• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Grey Owner

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Nutriberries should be treats. It’s not the same as feeding pellets. And as I said judging by what you have said she probably bought the cheapest, nastiest pellets available. Doesn’t sound like she wanted to spend any money on Paco. So yeah he probably didn’t like what she was trying to feed him.

He really does need real pellets. Greys have special nutritional needs and the pellet is vital to make sure he gets everything he needs. Roudybush, Tropican & Harrison’s are all good pellet brands. Give them a shot. If you email Roudybush, they will send free samples. You could also try emailing Hagen for Tropican samples and Harrison’s.

Best wishes :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I have been watching the bottom of his cage and looks like he is eating well. Another question, he uses a water bottle. I would prefer a stainless steel bowel do you think he will adapt? Oh and there is no grill at the bottom of his cage so he has access to old food, my Amazon had a grill.

Kodigirl210

You have to put something down there so he doesn’t pick through his poop or old food. That’s gross and could definitely make him sick.

And yes, he can adapt. Just use both until you see he is drinking from the bowl regularly. :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Yes it is nasty, I will probably end up getting him a new cage. Thank you for the suggestion about keeping the bottle. It was very dirty when I got it, and its difficult to clean.

Kodigirl210

Rinse it really well with hot water and apple cider vinegar to kill of any nastiness. In fact I would let it sit in a mixture 50/50 of water and vinegar if it’s really yucky. :(

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Kodigirl, yes I only give him the nutri berries as treats, he doesn't seem to care for the avi cakes. Thanks for the tips I would prefer to try samples and see what he likes. I don't think she meant any harm however people don't take the time to research what kind of care a bird needs, sit it in a cage and give it bird seed. I have helped many of bird owners in the stores when buying seed and ask them do you give them fresh veggies and fruit. Nope they had no idea.

Pat I missed your comment about the banana foot moisturizer, too funny!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Grey's do well on Harrison's High Potency pellets because of their need for extra calcium. Are planning a vet check up?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I had a suggestion to contact various pellet companies for samples so I can see which ones he likes. I am out of work at the moment, however I have an awesome Avian vet and will have him checked. He was vet checked by previous owner and DNA tested.

Morghen

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
I have been watching the bottom of his cage and looks like he is eating well. Another question, he uses a water bottle. I would prefer a stainless steel bowel do you think he will adapt? Oh and there is no grill at the bottom of his cage so he has access to old food, my Amazon had a grill.
I don't use a grill on my Greys cage because, when he plays, sometimes he'll fall (he's flighted but a clumsy boy) and I worry about him breaking his keel bone (which I've read Greys are more susceptible to doing because of their compactness). I just change the paper everyday and it's been fine.

Kodigirl210

I work and can’t watch my CAG every second of the day. Too much junk falls to the bottom and it doesn’t take but a hour or so for fresh fruit and veggies to start decomposing. I would never risk my Grey’s health by leaving access to junked up food/poop and standing water.

If you are that concerned about your Grey falling, then put the grate back in. Put the food bowls on one side and sitting/sleeping stuff on the other and cover the bottom with a towel with newspaper on top just leaving the area where most of the food would drop down uncovered so the waste can fall through and at the same time your keeping him safe. Just a suggestion.

With warmer weather on the way, food will break down even faster so as das im concerned - no grate no go ;)

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
I am a Master's candidate, while working two jobs, so I'm not home all of the time either. I guess from my observations of Renly, he is much less likely to be on the bottom of his cage eating old food, than he is falling and being stuck in a grate or hurting himself. He's 6 years old and has never had a grate (which was a big suggestion on this forum when I was more active). But he also doesn't spend time on the bottom of his cage. He has an Expanded Habitats cage that I customized without the grate so putting it back in isn't an option and he's never used one anyways.

Depends on your individual bird, it seems. As I said, the no grate approach has been supported by a lot of people on this forum and I think the risks that the grates cause (with caught legs/wings and broken keel bones) aren't worth it for my situation and Renly's behaviors. :)

Aghhh... Grates! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Paper on the grate? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

Wow! I’m so impressed! Like Wow! Like totally!

Last edited:

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Wow! I’m so impressed! Like Wow! Like totally!
I’m not sure what this comment is trying to accomplish. You gave information about how and why you keep your Grey with a grate and I responded. Let’s not get side-tracked from the original purpose of this thread. ;)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thank you all for your comments. I did not know they could break their keel bone. The first day or two I only saw him at the bottom of the cage and pick up something nasty. He is currently in my Amazon's old cage and will be putting him in his original large cage. It does not have a grill.

I can see the disadvantage of a grill, when my Amazon was ill she fell and her foot did get caught in it. Trust me lots of drama and stress there. I will have to keep his larger cage cleaner since there is no grill.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
lucky for me Tinker doesn't poop in or on his cage unless he is left for more than 12 hours. I put paper over the grate as he likes to chicken scratch it some days. He is also very stable on his perches but will play hard and fall of a toy but he seems to be like a cat and lands on his feet.
The grate has 5/8" bar spacing so no worry about his feet getting stuck. If I took it out, a fall would be 4" further and he would land on the bottom tray.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well I've been watching Paco. He poops in the center of the cage and I haven't seen him go to the bottom for food. I have no grate. I"m home too (out of work) So I can clean his cage for now. Will see if I can find a grate as a new cage is not in my budget. Any idea who sells bird cage parts?