• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here, conure advice

TyDey

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello I’m new here, I’ve had my green cheek for a little over a year now and I’ll admit now, I’m a worrier. My conure today was louder than normal and wouldn’t let me touch his wing. I tried looking under to make sure he didn’t have anything unusual like a blood feather but he was very nippy and wouldn’t let me touch him. He’s kinda clumbsy and recently got his wings clipped (not his primaries tho so he can still fly just not as high). So I’m wondering if I’m just over reacting or if I should start to worry, or even what I should look out for in the future

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Do you think he is perhaps molting out a feather?

TyDey

Checking out the neighborhood
He molted all through summer. He’s only missing his tail feathers. Maybe there is one under there

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!!!

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Welcome to the forum! :D I'm quite a bit of a worrier myself, and my conure has definitely done this before. He also is clumsy and doesn't let me touch his wings either so I taught him to let me "kiss" underneath his wings, and in turn he will lift them up for me so I am able to get a good look! My conure is a sun however and I do know that green cheeks can be quite a bit more set in their ways lol! Whenever my sun had something like this its usually a new blood feather growing in and it happens to be tender and irritating him, or one of his current feathers is out of place. When he has noticeably dinged his wing somehow he shows it and favors the wing, so I would imagine your green cheek would be visually favoring it if something was wrong with his actual wing.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:hello1: and :welcomeavenue: TyDey!

Maybe he won't let you touch his wings because he found the recent wing clipping experience aversive, or more aversive than usual? Could also be a physical problem as others have pointed out.

Wings help with balance as well as flying, so if he is clumsy, I would seriously consider letting his wings grow out.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Didn't clip primaries.... what was clipped?