• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent NEW HERE...any advice is appreciated!

Russ Fye

Moving in
Real Name
Russ Fye
Hello,

I have a 13 year old Sun Conure named Rascal. Last night Rascal got a piece of fabric from her hut wrapped around her leg. Today (Sunday) it appears that she bit off one of her nails on her sore claw. Her claw is swollen and bloody. She ate this morning and has been moving around her cage. I live in Maine and there is no aviary vets I can see until tomorrow. My wife and I are worried sick. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you all

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Clean the wound with very dilute peroxide, put a tiny bit of triple antibiotic on it and keep the bird contained in a box or small cage until she gets to the vet. An infection is your most immediate concern.

What the vet will be able to tell you is whether the leg was strangulated long enough to kill tissue. Then he will be able to treat it.

Be sure you get her to the vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Clean the wound with very dilute peroxide, put a tiny bit of triple antibiotic on it and keep the bird contained in a box or small cage until she gets to the vet. An infection is your most immediate concern.

What the vet will be able to tell you is whether the leg was strangulated long enough to kill tissue. Then he will be able to treat it.

Be sure you get her to the vet.
...best advice you can get...period...

Russ Fye

Moving in
Real Name
Russ Fye
Thank you everyone. We have cleaned her foot with diluted hydrogen peroxide and put a little ointment on her. She is tired but seems to be doing better. She is off to the vets first thing tomorrow morning. Please keep her in your prayers! ❤

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...sending out good thoughts to Rascal with her vet visit...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I hope all goes well at the vet visit and there is no permanent damage done.

Looking forward to your update after your vet visit.

Best wishes for Rascal!

Russ Fye

Moving in
Real Name
Russ Fye
This morning Rascal had bit another claw off. We went to the vet and they cleaned her up and gave her an antibiotic and pain reliever. The vet thinks she'll be just fine. She is a tough girl and has been eating and getting around just fine. Now she is alseep for the night. Please keep her in your prayers for a quick recovery. Thank you ❤

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
So glad Rascal is on the mend. Just like kids they know how to get into trouble, don’t they? :hug8:

Russ Fye

Moving in
Real Name
Russ Fye
Please forgive my ignorance. I have used the wrong term. Rascal has bit off two of her toes, not just the claws. She now has two toes on her right foot. Supposedly, wild birds sometimes do this if they think it will be a larger issue down the road. Tomorrow I am going to get her a cone so she can continue to heal without any further complications. I appreciate everyone on this forum ❤

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Healing and loving thoughts being sent to Rascal. I really feel for you, this must be stressful for you to watch her go through :bighug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you got her to the vet and that you are planning on getting a cone to prevent her from biting off any more toes. Hope things will get better for her.