him very dearly. I was extremely devastated when he passed away and I really would like to have another feathered friend. Unlike when I was younger and unable to fully tame a budgie I am willing to tame and become a life long friend to my future baby. I will take my time to decide what species would be best for me ( I am inclined towards Cockatiels:tieln: and Conures:tgcc: ). I will research for about a year because I am currently moving house and it will take a while to settle and want to be absolutely ready for a new member. Any tips on what will be a good first parrot will be appreciated. Thx!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome sorry for your losss

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please stay away from birds in a chain pet store. Check for breeders in your area and find out about each one.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I am sorry for your loss.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello1:
:welcomesign:
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Cockatiels are wonderful little birds!

Scorch

Strolling the yard
Please stay away from birds in a chain pet store. Check for breeders in your area and find out about each one.
I am currently trying to find breeders in my area. I live in Birmingham and if you know any breeders there please let me know. It will help a lot! :)

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:welave:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Or better yet a rescue organization for adoption of a homeless bird.

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Welcome to the Avenue! And good luck on finding a special birdie to share your life with :D:D

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss. I was devastated when I lost my first ever Budgie, Bella, so I know how hard it is.

I'm glad you want to welcome a family feathery friend in to your home once again! I've only ever owned Budgies, so I cannot give you any ideas or suggestions as to which birds to look into. You can, however, check out the "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" threads for each species you may be interested in. Each bird is different, but these amazing threads will give you the general idea of what the species is most like.

While I've never owned any parrot but Budgies, I have still learned quite a bit about several different species from people here on this forum and from other resources alike. In short, cockatiels are fantastic family pets, and even younger children may handle them (under supervision, of course). They are dusty birds (like Cockatoos), and most like to whistle (more the males). The noise level of a cockatiel depends on the bird. Some may be quiet, others may be loud. A lot of cockatiels are a little cuddly and playful, but it is not guaranteed that all are. Like all birds, cockatiels should not be fed an all-seed or all-pellet diet. You should offer your parrot a wide variety of different foods, including vegetables and fruits, sprouted seed, pellets, and dry seed mixes, as well as some bird safe treats in moderation.

As for conures, these little birds are the clowns of the parrot world! Sorry, but I don't know too much about conures, so can't help you out here.

I'm glad to here you are willing to spend the time to research on the different pet birds and their care. Not everyone would be willing to spend a year learning about property parrot care before getting the bird.

Lastly, you will fine that this forum is a lovely community, filled with very helpful and supportive people to guide through the world of "parronthood!"

:)

Scorch

Strolling the yard
Welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss. I was devastated when I lost my first ever Budgie, Bella, so I know how hard it is.

I'm glad you want to welcome a family feathery friend in to your home once again! I've only ever owned Budgies, so I cannot give you any ideas or suggestions as to which birds to look into. You can, however, check out the "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" threads for each species you may be interested in. Each bird is different, but these amazing threads will give you the general idea of what the species is most like.

While I've never owned any parrot but Budgies, I have still learned quite a bit about several different species from people here on this forum and from other resources alike. In short, cockatiels are fantastic family pets, and even younger children may handle them (under supervision, of course). They are dusty birds (like Cockatoos), and most like to whistle (more the males). The noise level of a cockatiel depends on the bird. Some may be quiet, others may be loud. A lot of cockatiels are a little cuddly and playful, but it is not guaranteed that all are. Like all birds, cockatiels should not be fed an all-seed or all-pellet diet. You should offer your parrot a wide variety of different foods, including vegetables and fruits, sprouted seed, pellets, and dry seed mixes, as well as some bird safe treats in moderation.

As for conures, these little birds are the clowns of the parrot world! Sorry, but I don't know too much about conures, so can't help you out here.

I'm glad to here you are willing to spend the time to research on the different pet birds and their care. Not everyone would be willing to spend a year learning about property parrot care before getting the bird.

Lastly, you will fine that this forum is a lovely community, filled with very helpful and supportive people to guide through the world of "parronthood!"

:)
Thanks a lot for the very detailed post! I probably won't get a parrot for a while now as I'm currently moving house and I want to research as much as possible so thanks again! :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welcome2:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:welcomeavenue:

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
Any tips on what will be a good first parrot will be appreciated. Thx!
:welave:
i always suggest budgies as first birds (they don't need as much "out-time" or maintenance, they are super friendly and packed to the brim with personality) but would strongly agree with (yellow-sided green cheek) conures!;)