• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Hahns Macaw that is terrified.

Mzme

Moving in
Real Name
Mz
Hi There,

I am a little bit worried tonight. I brought home a baby male hahns macaw today the experience was not good. I already have a young female macaw and a male and female Caique. All my birds were handraised and I have no problems with them. My baby girl macaw is gorgeous when i first brought her home she was scared of me but hours later she was like putty in my hands. We love each other and we have great trust.

This new bird wont even let me near him. He is absolutely terrified. I feel sorry for him. The stupid guy i bought him from clipped 1 wing at the counter when we purchased him the bird freaked out. Our birds who have clipped wings have both clipped, this guy refused to clip both only 1 and the bird seems unbalanced :( i had to drive a few hours to get the bird, i was told the bird was clipped, dna tested and rung. He was only dna tested wings not clipped and not rung. Im told he was just weened a few weeks ago. Not sure what to believe. The bird's beak has a few white patches on it. Does this mean he is very young?

So moving forward what can i do to help this little guy? I havent experienced a hand raised terrified bird before. Im wondering was he even hand raised? Do i get the other wing clipped so he is balanced? I dont want him getting hurt if its just the 1 clipped. How do i build trust? With my other birds it just came as natural trust building but with this little guy i feel the trust is broken :(

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think at this point you'd need to have the other wing clipped for balance. Idiot. No wonder your HM is freaked dealing with that and this idiot.
I don't know what "rung" means?
Is he quarantined from your other birds? Do you have an avian vet?
I've had my Hahns since a baby maybe it's 14 years now? I found him very fearful sometimes. I needed to go very slowly and show him things are OK. He did take cues from my other birds so that was a good thing. At first he screamed and was afraid of everything. They are sentry birds in the wild. So I started making some things the things to alert on ( like deer, elk, foxes), and made little birds at the feeder and a new book on the table OK by the tone of my voice and body language. You are not at that point yet. But just be calm, give him places to hide inside his cage behind toys, and keep things slow and quiet for a few days.

Mzme

Moving in
Real Name
Mz
Thanks for that. I'm going to take him to an avian vet tomorrow and have the other wing clipped and have hima checked over. Poor guy will relate Me to thisget stressful experiences. Not off to a great start. After the wing is clipped I'll keep him in a quiet room and have him calm down over the next few days. Hopefully I can start over with him

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
That's a good plan. It will all be OK even after a rough start.
Just do the things you have to do without making a lot of drama and it won't freak him out so bad.
If you have never done clicker training/positive reinforcement check it out. that can help you give him positive experiences with you.