• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New friend

csnake91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
Two weeks ago I brought home a new flock member. He is about six months old, and his name is Yuki. If he turns out to be female, I will call him Yumi. I would love any advice ya'll have for a beginning parrotlet owner.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute! Congrats! Two weeks ago, I started fostering a parrotlet. So I'm a beginning parrotlet sort-of owner too. If you lived near me, I would suggest meeting my foster. He's a cutie too and I think would like a little buddy.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Parotlets are soooo adorable!! Welcome to the flock!!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Grats! From the pic you posted, I think I can see a little peek of cobalt on his wings. That's the definitive male/female... males have cobalt underwings, females don't. (They also tend to have cobalt rumps and 'eyeshadow', but there are exceptions both way for those.)

Either way, best of luck to both of you! <3

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
What a cutie! Advice for specifically parrotlets, just try to be ready for some nippiness and some aggressive charges haha And some of them can be extremely fearless, so always keep a close eye on them! Being so small and so energetic, it's so easy for them to get into trouble, so make sure you don't let them out of your sight when they're out of their cage.

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
Awww! Congrats!

If he has dark blue under his wings as mentioned before, it is a boy. Cute name too.

My biggest tip is to find out what treat s/he likes best. For my Burby it is freeze dried strawberries that I get from Aldi. He will do most anything for a berry. My parrotlet learned to fly to me, just by me holding up a berry from across the room lol.

Good luck!