• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New GW Macaw Owner

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
<~~~~~~ so super jealous.
sherri

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
looks 2 to 3 years old based on the video. for the biting sometimes its light for a reason, although it will still hurt for the arm they sometimes will test the integrity of the object before stepping on it. its a big bird make sure you hold your arm stable if thats where he or she steps up. they like security. its ok to allow that nibble before step up. i wouldnt consider that a bite but more of a test to the surface. if he/she does bite the advice above about grabbing the beak works very well its what i do. dont grab it like a savage but firmly grab and pull to lettem know im bigger than you then release. continue to do it quickly without holding the beak long. let em get friendly around your hand i know they’re big but they feel your anxiety. let them know your hands arent the enemy. i clean the beaks by rubbing them and that seems to make them not fear my hands i get licked never bit

deemo

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone for the input. He does not bite when he steps up, its after he gets on my arm he will give me pinches, It left a bruise twice, nothing serious.

Everyone was telling me not to get a Macaw because their loud, they make a mess, etc,
1- They are loud yes, But I used to have 2 conures and 2 caiques, and every morning the noises would do my head in, When a Macaw screams its actually not that bad, My Wife would go crazy when my old parrots used to scream, But she actually thinks the Macaws sound is not annoying.
2- They are not as messy as Conures and Caiques, My Mac does not fling his food at all, Cleanup is easy.

I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and they keep saying they want to touch the birdy, But obviously I cannot let that happen, Did anyone here ever have any success in interactions between a Macaw and a child?

So far, He stays on his cage, playing and destroying everything he can, He already broke the side of my desk, whats the best toys to get for a Mac?

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Did anyone here ever have any success in interactions between a Macaw and a child?
Congrats on your GW s/he is beautiful! I can’t speak as an owner, but my first interaction with a parrot was my aunt’s B&G when I was age 6. Somewhere there’s a picture of me holding him on my arm leaning like the tower of Pisa from his weight :lol:He was an awesome bird but that’s by no means an endorsement...let the mac parronts guide you ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wood, wood, wood - macaws like and need to chew to keep their beak in condition.

@Macawnutz who is one of the administrators on this forums has a toy store. They are the very best macaw toys I've ever seen - Sarah has 8 macaws, two cockatoos and two Amazons, she trains a show the birds professionally. This is her site - and the prices are very good.

Welcome to Seriously Nutz - For The Serious Chewerz!

Children as small as yours just don't mix well with macaws. Maybe your six year old, in a years time with you right there every second. No way with your 3 year old, unless you hold him with his back to her/him and you hold his head firmly - then she can touch his back. Do not underestimate how much damage a GW can do. A GW can permanently damage anyone, but especially a small child with tender skin. Macaws, as much as I love them, I keep a close eye on them, at all times, when I'm interacting with one. And for some reason, I guess because they are a macaw, a GW can just be cranky for no discernible reason. Make very sure that both of your children know that touching or teasing the bird is a no-no.

Your desk will be the first casualty in your house.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Your desk will be the first casualty in your house.

First and not the last. :rofl:

With time you should get to know your sweetie and know whether he is going to be good with kids. Most macaws that are not poked at by children really love how animated and funny kids are. My son has always kept a safe distance and really learned to read them better than I thought he could. Establish your relationship long term before putting your kids in the mix. Have them sing and dance for him, they love the energy kids have, but keep them safe until you know him well. :)

deemo

Meeting neighbors
Thank you again for your input, So, My kids know not to touch, They can look and my older son can give a treat if i am right next to him, but they have never touched him yet, And yes I am fully aware of the damage a GW Macaw can do, and it's not pretty, This was one of my worries when i was getting him, we will see how it goes. I let the Mac do everything on its own terms, and don't push him to do anything.

In regards to @Macawnutz toys, I wish i could order some, But shipping to Dubai would be way to expensive i think, I will check. It seems I am going to spend 200$ a month + the way this Guy goes through toys, he is also quite fond of my son's toys.

I bring my Macaw on a play stand in the living room during the day so they can watch him eat, and wow, can a MAC eat. Today he was finished eating, he dropped both bowls on the floor and started laughing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh I really hope the shipping to Dubai is doable......Sarah’s toys really can’t be beaten for a macaw. Her toys are definite macaw magnets!!!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I've made use of used children's toys - many of the higher quality ones are wood, with non-toxic paint/dye. I do make sure they're clean, but then you can take them apart and reconfigure them how you'd like, and hang them on jute or hemp. Just make sure the length of rope isn't long enough that your boy could get tangled in it. The toys don't need to be pretty. Clean, untreated lengths of pine boards will also be appreciated. You can just fasten a length onto the bars of his cage, and he'll have a great time destroying it. Can you get untreated pine?