• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New flight cage! Plus breeding question.

Comet

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone! My coworker was kind enough to give me a Ferret Nation cage (1/2 inch bar spacing) that she is no longer in need of. Needless to say, I set it up as soon as I got it! :giggle: It is now home to six budgies and three button quail. Good pictures are a little hard to get with all the lighting coming in through the window behind the cage, but the birds love it! Excuse the excessive amount of wood shavings on the floor, as I still need to get a deeper bottom tray, and the quails are very messy! :loltears:I'll be adding paper towel to the bottom of the cage later this evening, as well as trying to get better photos!

While I am not new to budgie keeping or budgie breeding, I am new to flight cages, and the possibility of breeding in them. I have five females (one still immature), and one young adult male. Would setting up a nestbox in the cage cause too much tension between the females, or would "single" females be able to respect a bonded pair and their nest?
Thank you!

Attachments

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Such cuties, I love quail!

Mates don't share cages so if you want to breed a pair they will need to be housed separately, budgies will kill.

Comet

Strolling the yard
Okay, thanks! I do have separate cages for breeding, when the time comes.
The quails are so cute and entertaining!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ferret Nation has 1" spacing, not 1/2" bar spacing. Critter Nation is is 1/2" so if it is 1/2" it is a Critter Nation ;)

What kind of wood shavings are you using? As some are hazardous to budgie respiratory systems.

Comet

Strolling the yard
Oops haha. Critter Nation cage! :loveshower:

I'm using aspen shavings currently.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Comet

Strolling the yard
Oh my goodness, thank you! I am very excited for a better bottom tray :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You are welcome! I have 3 rat boys in a Critter Nation :) Love that cage! If it had feeder doors I would put my quaker in one!