• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New Gouldian Finch Mom

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They are so cute!

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
They are gorgeous - congratulations!

We are also new to pet birds. We obtained two lovely canaries in December. The breeder also breeds Goldians. My next house will have an aviary - I might have to add a couple of Goldians!

cma2007

Moving in
Thank you so much! and congratulations on your canaries! I would love to see some photos of them and your cage set up etc if possible. I researched canaries too for a long time. It was a tough choice but when I came upon the blues brothers (just a nickname ), no real names yet, I was over the moon as it's my favorite color . May I ask for any tips or tricks, bird likes or dislikes, you have learned over the past few months? I think from one newby to another we could be learning things the others with experience have long forgotten lol! I would be grateful to learn along with you. All I have noticed so far in two days is that they are very shy of certain perches and areas in their cage. I think it will take a long time for them settle in and get comfortable enough to explore.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
All I have noticed so far in two days is that they are very shy of certain perches and areas in their cage. I think it will take a long time for them settle in and get comfortable
You're right there. They are beautiful birds, their colours are amazing. Personal interest, how large are these finches? I know finches in general are small. And more pics plz
:needpics:

cma2007

Moving in
I would guess they are about 4" tip of beak to tip of tail. No more than 5" for certain. They have started to explore more, but still have not worked out a comfort level with everything. They seem to prefer to land on the side of the cage than the perches provided on that side except for home base which is a forked manzanita branch perch from Petsmart. That is their home base and where they sleep. I have used fish tank decor at the back since it can be washed easily, some is inside the cage some out. if I see chewing I will remove it, currently they ignore it.

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I would guess they are about 4" tip of beak to tip of tail. No more than 5" for certain. They have started to explore more, but still have not worked out a comfort level with everything. They seem to prefer to land on the side of the cage than the perches provided on that side except for home base which is a forked manzanita branch perch from Petsmart. That is their home base and where they sleep. I have used fish tank decor at the back since it can be washed easily, some is inside the cage some out. if I see chewing I will remove it, currently they ignore it.
They are soooooo cute. My mother is looking for a companion bird after losing her canary last year. I'll show her those pics, thank you. Obviously I'll recommend a pair.

cma2007

Moving in
They are very entertaining to watch!! but need quite a large cage as it was recommended to keep in pairs (of males). My cage is only barely large enough and I wish I had gotten the larger one but that is hindsight. If you want to check out the specs of mine it is the Hagen Vision L01. Wider is better than taller. Mine is tall enough but even a few inches wider and deeper would have better. I'm learning day by day so please share any tips you have learned from your canary as to likes and dislikes as I'm anxious to learn all I can. Pictures of your canaries and their set up would be welcome too!!

cma2007

Moving in
I finally picked names. I am a big fan of Outlander and we are a retired military family. So as I was observing them it came to me : Freedom and Whisky !! Freedom is the wheat faced and Whisky is the black because he is my bawdy singer. Sits on the edge of his bath/watering hole and sings away! My husband approved of both lol!

I am also attaching pictures of the shipping container as I was very impressed with it and wished I knew what to expect before they shipped to ease my fears. the perch is a round Tupperware glued securely to the base. there appears to have been water in it possibly. there were two heat packs secured also. seed was on the box bottom loose. there was special air filtering mesh over the air holes.

Attachments

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
They are beautiful birds and I LOVE the names you chose for them! How are they settling in?

cma2007

Moving in
They are beautiful birds and I LOVE the names you chose for them! How are they settling in?
Thank you! They are still skittish of abrupt movements near cage or if my hand is inside sometimes but they are starting to use and visit more of the perches. The swings still have them perplexed. they eat seed, millet, and pellets heartily but haven't shown much interest in the fresh offerings or in the live wheatgrass plant in there. Right now I'm trying the dried herb salad. They do not appear interested in bathing yet. Soon I will attempt sprouting seeds. As the breeder said they were 11 months old and only got seed and pellets I think it will take them awhile to recognize other items as food. They are lively and settle well at night so I think they poop themselves out all day. I am quite pleased so far with the progress in only 3 days! Thank you for asking!