• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Green Wing Macaw on the way...

ShadesOfGrey

Checking out the neighborhood
hi all!
I will be receiving a Green Wing baby at the end of September and I have a question that has been worrying me. I have a Cockatoo and an African Grey, both powder-producing birds, and I was recently told I can’t keep these species with oil producing parrots such as Macaws because it causes respiratory issues? (Although my GCC has never had a problem). Have any of you run into this and for those of you who keep both types of birds, do you do anything special to avoid problems. I know that daily showers help a lot. Just want to set all my kids up for success!
Thanks!
-Jenna

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We have had several members here on AA who have lost a bird to this terrible disease and there are members who have had both dusty and non-dusty birds for years with no consequence. The problem is that there is not a sign tattooed on the macaw's forehead that says I'm susceptible to powder down or I'm not susceptible to powder down. Your GCC is also susceptible to PHS.
If you are going to keep both types, there are some things you can do that helps - not eliminates, but helps. Have the birds kept in separate rooms. Preferably at different ends of the house. Have really good air-purifiers next to both your dusty and non-dusty birds and ideally one in between the rooms. You must be immaculately clean and keep the dust down and you must give your dusty birds frequent baths.

https://www.thebirdclinic.com/docs/Pulmonary_Hypersensitivity_2017.pdf

This may be the saddest thread you will ever read, but you should read it. http://forums.avianavenue.com/index...ers-needed-for-zoe.145993/page-8#post-2079810

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Just my 2cents...having read through the posts here where other members have lost their macaws to this condition, I wouldn’t mix the dusty birds with my macaws. I just wouldn’t take the gamble. However, as said above, there are quite a few members here who have kept both in the same house and have had zero issues. So it really is a toss up.
The precautions you can take (great air purifiers, separate sides of the home, etc) would help.

Taraann81

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara Lorenowicz
We have both. We run an air purifier on both levels of the house and keep the macaw on the 2nd floor grey on the main floor aong with frequent showers... Still I worry and I wish I had made a different decision,I had no idea the bond I would have with these birds... if the worst happens I'm not sure how I will cope, but for now I am taking all precautions I know of.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only advice I could offer would be to NOT take the risk. As much as I would've liked to adopt a cockatoo, with my compromised immune system and the fact that I live with two senior citizens with health problems, I knew I would be setting myself (and the bird) up for heartbreak. I strongly encourage you to rethink inviting a macaw into your home when you are already aware of the devastating risks! Your bird will suffer the most!